in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Questions about becoming a midwife

Last post 05-28-2010 12:55 PM by aspiringbabycatcher. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-21-2010 7:26 PM

Questions about becoming a midwife

I'm currently a senior in high school on my way to starting college in the fall.  A few months ago, I discovered an interest in becoming a midwife.  What I would want to do with a career in midwifery is deliver babies and help women in settings outside of a hospital -- so things like home birthing with holistic approaches.  What research I've done on becoming a midwife states that in most cases, I have to obtain a degree in nursing before entering studies into midwifery.  These, I've noticed, are for midwives in a hospital setting, which is not what I'm looking to do.  I'd rather not go through nursing school, considering I do not want to be a nurse.  I understand nursing and midwifery go hand-in-hand, but there are some aspects of nursing that I'm not looking to do.

The reason I'm reluctant to major in nursing is because of my first love, which is languages.  I have a goal of being fluent in six languages (if I realize this goal, I could technically go anywhere in the world and be able to communicate with someone).  Thus, my time in college will largely be consumed with international majors.  My desire to be a midwife is born from a larger vision to volunteer with medical brigades in third world countries.  Of course, I could just volunteer as a translator -- but I'd really like to help women in third world countries with their prenatal health, birth, and postnatal health.  When I was a sophomore in my school's debate program, the topic was whether or not to give foreign aid to Africa.  My affirmative case centered on prenatal and neonatal health, women's rights issues, and safe birthing practices.  It really opened my eyes to the shocking amount of complications and deaths that could be prevented with the right knowledge and tools on hand.

Information on options to midwifery that do not include obtaining a nursing degree is far and few between.  I've read information on direct-entry midwives and apprenticeship programs, but have been unable to find much on where to complete any of this.  Could someone help me?  What options can I do to become a midwife certified to work outside of the hospital that does not include a nursing degree?

Thanks so much.

• 04-22-2010 1:54 PM In reply to

Re: Questions about becoming a midwife

ginger,

Congratz and etc.

Have no clue and really have not that much info on this.  Have seen this topic in threads on here and off of here in the past, but at the same time have forgotten what were my responses to them.

Highly recommend that you check out MT and MTF as well.  Also Our Bodies, Ourselves, The Boston Women's Health Book Collective and their companion website/blog as well.  Found its really helpful no matter what. At same time do recommend that you do additional learning and research besides the books and website I give you to give you. For more info on this.

Hope my recommendations do help you.

Good luck with this.

• 04-22-2010 3:39 PM In reply to

I'm going to chime in here and recommend that you poke around our site before wandering off to another site which may or may not have what you are specifically interested in finding out about midwifery.  If you click on the "shop" button above, you can see that Midwifery Today offers a wide range of books but in particular you may find Paths to Becoming a Midwife right up your alley.  This little gem is chock full of what I think you're asking about.

You may also want to sign up for MT's free e-newsletter which comes regularly to your inbox and  to get a subscription to Midwifery Today.  Both of these publications have a great deal to offer not only midwives but students, doulas and those who are finding their way on the birth path.

How wonderful that you are going into languages and want to use that to help you with your midwifery journey.  When you get to school, you can start looking around for the midwives in the area and you can start finding them by finding out who the local independent (a vital word!) childbirth educators are.  You may be able to start attending general meetings with the local midwives and/or doulas.  There you will find a great group of dedicated women who most likely will take you under their wings.  As you begin studying on your own in preparation for formally studying midwifery elsewhere, you will begin to pick up a huge amount of education right there in the field, from the midwives themselves.  There's nothing like sitting at the feet of wise women!

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 05-28-2010 12:55 PM In reply to

okay- i also know that some requirements differ from state to state.... there is a wonderful distance course offered that lets you pace yourself... so it might work with your college studies.... www.charischildbirth.org and they dont require a nursing degree , check it out and give those ladies a call-- they are super sweet!

Good Luck!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.