in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

GBS protocol

Last post 10-17-2010 6:41 PM by Aubre. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-01-2010 4:26 PM

GBS protocol

I'm curious about other midwives protocol with GBS.  Whether you test for it, what you do for GBS pos moms. 

tiffany

tiffany koss, dem
  • 04-02-2010 4:21 AM In reply to

Re: GBS protocol

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 05-13-2010 5:22 PM In reply to

• Aubre
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2009
    • Posts 75

So, at our birth center, we test/culture all of our Mama's at around 36 weeks.  And actually we have them collect the samples themselves...the CDC has stated that this is just as effective as the provider collecting the sample.  (Our GBS rate is 5%...which is awesome low!)  We attribute our low rates to daily probiotics/live culture yogurt that we encourage all of our Mama's to take.  There is some good data out there (I'll have to get back the actual articles if anyone is interested) that supports the use of these "dietary interventions" and that fostering a good GI flora content does lower the colonization rates of GBS.

That being said, because we are a birth center and have some pesky regulations to deal with...when a Mama is GBS+, we give her IV antibiotics in labor.  Our Mama's spend early labor at home, which is good in this case because they don't end up getting crazy amounts of the antibiotics...I think our average is two doses.  Also, there are a lot of rumors about the CDC releasing new guidelines this summer and some big changes happening....

Aubre Tompkins, CNM
    Wishing you Shade and Sweetwater
    http://www.midwifeyearone.blogspot.com
  • 10-13-2010 2:53 PM In reply to

Aubre,

If you can dig up that data I would love to get a peek at it. I am big on fermented foods and encourage my clients to eat them daily for many reasons but the most practical one (to them) is to help them avoid a positive GBS result. I've been mulling over ideas for a handout and would appreciate any references you can share to start me rolling.

Gillian

Gillian Daley, CPM
    www.BirchwoodMidwifery.com
  • 10-17-2010 6:41 PM In reply to

• Aubre
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2009
    • Posts 75

I will have to dig them up....

Aubre Tompkins, CNM
    Wishing you Shade and Sweetwater