in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Dopplers--are they safe?

Last post 09-16-2009 11:38 AM by marlenecpm. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-09-2009 8:50 PM

Dopplers--are they safe?

Hi there,

I'm curious about the safety of dopplers to babies. Can anyone enlighten me or at least give me your thoughts on it? I had read somewhere that dopplers are stronger than EFM, and I have seen some babies go crazy when EFM is put on, like they're trying to get away from it. How would you compare dopplers to ultrasounds as well, since there may be risks with ultrasounds?

Thanks,

Ali

labor doula
    Filed under: ,
  • 09-09-2009 11:43 PM In reply to

Re: Dopplers--are they safe?

Hi Ali,

Hand held dopplers are 30 x stronger than an imaging ultrasound--Anne Frye. The average imaging US takes at least 30 minutes to complete depending on the skill of the tech. With doppler you're only listening for 1 min or so at a time. EFM is often left on for hours or days depending on how long labour is. I listen with a fetoscope until labour so not to expose babies needlessly, then a water proof doppler so not to disturb the mother during waterbirth-but leave it up to her.  I give moms information about the risks but missed a breech once when mom declined routine US which ended in c-section, sigh.

http://www.whale.to/a/ultrasound_unsound.html

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/ultrasound.asp

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/ultrasoundwagner.asp

I am woman, mother, midwife giving birth to myself
  • 09-16-2009 11:38 AM In reply to

Re: Dopplers--are they safe?

It will probably never be proved to everyones satisfaction whether or not they are safe. The health care industry would loose to much money if it proved they weren't. What we do know for sure is that babies don't like it & try to move away from it whenever possible! That should tell you something!  Doris Haire has an excellent video explaining the dangers. I can't begin to do it justice here. According to the AMA & ACOG, the possibility of getting sued for not using it, and the complications it can detect if used, outweigh the comfort of the fetus, and the dangers is does pose if used. 

I prefer to follow the Hippocratic oath... "above all else, do no harm"  better safe than sorry. I avoid using doppler whenever I can hear FHT's with a fetoscope.

BTW... I wonder why more docs don't follow the Hippocratic oath. I also wonder why they seem to change the wording to suit them. Did you realize, it used to say they would promise not to do abortions? That magically disappeared from the wording. It also said the docs would promise to pass on their lifesaving knowledge FREE of charge to all whom desired to learn.  Hmmm. wonder what else has changed since Hippocrates wrote it?  

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.