in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Australia

Looking for Childbirth Art for Exhibition

Last post 12-18-2009 9:18 PM by FangedFaerie. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-17-2009 9:30 AM

Looking for Childbirth Art for Exhibition

I'm a full-time undergraduate at Marshall University in WV, and I'm currently doing research for an honors art history class. I'm seeking art (including photography) depicting childbirth from various times and cultures, including the contemporary USA, as well as objects/artifacts associated with childbirth.

The final project will be an exhibition in Huntington, WV in mid-November, though I have not yet reserved the venue. This project is educational and not-for-profit. Any materials borrowed will be returned to their rightful owners as soon as the exhibition is over, if not sooner.

If you or someone you know has information or would like to participate, please let me know! Thanks!

• 09-26-2009 2:41 PM In reply to

Re: Looking for Childbirth Art for Exhibition

I'd be happy to email pictures of my collection and see if there's anything of interest...paintings, sculptures, photos...you name it, I've got it :)  intothesehands@yahoo.com

Love and Light,

Jill

"Always Trust The Process"
    http://www.intothesehands.com
  • 09-26-2009 2:47 PM In reply to

I have a Birth Gallery on my website.  It includes contact info fo most of the artists.  You may find some of it useful.

http://www.fyrestormcreations.com/id35.html

• 09-26-2009 3:23 PM In reply to

I am a yoni and childbirth artist.  My name is Dana Leggett.

This is a link to some of my art.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/album.php?aid=98737&id=99543265754

• 09-26-2009 4:05 PM In reply to

I would be happy to email you some photos.

Please let me know where to send them.

jeni

• 09-26-2009 4:37 PM In reply to

sounds like fun! I work at a photographer and artist..you can check out my work at www.judithkuegler.com

• 09-27-2009 9:16 PM In reply to

Wow, I got a lot more responses since my post was moved to a better forum! :)

I've looked at the galleries that are linked here. What beautiful work! My first thoughts are that I'm glad to have various media to request from, and that this exhibit may become even larger than I originally hoped with this much good feedback!

I'll be starting to contact people Monday, Sept. 28. I haven't reserved the meeting room yet, but I'll do that this week. My plan will be to display matted or framed works on the walls or with easels depending on what I can get together. I have to look into printing costs for digital media, but I don't think that will be a barrier.

I've made my email address public if you would like to contact me directly. Thank you ladies so very much!

• 10-05-2009 8:49 AM In reply to

I have more details now:

I have reserved Meeting Room #1 at Cabell County Public Library for 3pm - 4pm on Thursday, Nov. 19. Their calendar is fairly open, so I can easily reserve another day/time if I get requests to do so.

I'm also looking into reserving one of the presentation rooms at Drinko Library on Marshall University's campus. In addition, there are display cases on the second and third floors of Drinko that I can "borrow."

My email address is: burdette9@marshall.edu

If you're interested in loaning pieces for the presentation, please let me know! I currently have several good options for celebrating natural birth, and other aspects/depictions of childbirth are welcome, as well.

• 10-14-2009 10:54 AM In reply to

I have my art at tonicreatesart.blogspot.com... if you see anything there that you are interested in, let me know. Otherwise, I can create something new if you are lacking something in particular. :) My email is reikibirth@gmail.com.

Blessings,
    Toni
    Filed under: ,
  • 10-15-2009 7:54 AM In reply to

Hello, I have some birth pictures I could share with pleasure...I also have a very unusual and old cloth sculpture, quite small , of 3 midwives encircling a pregnant woman. I think it would make a wonderful addition to this type of exhibition. Please advise where I can send pictures. Thank you for doing this. Donna Harnett, Cherry Valley, NY 

• 10-23-2009 9:47 PM In reply to

• minkajane
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-18-2009
    • Franklin, OH
    • Posts 7

I'm from Huntington and I went to Marshall, so I am absolutely thrilled to hear of this exhibition. Huntington NEEDS education, discussions, and options for childbirth, desperately. Although I have nothing to contribute, I will definitely try to make it to the exhibition. Will it be in the art gallery in the building next to Old Main? I live 3.5 hours away, so I hope I'll be able to make it.

Mandy, childbirth educator, lactation educator, and aspiring midwife.
  • 10-26-2009 7:49 AM In reply to

The exhibition will be:

3pm - 6pm
    Thursday, November 19

455 9th street, Huntington, WV
    Cabell County Public Library
    Meeting Room #1, 3rd Floor

The easiest approach is heading East on 5th Ave (one-way street). Stay in the far left lane, and the parking lot is between City Hall and the library on the left, just past the 8th street intersection.

I asked about venues on campus, but they're all booked through the end of the year.

I'm sorry I've been lax about contacting you guys. My family got hit pretty hard with the flu and I've been scrambling to catch up on missed classwork. I'll be requesting meetings this week and weekend! :)

Jacqueline Webb
    burdette9@marshall.edu
    (304) 563-7518

• 10-26-2009 2:09 PM In reply to

Due to all the interest I've seen and heard about this project, and in order to work with the library's schedule, the date, time, and room for the exhibit have CHANGED. The final, official information is:

5pm - 8pm
    Wednesday, November 18

455 9th St.  Huntington, WV
    Cabell County Public Library
    Meeting Room #2, 3rd Floor

Thank you!

• 10-26-2009 7:44 PM In reply to

• minkajane
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-18-2009
    • Franklin, OH
    • Posts 7

Aw man, now I definitely can't go. I have class Wednesday nights. Sad

Mandy, childbirth educator, lactation educator, and aspiring midwife.
  • 10-27-2009 12:25 PM In reply to

Awww, minkajane, I'm so sorry! If it goes well, I'll see about repeating it. I definitely agree that we need more public awareness that birth doesn't have to be treated as a medical event!

I'm currently free after 4pm on Friday, anytime on the weekend, and after 3pm on Monday if anyone wants to meet with me about pieces for display.

I am VERY interested in photos, and I'll be happy to look at any and all albums anyone has. Please note! I don't want to put any up without a signed consent form (I have one typed up) from the people depicted. :)

~Jacqueline Webb
    burdette9@marshall.edu
    (304) 563-7518

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.