in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

unsafe water?

Last post 08-21-2009 5:23 PM by midwifea. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-19-2009 6:41 PM

unsafe water?

Almost had another waterbirth. Trouble is, when the tub was filling, it looked pretty nasty. We put some Hibiclens in the water for good measure. The mom had a posterior baby and was just about beside herself with the discomfort, so she got in the tub, but as labor progressed, we were feeling very unsure about the quality of the water, so we convinced her to get out during 2nd stage. She ended up birthing standing on one foot, with the other up on the bed.

Anyway, I felt badly getting her out of the tub, when she was having such a hard labor, but I was just too unsure of the water quality. They admitted it got muddy every time it rained.  Is there some quick easy way to spot check the water quality? Or does it have to be done beforehand by the health dept? It is the same water they drink, and no ones sick, so I suppose it should be okay, but I was just afraid to trust it. Any thoughts, anyone?

Marlene

• 08-19-2009 10:42 PM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

Re: unsafe water?

Marlene,

the water looked muddy?  did it smell funny?  taste funny?

A lot of folks here have catchement water.  There are test kits available to check for bacteria, parasites and ph levels.  If unsure about the quality of the tub water, we'll use h2o2, either 3% store bought or 35% food grade and there is a ratio but I can't recall it it at the moment.  That usually clears it up.

Muddy looking water would bother me as well.  I think I would have asked mama to get out of the tub too.   When in doubt, especially after SROM, it's best to err on the side of safety.

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 08-20-2009 7:51 AM In reply to

We used to use hydrogen peroxide pool products instead of chlorine because my oldest's asthma flared up with chlorinated pools.  I wonder if you carried either straight hydrogen peroxide (see above post) or a small commercially prepared hydrogen peroxide shock--if that would help. ?? Would the shock work more quickly or would carrying the commerical pool stuff be easier?

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 08-20-2009 2:38 PM In reply to

How do you use the h202?  What ratio of it to water?  

• 08-20-2009 5:33 PM In reply to

And h2o2 would kill the germs? All of them? How many bottles would you need for a 150 gal tub?

Yes her water was still intact when we got her out. We waited as long as we dared, due to the intensity of the ctx.

Yeah, I figured better safe than sorry.

• 08-20-2009 10:07 PM In reply to

That's why I suggested the swimming pool version.  If it can kill bad stuff in swimming pools, it can kill bad stuff in a tub, right?

Try googling the product we used: Baquacil.  Or check out this site:

http://www.lenntech.com/water-disinfection/disinfectants-hydrogen-peroxide.htm It gives a lot of info. If you don't use a product like Baquacil and just use regular ol' hydrogen peroxide, you usually do one cup of H2O2 to 500 gals of pool water.  So you'd have to do the math on a birthing pool.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 08-21-2009 5:23 PM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

The difference between h2o2 35% food grade and 3% is they put chemical stabilizers in the 3%. Food grade,  35% can be diluted down to 3%, 11 parts water to one part 35%, is the ratio. Also 35% h202 drops can be used internally to aid in healing a multitude of dis-ease in the body. I do some maintenance drops daily myself.  Super oxygenation!  To disinfect any water source you use 1oz.35% h2o2 to 100 gallons for regular cleaning and 2 oz.per 100 gallons for shocking.  Here's a link to a site I just googled.

http://purehealthsystems.com/hydrogen-peroxide.html

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."