in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Separation of the Pubic Bone... Insight on Subsequent Births

Last post 04-26-2010 11:19 AM by doula at heart. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-19-2010 8:09 AM

Separation of the Pubic Bone... Insight on Subsequent Births

I have a G2 P1 client due March 24 who suffered from separation of the pubic bone with her first birth 6 years ago. From what I've gathered about her previous experience it seems position during 2nd stage and other factors may have had a lot to do with it. But I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this with a client and how they handled a subsequent birth. Is there anything we should do or not do, attempt to avoid, etc.?

midwifecallie
  • 04-14-2010 5:18 PM In reply to

Re: Separation of the Pubic Bone... Insight on Subsequent Births

gee, I could have given you info, if I had seen this in time, sorry. How did it go?  

• 04-15-2010 8:07 AM In reply to

Labor was... interesting but once things got going Mom did great. No issues with the pubic bone in spite of a shoulder dystocia! Mom and baby both did great and postpartum recovery has been going well. Mom says she would never have thought she could feel so good! With her first baby (when the separation occurred) she was on crutches for several weeks after delivery.

midwifecallie
  • 04-26-2010 11:19 AM In reply to

I recently "doulad" a client with a similar case - though it was her 4th.  She had been told after the first to give birth on her side and it really helped.  This time though she wanted an epidural and wasn't able to push effectively on her side - ended up on her back (aargh!) and had both shoulder dystocia (baby was 9lb, 6 oz) and a bit of seperation.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.