in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

A bit lost...in Chicago

Last post 08-09-2009 10:21 AM by Adrienne. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-06-2009 8:19 AM

A bit lost...in Chicago

I have wanted to be a midwife for a couple of years now, but am beginning to get discouraged.  I have a BA and have applied to the MSN/CNM program here at UIC...which has very poor odds for getting accepted considering they only take 4 students each year.  I really want to get into the Midwifery scene and do what I love even if it's from the sidelines, so since moving to Chicago last week, I've been looking for an apprenticeship.  I would like to get licensure, but only one school around here (UIC) offers the program.  I'm originally from Iowa, so I'm still getting used to life in the big city.  I just want to be a midwife and am willing to forego licensure, but I guess I'm needing help, advice, something.  I've noticed a lot of people seem to be having this problem with the path to midwifery. 

• 08-06-2009 12:48 PM In reply to

• Jen636
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2009
    • Metro Detroit
    • Posts 13

Re: A bit lost...in Chicago

I'm confused.  You are applying for a CNM course through a University but are looking for an apprenticeship?  Are you looking to do homebirth or hospital birth?  Does Illinois even recognize licensure?

I would suggest first to go to LLL meetings or find a birth network meeting near you.   Meet the women you are wanting to serve or possibly work with. 

~Jen~
    Primary Midwife Under Supervision
    Homeschooling mom of 3
  • 08-07-2009 6:53 AM In reply to

I did apply to a University, but they only accept 4 students every year and I wasn't one of the chosen ones.  Illinois recognizes CNM's currently..  I would be fine doing either, I would prefer doing Birthing Centers or hospital births.  Thank you for the reply!

• 08-09-2009 10:21 AM In reply to

• Adrienne
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • South Carolina
    • Posts 35

search for birthlink.  it's a network of chicago-area birthing professionals and resources.  sounds like you're on the CNM path if you wish to practice legally in Illinois and work in a non-home setting.  blessings on your journey.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.