in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

TTC/ Expecting in 2010

Last post 09-01-2011 3:31 AM by Chamutal. 139 replies.
Page 7 of 10 (140 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-18-2010 10:10 AM In reply to

Re: TTC/ Expecting in 2010

I wouldn't discount the thyroid and it may take some persistence on your part.  I also wonder with the effects coming after eating "sugary foods" if you are having issues with blood sugar itself. ??  My husband--a diabetic--gets very claustrophobic/panicky when his sugars are off.  A thought.  I don't usually like, however, to attach a lot of hidden meaning and abnormality to a pregnancy.  What are your midwife's feelings about all of this?

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 05-18-2010 10:33 AM In reply to

My midwife was here this afternoon.  A week after dropping my dose things are much more normal.  I am less panicky, my BP is lower (well, 140/72, but the 140 was surely because my DD had just fallen and bashed her leg and her father, my ex, was making critical remarks about my not giving her enough attention over it despite a) him suppoedly being there so i could have my midwife appointment in peace, b) her being in HIS care when it happened and c) her leg being bruised but not severely so, not bleeding or swelling, and a piece of rescue remedy gum and a hug cured her entirely...i am sick of him! lol), the baby's heartrate was normal again (was over 180 last week, was 145-155 today).  The midwife basically feels it was probably my thyroid, since that's all that we've changed in the past week.

I haven't been tested for diabetes, but have spilled no sugar in my urine and last time my dad was here (last week) i tested my blood on his monitor for fun (he's type 2) and it was totally normal about 40mins after eating lunch, which included a big cake and a hot chocolate...

The midwife also said she felt triple iron was a bit of an over reaction but that i could take a prenatal if i had one so i'm doing that.  She's not concerned about it all.

I feel so much better, physically and emotionally, that i'm fairly sure my instinct that it was the thyroid was right.  We'll wait and see i guess.  If symptoms worsen again i'll re-examine.

Me 32, DH 41, DD 2006, DD 2010, DS 2013
  • 05-18-2010 6:32 PM In reply to

Having the thyroid out o' whack can make you feel quite strange.  I'm glad you were able to hone in on what the deal was.  Sorry about the fall+ex incident. Hope things go better in the coming days. Left Hug

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 05-18-2010 7:31 PM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Definitely does sound like you've figured it out.  The fact that your numbers have fallen that much from your norm would seem to be the issue for sure.  I just threw in the idea because it sounded so similar to what I went through.  But being that you have a definite issue with being hyperthyroid sometimes, that is much more likely the cause.  I'm glad you're feeling better already.  I'm beginning to wonder why Hashi's seems to be so common nowadays, or is it just better studied nowadays, so there's more information???  I almost run out of fingers when I count the people I know who have it.  My sister in law was just diagnosed as well.  She's trying to manage it without the meds right now.  She'll have to see how it goes. 

Be well.

RobsGirl, 31
    Wife of one fabulous guy (34)
    Mommy of 3 awesome boys, ages 11, 8, and 4, and a precious 2 year old daughter.

• 05-19-2010 9:02 AM In reply to

WOW I need to get caught up but first a quick quesion:

For those of you with hypothyroidism did you find that once you incorporated synthyroid or began compunding that your energy returned? What about weight loss oafter meds? Noticeable or negligible?

I've added on another 20lbs in like 4-5 weeks and wondering about thyroid too

Cycle flowing pretty consistently with the new moon (1-2days after) so not pregnant yet

Know that a high BMI is a downer for fertility...uuughh

• 05-19-2010 9:41 AM In reply to

Well, i was hypothyroid with very few symptoms for a long time.  I was a little cold (low BBT on my NFP charts but otherwise fairly normal menstrual patterns), about 30-40lbs overweight and a bit emotionally numb (rather than actually depressed) for years.  I did see a doctor about not being able to lose weight, but they just told me to exercise more and eat less.  I assumed every thin person was starving themselves and killing themselves at the gym 7 times a week.

I was diagnosed after DD was actually born.  They only tested me because i had a large goiter (my Hashi's had been creeping and went into overdrive during and especially after pregnancy).  At that point my T4  was very low, and my TSH was very high (27 i think).  But more than that, i was really ill by then.  My hair fell out in handfuls, my resting pulse was 38bpm, i was cold all. the. time., my skin was thick and dry, my eyes and mouth were dry, i had no appetite and was constipated.  I had no energy, and spent time in between runs (i was running to maintain mental wellbeing through a horrible break-up) on the sofa nursing DD and trying to muster energy to cook and clean to a basic standard.  The worst thing, for me, was that my milk supply also dried up.

