in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

CNM wants me to take 2 GD tests because my mother had GD. Standard?

Last post 10-24-2009 12:51 PM by moasaemma. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-07-2009 1:22 PM

CNM wants me to take 2 GD tests because my mother had GD. Standard?

My CNM is wanting me to take a gestational diabetes test before 20 weeks and then take another one later on in the pregnancy, at the standard GD test date. She said it's because my mother had GD. Is this normal? I'm not stoked about it, but it's not a huge pain in the butt. What are the chances I could get GD because my mom had it with one out of 4 of her pregnancies? I did not have GD with my first pregnancy. I am a healthy eater.

Thanks in advance!

labor doula
  • 10-07-2009 2:24 PM In reply to

Re: CNM wants me to take 2 GD tests because my mother had GD. Standard?

How on earth is testing at 20 wks even remotely accurate?

Sounds like total fear-based overkill to me, based on what you have shared.

• 10-16-2009 7:40 PM In reply to

I asked one of the CNMs at the hospital about it and she said it's standard everywhere. Is that true? I still haven't taken the test and am not sure I want to if it's not necessary.

I'd like to get more opinions, please.

labor doula
  • 10-17-2009 2:20 PM In reply to

"Standard everywhere?"  really?  Even our medwives here don't test at 20 wks!!

How about, "Did I say my mother 'had GD?' Silly me.  I thought GD meant she was a great dancer."  ... Although I doubt they'd go for it.

You can always say, "No, thank you."  You can read up on gestational diabetes on www.hencigoer.com and Ina May, Marsden Wagner, and Sarah Buckley have good info too.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 10-24-2009 12:51 PM In reply to

I am sad that so many midwives are learning fear and passing it on to their clients. As a CNM student I often am shocked by the medicalization of nurse-midwifery care. Please listen to the wise voice of Dr. Michel Odent in this article. It will provide you with evidence based material to open a discussion with your nurse midwife. Remember.... informed consent always means that you have the right to say yes or no to the testing.

Edited by Brlnbabies, Moderator: I removed the article as it's against MT Forum rules to post entire articles.  Here is a link to the article cited above: http://rixarixa.blogspot.com/2008/01/michel-odent-on-gd.html

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.