in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Can we talk Brewers Diet?

Last post 09-21-2009 11:57 AM by mary ellen. 24 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-27-2009 12:30 AM In reply to

Re: Can we talk Brewers Diet?

ive had low blood pressure for the last 3 years now (and consequently an elevated heartrate)....everytime i would talk to my dr.(s) about it over the years...they would just respond with telling me to watch out for extreme symptoms.....basically saying "dont worry about it until you just fall and pass out"....they never would give me a reason why my pressure was different than the 20+ years before.......well with my pregnancy...i started going to a nutritionist/chiropractor....and he was able to easily diagnose and give a reason for the lower than before blood pressure--a magnesium deficiency (in formal terms: magnesium metabolic disorder).....and even though i felt somewhat better with the pregnancy....not as much light headedness.....my prenatals and diet werent neccesarily helping the over all balance--my original prenatals had no magnesium at all and i was taking a calcium supplement on top of that....giving me some extra mag but i was overloading on the calcium and my body couldnt catch up to restore balance.......so my chiro put me on better prenatals and then an extra magnesium supplement.....plus i started the brewers diet....and now it really all makes sense.....and i am feelin better physically and of course mentally (just knowing the reason behind things that are off with your body instead of being told not to worry about it works wonders)........so just my 2 cents to ROBSGIRL......see if your low blood pressure is due to a magnesium deficiency.....if you have not already..find a good chiropractor/nutritionist--he or she will seemingly work miracles.

• 08-27-2009 9:06 AM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

I know this is OT, but eating eggs for me would be a sad sad thing without the yolk.  Anyway, there are lots of good fats in eggs if they're from truly free range chickens.  Much higher in omega 3s than conventional eggs.  So I try to look for those.

Thank you to the lady who posted about magnesium deficiency.  Thankfully I'm aware that the American diet is generally magnesium deficient, so I've been taking extra magnesium for a while now.  It does help me feel somewhat better, though I still have the quick pulse and low BP in the morning especially (I'm guessing its the BP because that's when I feel the rapid pulse and the low energy just after getting up and even more after breakfast) .  It gets better by mid morning, usually....interesting.  I have thought of seeking out a chiropractor.  I just feel in need of some regular TLC this time around with more discomforts than I had in previous pregnancies.

All of this is such great info, everyone.  Thanks so much.

RobsGirl, 31
    Wife of one fabulous guy (34)
    Mommy of 3 awesome boys, ages 11, 8, and 4, and a precious 2 year old daughter.

• 08-28-2009 2:10 PM In reply to

yes. Healthy fats are important. I would just say make sure every source of fat is "healthy" unsaturated, natural omega 3 rich fats. A few small servings throughout the day would be sufficient and much better than a large serving at any meal.

Too much fat -healthy or not healthy is NOT HEALTHY.

Fats are a necessary part of the daily pregnant diet, but still should be eaten in moderation.

As to egg yolks, there is much debate over whether they are healthy to eat or not, even the free range organic egg yolks. There are other sources of Vitamin A like Cod Liver oil, Carrots and many other vegetables and fruits. I wouldn't go eating egg yolks for the Vitamin A content since their nutritional value is debatable. I think eventually every woman would decide for herself. Its not going to make a HUGE difference either way... just thought of mentioning that the nutritional benefits of egg yolks may not outweigh the nutritional risks of high cholesterol, heart disease etc...

• 08-28-2009 3:19 PM In reply to

It's funny reading this.  I've been a runner since DD was born in 2006 and the yolk/no yolk debate rages on between runners too.  I find it crazy to skip the "sunshine" in the egg, and i never, ever do.  To me it's where all the goodness of the egg is, it's what grows the chicken after all.  Having said that, some of the runners i know who avoid the yolks like the plague also eat the equivalent of 8 egg whites every day, and that to me is insane, i can see that eating 8 WHOLE eggs every day would be kind of hard!