So i felt massively better on levothyroxine, but i was very ill before i took it.  My energy returned, my hair began to grow in again, my resting pulse increased to about 54bpm, my skin became flexible and soft again, i had an appetite and my constipation went away.  By then i had already weaned, so i don't know if it'd have helped my supply but i assume it would.  Before, when i was ill (but didn't know it, before i fell pregnant) my normal weight was about 210-220lbs (i'm 5'11").  Medicated it's about 170-180lbs BUT i do have to exercise frequently (run about 20-30miles/week and lift weights at a pump class once a week, plus walking a lot and swimming with DD and so on) and be relatively mindful of what i eat to maintain that.

I think thyroid problems are a LOT more common that the medical community accept - i know my sister was symptomatic but "sub-clinical" for a number of years before they finally agreed to treat her.  I believe part of it is prejudice amongst doctors against fat people.  Pure and simple.  Everything that was ever wrong with me when i was heavier was due to me being heavy, EVERYTHING.  No-one ever listened to me, or tried to find out WHY i was overweight despite a strong family history.  When i reported my diet and exercise routines i was simply not believed because, you could see them thinking "if someone ate and exercised like this they wouldn't be fat, right, and look, this chick IS fat, so she must be lying..."  It sucks.

• 05-19-2010 12:40 PM In reply to

Well, I'm significantly past the TTC and/or expecting phase of my life, but I will jump in here since this is resonating with me.  I had heart palpitations with the 2nd pregnancy and they just passed it off as "old age."  Other than the thumpy heart which continued for the next 16 years, I had no other symptoms.  I have gained weight after being a Skinny Minnie and ate horribly really up until the 2nd baby ... but that was passed off, too, to my age and premenopausal symptoms.  (I was 98 lbs when I went into the 1st pregnancy, lost down to 120 and then steadily gained with the 2nd pregnancy and continued gaining until I reached about 170-ish.) I had GD in the 2nd pregnancy.  Everyone said how wonderful and great and different I would feel once I started on levothyroxine and how the weight would fall off and I have felt absolutely no difference.  I have tried and tried and tried to get these 50 lbs off.  I can get it down to 165 and then it goes back to 170 again.  I go to the gym 4 days/week and do cardio and weights and I walk 2 miles 5 days/week.  I would love to do more walking and less driving but live in a fairly rural area and there's no sidewalks and no public transportation. My diet is fairly good I'm not gaining, but I'm not losing.  My husband has heart failure and diabetes so we eat very well now with no red meat, no cookies, no cake, no candy in the house.  I do have the occasional Starbucks lite frap run but it's not every day and not even every week.  My doc just put me on metformin because she's concerned about my fasting blood sugars and doesn't want me to go into full blown diabetes.  The metformin makes me feel like crap most of the time and all the symptoms they said I was supposed to be having w/o the levothyroixine I actually have with the metformin!

So there you go.  Never had thyroid symptoms.  The low thyroid was found on a routine physical blood test.

Susan

• 05-23-2010 6:42 AM In reply to

HI everyone!

Good to be updated with how everyone is doing.

I thought I'd put in a little update of my own.

This pregnancy has been different to my other pregnancies.

I am now 14 weeks plus 2 days today.

I've been really sick this time round, and very very tired.

this week I've started to feel more normal. There's so much work during this season, at the veg garden, and of course having to catch up on all the washing and housework that I've seriously neglected in the last few weeks. My husband is very sweet about it!! LOL

I was complaining yesterday that I can't seem to catch up, and he said "I think you are doing amazingly" which I thought was very kind of him LOL

We decided to have a scan with this pregnancy, as my fundus is VERY high for my dates, which I am one hundred per cent sure about. My freind who is a midwife papated my tummy two weeks ago and the fundus was at 17 week mark. She said she can feel the fundus but not a feotus which is why she thinks I am right about my dates and it could be twins.

So the next day I went to my GP and asked for a scan. as anyone who lives in England will tell you, no one moves themselves too fast here... so it will be 2 and a half weeks before I have this "urgent" scan.

The midwife came to book me in for a homebirth yesterday. I asked her to feel my tummy as it now feels just by my belly button. She said they don't do it at booking in.

I begged her to try and listen in with her sonicaid - at least hearing even one heartbeat would calm me in terms of possible pathology - but she wouldn't. They don't do it at booking!!!!!!!! AHHH the beauty of RED TAPE !!!

She said "Oh well, if it's twins, you will have to go into hospital" and I said  "actually I will still want to have my babies at home".

