in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Intramuscular injection after labour in water

Last post 01-06-2010 11:46 AM by marlenecpm. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-02-2009 11:42 AM

Intramuscular injection after labour in water

Very odd statement repeated to me today - a woman told that if she labours and birth in water she cannot have an IM injection within the hour because the skin gets too soft and wrinkly??? 

I think its a load of baloney.  Lady was reconsidering her waterbirth as she had been told she could not have a oxytocic injection due to the reason stated and she didn't want to wait for the placenta to come naturally.  Anyone ever heard of this???  I googled and couldn't find anything.

Mud

Proud to be a midwife.
  • 12-03-2009 6:09 AM In reply to

Re: Intramuscular injection after labour in water

Unless her BMI is about 15 i cannot see it!  The thighs don't become wrinkly even after hours in water (ex-long-distance swimmer here!).  It sounds lik a fear tactic to preventwater birth.  I personally know a woman who had babe in water and then enough of a PPH to need syntometrine, all went fine.

Me 32, DH 41, DD 2006, DD 2010, DS 2013
  • 12-03-2009 3:43 PM In reply to

My question is why is this even a question?  Mom doesn't want to wait for the placenta?  That's a little odd, isn't it?

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 12-04-2009 1:37 PM In reply to

It's a threat - "you can have your waterbirth, but if something goes wrong with the 3rd stage we won't be able to help you".  I have also heard "the midwife you get might not be specifically trained in waterbirth so there is some increase in risk of the baby drowning" (as if the baby will be able to see well from the vagina, and will know by looking if the midwife has said training and take a big deep lungful of water if she hasn't!). 

Or alternatively but equally possibly mum has heard of people having a waterbirth but not a physiological 3rd stage.  Physiological 3rd stage is rare in the UK, even at home and isn't discussed as an "option" unless mum brings it up herself.  Of the immediate women i know (in real life) who had NHS HB's all had a medically/chemically managed 3rd stage.  Even if you put it in the birthplan it is a rare NHS midwife who is completely comfortable with it.  Our hospital system (which is where all HB midwives work when not out on the rare homebirths) doesn't support midwives in becoming comfortable with it either.

It was in my plan tha i wanted a physiological 3rd stage.  After DD was born the midwife waited a little but when it had been "too long" she began using cord traction, during which i could feel my uterus shifting down and was VERY nervous of the cord snapping.  She looked very worried and i said "please don't pull, give me the synto if you need to" and she did.  Only later did i see my notes - my 3rd stage, in total, was 7 minutes!

• 12-04-2009 6:00 PM In reply to

What you described above is what I see in US hospitals. The one I like is, "We don't like you to have a waterbirth with the first baby because something may go wrong."  Like something can't "go wrong" with the 2nd birth or the 3rd ... ? What magically goes wrong with #1 that can never go wrong with susequent births?  It's a clear message:  "Birth is dangerous and women's bodies are not to be trusted.  And whatever you do, don't trust the baby at all!"

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 12-05-2009 12:35 PM In reply to

THe mother didn't want to wait for the placenta  - actually I have found that many woman are put off when you say the placenta may take longer to come physiologically.  Although when it comes to it they are so involved with baby that they don't really notice that it came naturally and the injection wasn't necessary.  . 

I would disagree with the statement that UK midwives don't know how to do a physiological 3rd stage.   I feel far more comfortable doing a physiological than a managed... I saw and did both during training and as I've said - more comfortable letting it come naturally than having to use control cord traction.  We can't ever generalize... not about women and nor about midwives - we are all unique.

Proud to be a midwife.
  • 12-07-2009 3:28 AM In reply to

Mudwhiff i'm sorry, i didn't mean to offend - i didn't mean there are no UK midwives who prefer physiological 3rd stages, i just meant that i have never come across one within an NHS setting and i know (because i have seen repeatedly) that my local NHS board does NOT support midwives in "allowing" them, however comfortable the midwife might be with them.  I have also had a student midwife tell me that she was taught that they "are much more dangerous for mum and lead to an incease in maternal death" - i have to hope she'd not been paying attention!  You are a rare breed and your local NHS Board and the women it serves are lucky to have you!

• 12-07-2009 6:46 AM In reply to

No offence taken...Smile

Just wanted to reassure that not all NHS midwives are the same. 

Proud to be a midwife.
  • 01-06-2010 11:46 AM In reply to

I too really wonder about a mom who doesn't want to wait for the placenta to come naturally?! Will she wait to go into labor naturally? Why is she in such a hurry to get the placenta out? Has she had some bad 3rd stage problems leading to this fear?

I thought getting baby to nurse was the fastest, easiest, and  by golly, most natural way to get the placenta out, no?

Other alternatives to waiting, nursing or injection, is a squirt of either Angelica or Motherwort tc, SL to hasten the plaenta.  And worst case scenario, pit could be given IV in the anticub. if indeed she really needed it and the muscles were to mushy to inject IM.  In any case, I wouldn't let the fact an IM injection may, or may not be possible scare me out of a waterbirth, if that's what I wanted to do.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.