I don't know, i feel life is too short to spend it separating eggs! Smile

Me 32, DH 41, DD 2006, DD 2010, DS 2013
  • 08-29-2009 4:08 AM In reply to

"Dr. Brewer used to say that eggs are so full of good nutrients that they should just be taken like a big vitamin pill." Yup! He called them "a golden nugget of nutrition."  I miss the man.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 08-29-2009 10:10 PM In reply to

It has been my experience that the PIH is seen mostly in the fat muffins that eat at Ickie Mickie's,have coke and chips for lunch,sit on their hinnies and wonder why they don't feel well.  I liked having the brewer diet to help explain to women how to eat.  They don't know what a complex carb. is.  They don't know about portion size.  The only veggies they eat is iceburg lettuce with a ton of ranch over top.  They don't drink water.  In pernatal classes I appealed to their vanity.  We talked about wt. gain and that most of what they gained beyond baby wt will be following them on their butts and belly for a long time after baby is born.[a lot of the women were young and from a bad situation.] They were encouraged to start changing their bad eating habits and develope new one for their baby and self.  So I like it.  The Drs. didn't believe it but they get diddley about nutrition in Dr. school. 

claudia

Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. - Robert A Heinlein
  • 09-16-2009 2:06 PM In reply to

Re, "Missing him": Oh, yes, I still can see him standing there taking that "golden nugget" out of the lunch sack, and to this day, whenever I am tempted to eat a candy bar, you better believe at least it has nuts, usually a Payday, lol!

It really upsets me when I hear, "the cause of toxemia is still not known," what BS! Poor guy, was so disheartened that other docs wouldn't pay attention to his research! In the last phone conversation I had with him before he died, he said, "I am tired of hitting my head against a brick wall!"  I assured him the midwives were paying attention, even if the docs weren't.

Brewer's diet is specific for preventing toxemia, if HTN is related to other problems (as it sounds like yours is), and not preeclampsia, other methods must be used.

Re Magnesium: yes, mag deficiency is rampant in our culture, and you should never take a Ca suppliment w/o Mag to balance it out.

But... I thought hypomagnesia was related to high BP, not low? Can it go either way?  If it causes low BP, why do they start Mag drips on hypertensive women? This  makes no sense to me. Please explain how hypomagnesia can cause hypotension.

• 09-21-2009 11:57 AM In reply to

Re: Can we talk Brewers Diet?---re: marlenecpm

since i am not a doctor i can not fully explain......but from what i understand....having a mag deficiency is not the "cause" of low blood presure per se...but the irregularities in blood pressure and heart rates etc is a symptom of the overall dysfuction of a system in which certain mineral defiencies lie at the base and are often overlooked and left untreated..... this mineral is a "magic mineral"  that is needed for chemical reactions that regulate many systems in the body...the blood system being one........the explanation that the doctor gave me for my personal situation:  after taking my blood pressure standing and lying down....and then doing a test to see if my leg muscle cramped up...and some other body tests that i dont know completely.......he said that most likely my adrenal system was overworked which was exhausting my nutrient supply...specifically he said magnesium.....the cramp test i guess is what confirmed it for him since that was an indicator of a calcium/magnesium imbalance....we knew that i was getting enough calcium since i was taking a calc/mag supplement...and had a calcium rich diet....but the magnesium was not enough for the calcium that i (and most americians) was getting in my diet......couple that with my adrenal system being out of balance--which is linked to stress.....the little magnesium i was getting in diet was being exhausted and sent all kinds of places in the body..........this all made sense to me..since the change in my blood pressure started becoming evident about 3 years ago..which was a time of high stress and diet changes for me (was finishing graduate school...and transitioning out of a stressful long term relationship).......so my DC has me taking extra magnesium along with my prenatal to catch up.....

that being said......my mother on the other had has high blood pressure....he has her taking a magnesium supplement as well.....less than me however..........most infomation on the web points to the use of magnesium for high blood pressure......this is the most common use....but if you have a good nutritionist or doctor...they will know that the little mineral goes a long way is helping to restore many body systems..............

i dont have extremely low blood pressure.....i dont think ive been diagnosed with hypotension....it is still within normal ranges.....but it is lower than my prior history and enough for every new doctor to ask me if i "normally" have low blood pressure...........i know that my heartrate is elevated as a result (even before pregnancy)....working overtime to get blood to all parts of my body....right now while i am still young the change in blood pressure seems ok to deal with....but i am sure that in time it will cause other problems in the body that most traditional doctors will not link to the original cause...and will attempt to just treat the symptom...thereby causing more problems.....so its best to get everything in check now.

http://www.mbschachter.com/importance_of_magnesium_to_human.htm

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.