Hmmm... Feeling a little stressed. What could this high fundus mean?? What if it's not twins but something wrong... And quite honestly, the thing that plays on my mind more than anything, and stresses me more than anything, is what if it's just one baby and nothing wrong and seemingly "No reason" for this... like, my intuition is out?!

I feel a little bit like I am pulled into a whirlpool, and I understand how some people (I see it with clients sometimes) get really hooked on tests in pregnancy. I feel like the more eagerly I wait for the scan results, the less connected I am with my baby and my body, and I wish I wasn't so sensitive.

Chamutal

Doula, Fertility Awareness teacher
    Mother of three home birthed, homeschooled children.
  • 05-23-2010 11:06 AM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Hi Chamutal!! Well, my dear, with your history, especially, it could very well be twins.  On the other hand, yhis is your fourth babe and it could be just a result of that.  The exact thing happened to me (well, not quite at the umbiicus, but measuring 18 weeks at 12).  It was just one bae slightly biggger than expected at that stage.

And I don't think you should feel guilty for wanting a scan.  Really, our intuition is keenly attuned during each individual pregnancy and what may feel very clearly right in one, may feel wrong in the next.  I knew deeply that everything was well with my third pregnancy and did not have any additional testing, whereas during this last pregnancy I wasn't as settled and I felt the need to have more scans.  Its okay, everything is going to be fine.  Its totally understandable that you would like to know if you're having twins.  I'm sorry that you didn't have the opportunity to hear baby with the dopler.  That's odd that the midwife didn't even try.  I so appreciated it when mine tried at 8 weeks even though it was absurd to do so, and guess what??  We heard a heartbeat for a few seconds.  It was so touching. 

Of course you're stressed.  The thought of twins and what that means for your pregnancy, birth and life after they are born is right there on your mind and its hard to ignore.  Just hang in there and take good care of yourself.  Let us know how things go.  :-)

Love,

Robsgirl

RobsGirl, 31
    Wife of one fabulous guy (34)
    Mommy of 3 awesome boys, ages 11, 8, and 4, and a precious 2 year old daughter.

• 05-24-2010 2:10 AM In reply to

Chamutal - i sympathise!  I remember when i had DD the midwives were SOOOO bundled in red tape too.  I was something like 18+5 on an appointment ON my BIRTHDAY and she wouldn't listen with the doppler "because i have to wait until 20weeks - if i listen and hear nothing i'd have to refer you for an emergency scan and they're too busy to cope with that".  Right, great.  And again, they wouldn't feel my fundus until 20 weeks either....

This time around we're using an independent midwife, and she listened for us (and found the baby) at 13 weeks, which after 2 miscarriages made a HUGE difference to us.  She's very flexible and basically explains what she's doing and why the NHS might not - before listening at 13 weeks she made sure i knew that she might not find anything but that everything else felt completely normal, so i wasn't to worry - i think she was pretty sure she'd find it or she wouldn't have listened.  That said, we decided on one scan too (after the losses i just needed to see everything looked good) and they scheduled me an early dating scan because i'd had no period, but only a miscarriage before this pregnancy, and i got it at 15+1weeks!  The NHS are not very well set up to deal with people who have anything but the starndard hop-through-the-hoops type needs.

At 12 weeks this time (#2) i was measuring more like 17 or 18, and there's only one in there, but i spent WEEKS wondering if it was twins, and, if i'm honest, praying it wasn't.  I was very relieved to see one baby on the scan!  

I am at the other end but intuition is driving me mental too.  When will this baby come?  DD came at term+11, will this baby keep me waiting that long?  I'm already as uncomfortable as i was with her on the day before i went into labour, and i haven't had my burst of energy or my day of crying yet!  I sometimes look at the calendar and think "how can i NOT know?!" when the baby is coming.  We're pretty much sorted here now anyway, i have everything, enough things are washed and ready, i have pads, nipple cream, we even managed to get a bedtime snuggly-toy for the baby (which it won't even notice for months!) this weekend.  

I'm 39weeks tomorrow.  I'm ready.  The baby was a bit quieter yesterday but then it was a really hot day and i ended up lying in the sun and getting a bit dehydrated so that's probably why.  My bowels are loose, but then i'm taking iron right now (either the triple iron or just my prenatal depending on how i feel) so that's been ongoing too....

Anyone care to take a guess on a birthday?  I am thinking May 28th, June 1st, June 4th or June 11th.....

• 05-24-2010 2:40 AM In reply to

Thank you so much ladies. This really helps. OK I am probably pregnant with just one baby then!!

Three days to go and i will know for sure....

had to bring down maternity clothes from the loft yesterday. Now I feel comfortableSmile Was glad to see I actually have quite nice clothes and I forgot all about them so it feels like a new wardrobe LOL

I have a proper bump!!

