in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

No midwives in my area, questioning my OB practice

Last post 04-22-2013 1:03 AM by BirthwithLiz. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-17-2009 11:27 AM

No midwives in my area, questioning my OB practice

I am in an area of Virginia where there are no practicing midwives within a two hour drive. Because of this, I am forced to use an OB practice. When I discussed my wishes and the procedures used commonly by the practice I felt like my plans and the doctors' were not going to mesh. I was wondering how much of what the doctors want to do can I refuse? Pitocin? Episiotomy? IV fluids? Is it possible that the hospital can refuse to treat me if I do not consent to their interventions? There are only two hospitals in the area that I know have a L&D department. Both are close minded about how a woman should labor and deliver. Any suggestions?

• 09-17-2009 8:39 PM In reply to

Re: No midwives in my area, questioning my OB practice

What a shame that you feel already that you will have to fight with your "care" provider!

Initial questions for you:

• Can you take a childbirth class from an independent educator, one not affiliated with the hospital?
    • Can you hire or get a doula?
    • How supportive is your husband/partner?
    • Is there a family practice doctor who takes care of pregnant women and who catches babies?

You can also plan to get to the hospital in very late labor (hopefully with the help of a doula) so that you are spending less time there.  Less time = less possiblility for intervention.

Yes, you can refuse anything at any time.  I do not believe that they can refuse to treat a pregnant woman regardless of how much "treatment" she refuses.  I believe that's part of the EMTALA deal. (Emergency Medical Treatment/Active Labor Act)  Now, they may make you sign a form saying you are doing things  "against medical advice" (AMA) but I doubt it.  Your doctor may decide to not care for you but somebody would have to take over your care.

Marsden Wagner, in his book Creating Your Birth Plan  writes, "Any woman who finds herself laboring in an adversarial situation or confronting non-compliance with her wishes should repeatedly use such phrases as 'It's my right under the conditions of participation to decline a, b, or c procedures' or 'If you perform an intervention without my consent, I plant to file a complaint for violating my legal rights under CoP.'" (p247) The book is a gem.  Get it if you don't have it already.  Keep reading it if you do!

Again, getting there as late as you possibly can may just protect you against the interventions you mentioned ... until the baby comes out.  Then you'll probably have to face another uphill battle.  I tell my students, "Don't let go of the baby!"

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 09-30-2009 4:26 PM In reply to

How sad! May I ask what part of VA you're in? We might turn up a midwife yet! I agree w the previous poster, if you feel you must go to the hosp.  get a doula (or better yet, a monitrice)  and stay home as long as possible.

If everything stays normal, it is possible to just stay home period. Personally, I would rather stay home unattended than to go to the hosp.  but that's just me. hosp's scare me!

you do have the right to refuse anything you want, but remember to chose your battles wisely. when in Rome...  you hire the hcp of your choice to care for you, that makes him or her YOUR servant, not visa versa.  

• 09-30-2009 5:49 PM In reply to

I am in southwest VA on the border of northeast TN. I would really love to find a medical professional that is sympathetic to my desire for a no to low intervention birth. I think my next step is to call the hospital and see if they will recommend a doctor to me or tell me if there are any doulas in the area. The only doula I has heard of moved out of state. Very frustrating.

• 09-30-2009 8:49 PM In reply to

Calling the hospital will probably not be very helpful.  Find an independent childbirth educator (Bradley, CAPPA, Lamaze not associated with a hospital or doctor's office) and ask those (usually) women who they'd recommend.  You want an independent teacher because she has no loyalties to anyone.  She's in business for herself.  The hospital is apt to say, "All our doctors are fabulous" and may not give you any info on doulas.  They might be surprising helpful, but most likely not.  Next step:  Call all your La Leche League Leaders and ask who the doulas are in the area.  Once you get the doulas, you get the skinny on the docs. (See how this is working?)

Are you close to Johnson City TN?  There's an absolutely fabulous and wonderful certified nurse midwife friend of mine in Johnson City. At the very least, she may know someone who knows someone.  Feel free to email me privately for her contact information.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 10-01-2009 1:49 PM In reply to

1) Is there a family practice doctor you could see?

OR

2) Are you close enough to TN to see a midwife there?

• 10-01-2009 6:49 PM In reply to

How do I know if a family practice doctor delivers without calling them? I think I am going to try to find a Bradley/Lamaze class and ask the instructor if  they have a practitioner they recommend. This has been mentioned by previous posters as a reliable means of reference.

I am about an hour away from the city limits of Johnson City, TN. If I did not have a toddler that had to travel with me to appointments then I would definitely consider the drive. I just cannot pack him up in the car for a two hour round trip drive every time I have an appointment. Does your friend know of any good physicians or doulas in the Bristol, VA/TN area? I would love a recommendation.

Okay, I just checked the official Bradley method site and there are no instructors in my area. The Lamaze site lists one who is a little over an hour away. I e-mailed her. We will see if I get any positive feedback.

Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone!

• 10-02-2009 5:50 AM In reply to

The Johnson City midwife comes to you; you don't go to her!  She drives farther than you to attend prenatals!!

Find the closest Bradley teacher and/or provisional (scroll down the teacher page for the provisionals) and ask.  You want an independent Lamaze instructor, not one affiliated with a hospital.

As far as family practice docs go, you look in the phone book and it will usually say they take obstetric patients in their ad.  Otherwise, yes, you call them and ask.

You've got to do a lot of leg work to get what you want sometimes. Gift

Susan

• 10-28-2009 2:39 PM In reply to

"The Johnson City midwife comes to you; you don't go to her!"

Yeah, I 2nd that. I'm not her, I'm in OH, but I do all my prenatal care at my clients homes too, often traveling 2 hrs each way for prenatals & births. That is just one of the many differences between the Midwifery Model and the Medical Model of Care!  I have even driven 7 hrs to New Market, VA for the births of a good friend. 

You could also try contacting MAVW (Midwives Alliance of West Virginia), to see if they know anyone near you.

• 03-25-2013 5:29 PM In reply to

• Sam
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-25-2013
    • Posts 1

I know this was from few years back, but here I am in 2013 and in the SAME situation.  I was appaled at my OBGYN's reaction to my "planning" for several months prior to concieve.  his response was "well, most people get drunk and get knocked up in the back of a car.  you are way ahead of the gang."  I was upset and very defeated to say the least.  So, that pretty much sealed the deal for me to go an alternative route.  I am looking for a community of like minded people that understand where I am coming from.  

DId you have any luck finding any options in our area.  I am in Bristol TN.  I have also contacted the aforementioned Midwie as well.  Thanks for all of your time.

Sam

• 03-29-2013 8:34 AM In reply to

I know a great midwwife in Sevierville, TN. I don't know how far that is from you, Jonhstown is closer, I know, but if you contact her, she would probably know who's around there, even if she can't help you herself. Call Cathi Cogle 865-577-0038.

• 04-22-2013 1:03 AM In reply to

You can try www.doulamatch.net for a doula in your area. There might be someone on there who can help you find a midwife.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.