in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Australia

What prenatal care tests do you think is most necessary?

Last post 09-18-2009 5:56 AM by Brlnbabies. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-09-2009 8:59 PM

What prenatal care tests do you think is most necessary?

Hello,

I'm somewhere around 11 weeks pregnant and I'm wondering what are the most necessary tests? I am low risk and the only "complication" with my previous pregnancy was GBS.

I'm receiving most of my prenatal care with CNMs at the local hospital, since it's free (we are military) and am paying out of pocket for my homebirth with a local CPM, who will start seeing me for prenatal care after 30 weeks. I am trying to figure out what things I can skip, prenatal wise, since I feel there is no reason for added stress.

Thanks!

labor doula
    Filed under:
  • 09-16-2009 1:28 PM In reply to

Re: What prenatal care tests do you think is most necessary?

I need to know if a client is Rh neg or pos. which I can find out with a $6. Eldon card. If neg, I need her antibody levels. Rarely, I might recommend an US, but never before 20 wks! If a client appears unhealthy in any way, or her diet is chronically deficient, I might want other tests, but none routine, just as indicated. I do check hemoglobin & blood sugar at home, anything further I would refer to a lab. I know many younger midwives feel more comfortable doing a lot more tests than I do, and if you're in a state that requires midwives to be licensed, they may need to do more testing just to make the powers that be happy.

BTW, I hope you have researched and know what to do to kill off the GBS before they test yo this time!

• 09-17-2009 9:08 PM In reply to

• Adrienne
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • South Carolina
    • Posts 35

some states also have laws mandating certain prenatal tests such as rubella, HIV, etc.

good to get informed about these, and know you can always sign an informed refusal of anything mandated or offered your way!

• 09-18-2009 5:56 AM In reply to

Very good info to get informed about the tests Adrienne mentioned above. In my state, if a pregnant woman refuses the HIV test, her baby must be tested for HIV which is quite an ordeal for a newborn.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.