in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Any aspiring Canadian Midwives?

Last post 04-20-2010 5:38 AM by katedelarosa. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-09-2009 11:13 AM

Any aspiring Canadian Midwives?

Hi there,

My name is Jazzmin and I live on Bowen Island, just twenty minutes from Vancouver, British Columbia. I'm currently a Doula, and have been active in my community's pregnancy, birth and post partum programs etc. Currently, I've been completing under-grad University courses, and at the same time, I'm a Mother of a Two year old boy and owner of a new restaurant. In January I'm going to apply to the University of British Columbia's Midwifery Degree Program. It's a four year long, intense Program, and unlike the States, we don't have a joint Nurse/Midwife Program. UBC accepts only 10 students per year out of roughly 300 applicants from across Canada. Hence, it's extremely competitive and I would like some feedback from all of the aspiring and student Midwives out there! 

Thanks for your time.

• 09-28-2009 8:03 PM In reply to

• TracyL
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-08-2009
    • Winnipeg, Manitoba
    • Posts 2

Re: Any aspiring Canadian Midwives?

Hey Jazzmin

My name is Tracy and currently living in Winnipeg but will be moving to Edmonton soon. Im currently a doula too and  aspiring midwife as well. I havent decide where. Personally I hope Alberta starts  funding midwives soon and then get the ball rolling on having a midwife program there. I've actually been thinking of taking a program thru the states and doing the bridge program but havent total decided on what Im doing. I really dont want to move the family again if I dont have too. In some way I wish they would accept more students and get some more programs running in other provinces cause we need more midwives. In Manitoba you pretty much have to preplan when you're having your baby cause they isnt enough midwives. The really good thing is that it looks like they might be a birth center opening up in Winnipeg, YAY!!  Sorry if my writting off its been along day:)

• 10-04-2009 11:14 PM In reply to

• brandy
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-24-2009
    • Posts 9

Tracy,

Alberta started funding midwives earlier this year, April 1, 2009.

An Alberta midwifery program starts September 2010 at Mount Royal College in Calgary. 

Big Smile

~Brandy~
  • 11-09-2009 10:43 PM In reply to

hi ladies...

i'm also in AB and just in the initial stages of planning my path... i'm a RN and, after two midwife-assisted births, i'm planning on doing my doula training in February... i'm not at all interested in moving into L&D as a RN at this point, but may end up trying to get some more exposure there to pad my application to the MRU program that's starting next year... my family and i still have some kinks to work out before committing to a midwifery program (we want to have another baby, but don't want to put it off because of school; financing), but i'm hoping to start in the next 3 years...

anyway, good luck to the rest of you on your journeys!

• 11-10-2009 3:24 PM In reply to

Hey Brandy! I'm just wondering where you found the information about a midwifery program at Mount Royal. I have been looking but am unable to locate this information but would be greatly interested in hearing more about this option. Thanks!

• 11-10-2009 3:36 PM In reply to

• brandy
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-24-2009
    • Posts 9

My midwife told me about it several years ago and I have been keeping in touch with the department head ever since. 

For information speak with Jan Wegerhoff at Mount Royal University.

~Brandy~
  • 11-10-2009 4:09 PM In reply to

Wonderful! Thank you so much. I will get in contact with her!

• 11-25-2009 6:40 PM In reply to

for anyone interested in getting on the MRU email list for updates on their proposed program:

"Mount Royal University has, in consultation with midwifery stakeholders and regulators, developed a 4-year Bachelor of Midwifery Program proposal that has been moved through the academic approval process of  MRU  and is now with the Ministry of Advanced Education for review.

If you wish to be added to our new database for further updates on the proposed degree program, please email Candice Corrigall at ccorrigall@mtroyal.ca ."

• 12-05-2009 10:16 PM In reply to

This looks like an older thread, but just a little update. I am in the UBC programme, and I believe there are closer to 100 applicants per year. And, the programme is undergoing a funding review so that hopefully it-- and midwifery in BC-- can become more sustainable and take in more students- like 30/year. Not sure if that will happen, but definitely be confident because it's not altogether impossible to get in!

• 12-12-2009 2:06 PM In reply to

The UBC website does say it's closer to 100 applicants--- however, they also mention that there likely will be no 2010 class intake due to the review of funds. What a disappointment. It looks like this issue is going to decrease the number of positions, not increase them-- like it should.

I'm back to looking at McMaster, or hoping the Winnipeg or Calgary programs will hurry up.

• 12-12-2009 6:14 PM In reply to

I'm pretty sure there will be a class next year. There has been a lot of lobbying and support since this announcement, and the post is the midwifery department's way of saying that, the way it is running now (under-funded, under-staffed), is not sustainable. It is under-going a funding review which is pretty customary for a new programme. However, the hope would be to increase the size of the programme so that they can admit 30 or 40 new students a year. Any news on the Winnipeg or Calgary programs?

• 12-13-2009 4:01 PM In reply to

• mandib
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-13-2009
    • Posts 4

i talked to the midwifery contact at the University College of the North in Manitoba. she said that they will be taking applications for the winnipeg program in jan 2010. she said there will be 8 spots available and they are expecting around 200 applicants. she said that in all likelihoods, applicants with a strong focus on science courses or who have previous health care experience, like nurses would be the most successful. i guess we'll know for sure what they are looking for when application requirements become available.

• 12-14-2009 9:01 AM In reply to

yeah- i have noticed in my programme how amazingly experienced people are-- PhDs, obstetrical nursing, running STI or education programmes... I guess it really gives women a leg up + gives them something really valuable to contribute to others in the programme. these new programmes sound really exciting! good luck!

• 01-08-2010 3:40 PM In reply to

• mandib
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-13-2009
    • Posts 4

did you end up finding out when Mount Royal will be taking applications? i haven't found anything on their website pertaining to a degree program. thanks! Smile

• 03-04-2010 11:29 AM In reply to

boo, i just got this email regarding the MRU program:

To all interested students,

Mount Royal University is continuing to progress with its proposal for a Bachelor of Midwifery program.  The proposal is currently being reviewed by Alberta's Ministry of Advanced Education and Technology after which it will be reviewed by the Campus Alberta Quality Council and be returned to the government for final approval and funding discussions.  Time required for these reviews will not allow MRU to accept applications for Fall 2010.  At this point, the tentative plan is to launch the Bachelor of Midwifery program in Fall 2011 pending final governmental approval.  If you have questions or concerns please call or e-mail me.  Good luck with your continued educational endeavors.

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.