Just wanted to say thanks - I am rushing out for the bank, Home Ed social group and then my son's choir recital. What a day.

Chamutal

• 05-24-2010 3:50 AM In reply to

WorstFriend: My guess is labor beginning on the FUll Moon May 27th. Soget hydrated, start nesting and let the smooches begin!

• 05-27-2010 10:47 AM In reply to

DD was born on the New Moon, actually almost first quarter.  Though she was due around the full moon.  I usually bleed at the full moon but because the last time i bled was a miscarriage, not AF, i don't know how that leaves me.

I did joke ages ago to DH that i'd have the baby on the 28th but i was joking!

What does mucus plug/show look like?  I never saw it with DD, thought i saw it earlier on with this one (when i lifted too much when moving house) but we never really decided if it was mucus plug or not (wasn't bloody).  I'm seeing yellowish snotty stuff on the TP when i wipe (TMI, you're welcome! LOL), once last night and a couple of times today.  I have also been weepy and "over it" today, so maybe this is the beginning of something.  Baby is alive (as witnessed by very occasional kick and wriggle) but pretty quiet by it's own standards.  I had a headache earlier, but it's mainly passed now.

I had a crummy night's sleep - slept right through, but had terribly vivid and disturbing dreams, that DD had a toddler-boy robot doll, which was super annoying.  It looked and acted like a normal male toddler (and looked a bit like DH!) except that it had a switch on it's upper left chest which turned it off.  Every time i turned it on it was so annoying i kept hitting it (which was REALLY disturbing, as it just looked like a baby, and i was slapping its face and dragging it about by the hair and such!  I don't spank DD at ALL!) and whenever i switched it off it's little face froze and i felt like a murderer.  In addition i had a bunch of contractions painful enough to get into my dreams but not painful enough to wake me up, which disturbed me even more.  I ended up sleeping on the sofa between 8am and 10am with DD sitting beside me watching kids TV (mummy of the year, that's me!) and actually got more rest then than in bed!

*sigh*  DH has been invited to do a presentation to the National Head of his company (an international company) on our due date, and as much as i am over this, i really wanted him to be able to do it.  It kind of relies on him being able to be in work at least his usual hours between now and Tuesday afternoon...  After that it doesn't matter.  Actually, as he keeps saying, even before that it doesn't REALLY matter, since the baby will come out when it comes out, but it's a pretty big thing for his career, i'd really like it if we could work out a way to get him to do it.

• 05-27-2010 2:50 PM In reply to

Hmmm... Interesting dream. I've been collecting pregnant womens' dreams for a project... Do you mind if I collect yours?

DH is right... baby will come when it comes...

Is he going to do the presentation? I know what you mean about wanting him to do it, I really identify with that.

MY NEWS

Had scan today

ONE BABY!!

Massive, size of like, a 20 weeker. But development to date. So no qualms about my due date (I should think not as it was dated by my ovulation according to careful charting).

Placenta large and high, so together with the baby, who is a good 4.5 cm bigger than expected, really does explain the hight of my fundus.

OK panic over.

Worstfriend, have you seen this really annoyng "plenty" advert on TV?

With the mexican who runs into the kitchen shouting  "Juan sheet of plenty is enough for any spill"?

Awful awful advert :-)

When we came out of the scan DH said (trymphantly may I add, he was so worried about the prospect of twins) "Juan baby is enough!" So now belly name is Juan LOL

Big day today. I feel tired now. DD gave me hell trying to get her to sleep and now she has rolled herself in a blanket and is sleeping on the living room floor. I felt so cross with her as she was trying to wake her brother to buy herself more awake time. Now my heart goes out to her. She looks so small sleeping on the floor. DH will have to carry her to bed soon.

It was so funny to be at the hospital (haven't been there for myself for years as always had home births and no scans).

We declined anomaly scan at 20 weeks. Poor receptionist couldn't compute. Then they actually made us wait away from anyone else (In case our revolutionary ways might be contagious HA HA)

Then a whole performance about the FP blood test which we decline and this needs to be documented but we are not holding our notes (As still with community midwife after booking appointment) The midwife says "Who is your midwife"? In a voice like one can see she would like to personally tell her off for it. LOL everyone likes to say other people are not doing their jobs properly.

So here we are.

Chamutal

• 05-27-2010 3:42 PM In reply to

Chamutal, have you seen The Mother-to-Be's Dream Book--Understanding the Dreams of Pregnancy by Raina M. Paris?

Susan

Page 7 of 10 (140 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last »
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.