in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

I'm new, with several questions!

Last post 08-06-2009 8:49 AM by christea. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-30-2009 12:31 AM

• christea
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-29-2009
    • Jupiter, FL
    • Posts 15

I'm new, with several questions!

Hi Everyone,

My name is Christie, and I'm a 28 year old aspiring midwife. My husband and I have no children yet, just our four-legged furry daughter Ema. Why then, am I so sure that I want to do this? I don't know- but I do know that something is calling me, pulling me toward midwifery- Toward having my own future children the way my body was made to have them, and helping other women do the same. I feel almost physically pained when women I know schedule c-sections, because they are having "big" babies (~8lbs for the record) and when other women practically scream at the top of their lungs "give me drugs!" as soon as the stick turns blue! Don't they know that their bodies are made for this?!

I live in South Florida- always have, probably always will and I want to persue midwifery as a DEM. Luckily, it's legal here.I don't know how many of you are familiar with the particulars of Florida midwifery laws, but they are strict about the type of program you have to attend, what kind of births can be handled by midwives, etc. My husband and I own a home which is about 4 hours away from the Florida School of Traditional midwifery (Gainsville) and 1.5 hours away from the International School of Midwifery (Miami)- both significant commutes! I can't afford to quit my job to persue schooling, and I have looked into the distance programs. I'm pretty sure AAMI is out, as it doesn't conform with Florida rules (correct me if I'm wrong), so I think the only option is MCU, and maybe one other one that I can't remember.

I am considering becoming a childbirth educator in the near future so I can at least get near the field, and perhaps be able to leave my current job at some point to pursue midwifery education with greater focus. I'm going to order the "pathways to midwifery"(can't remember the exact name) book soon in addition to many others. (Books are a terrible weakness for me, I have a BA in English)

So here are the questions:

Anyone in Florida? (I have my MAF membership form sitting on my desk, but haven't had time to fill it out yet.)

What made you KNOW that you should be a midwife?

I believe most DEM programs require a preceptor and I know that there are several suggested ways to go about finding one. If you found one already, how did you find yours?

Anyone get pregant during while in her midwifery program that would be interested in sharing how you handled it? (Hubby & I have been married 6 years, and have been discussing TTC at some point during the next few years)

That's all I can think of right now, Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Christie

Christie
    Aspiring Midwife
    Wife & Fur-Mommy to 1 small dog
  • 07-30-2009 3:17 PM In reply to

Re: I'm new, with several questions!

Christie,

Welcome to MT and MTF.  Its pleasure to meet you and hope to stay you around. Have to say that I'm in the same boat as you are in expect for the parnter part of it.  Have no clue and really have not that much info on this.  At the same time have no desire to pursue the path of becoming an doula or midwife because everything that it invovles.  Even though it would be nice and etc in the long run.  On the another hand have seen this topic for an threads in the past, but at the same time have forgotten what were my responses to them.

Highly recommend that you check out MT.  Also Our Bodies, Ourselves, The Boston Women's Health Book Collective and their companion website/blog as well.  Found its really helpful no matter what. At same time do recommend that you do additional learning and research besides the books and website I give you to give you. For more info on this.

Hope my recommendations do help you.

Good luck and etc.

• 07-31-2009 8:13 AM In reply to

Hello Christie, Welcome!

I'm sorry I can not answer most of your questions.  The one about "knowing" for me was admiting to myself I could handle the education and the emotion of birthing.  I had a great experience with my son's birth and that gave me something to draw on when I finally realized I was stronger than I thought.  Also, I felt led by God to follow the desire; as if that was my purpose here on earth.

I hope that helps.

A Woman Journying On The Path To Midwifery
  • 08-03-2009 5:43 AM In reply to

Welcome Christie!

I am a doula and soon-to-be student midwife in Florida as well!  We live in Ocala, so we're a lot closer to FSTM than Miami, but I can relate to so much of your post.  My husband and I have been married for 7 1/2 years and TTC for nearly five of those.  I kept putting off any thoughts of continuing my education thinking surely I'd get pregnant soon and then I'd just have to quit.  This year we decided to stop waiting and just go for it anyway - if my surprise happens soon then school can wait, but in the meantime I'm going to work on this calling that has been growing in my heart for a LONG time.  Like others have said, I feel this is something God has called me to do. 

As far as school, after weighing all my options with a lot of prayer, I think I've decided to pursue becoming a CNM through UF's accelerated RN to CNM program.  I am seriously considering going for NARM eligibility through their PEP program after I'm through so that I can also be a CPM.  Why such a convoluted course?  My husband and I have no guarantee that we will live in Florida forever, but nearly all 50 states license nurse-midwives.  But I dearly want the education available through apprenticeship in out-of-hospital settings as well, since that is really where I want to practice.  More and more CNMs that I have both read from and spoken to seem to be either going this route or considering it.  So for now, and for other reasons that I don't really want to get into on a public forum, this is the direction that seems best for me. 

I think your plan to become a childbirth educator for now is a great one.  I have been a doula for several years now and know it will only help in the future, besides allowing me to serve and minister to birthing women and their families now.  Wish you the best on your exciting journey!  This is such an amazing calling. 

Blessings,

Aron

Blessings,
    Aron

"I AM NOT CRAZY - it's just that my situation seems to require a crazy person."
  • 08-03-2009 10:13 AM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Welcome Christie!!  I really have no answers for you since I'm not on a midwifery path yet, though would like to be some day. 

journying and Aron, I didn't know either of you were going for midwifery!!  Wow, that's great!!!  God bless you all in your paths.

RobsGirl, 31
    Wife of one fabulous guy (34)
    Mommy of 3 awesome boys, ages 11, 8, and 4, and a precious 2 year old daughter.

• 08-04-2009 8:46 AM In reply to

• christea
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-29-2009
    • Jupiter, FL
    • Posts 15

Thanks for the input ladies! I doing even more research than before and I'm a bit afraid I've over-whelmed myself...

For anyone that's already doing the midwifery thing (whether it's school, apprenticing, practicing, etc) Did you do something else in the field or just jump in?

Anyone have any advice on being a Doula vs Midwifery Assistant/ CBE/ Lac. Consultant etc for a little while first? I kinda think this would help me get to know local midwives and make my chances better of finding an preceptor later. Any thoughts?

Thanks Ladies!

Christie
    Aspiring Midwife
  • 08-05-2009 6:01 AM In reply to

(Thanks, Robsgirl! I'm really excited!)

Christie, clearly I'm a touch biased, but I think becoming a doula is a great way to get your feet wet while you are figuring out your path and even when you are already on it.  From what I understand, it can be much more difficult to find work as a midwife's assistant.  The CBE route could be good, though.  It just depends on where you are able to teach - private lessons, in your home, in a local community room, in a hospital? 

Really look at what each of those possibilities will require from you in terms of training, work commitments, and opportunities for clients.  Then decide which of those options is the best fit for you right now. You aren't locked into anything either, you could always switch or add a certification if you choose. 

You can do this!  Don't keep staring at the whole huge mountain of options, possibilities, requirements and choices.  Look at what you have in front of your feet right this moment: what step can you take just now?  Just choose ONE thing to focus on just today: is it reading another chapter in Pathways to Becoming a Midwife?  is it looking through the schools listed on the MEAC website?  is it emailing ONE school and asking them to send you an information packet?  Is it emailing ONE midwife in Florida and asking her what it's like to practice here?  Don't try to get through the whole mountain in one go - just tell yourself to take ONE step today, then choose another step for tomorrow.  You'll be surprised at how much information you accumulate and how much clarity you gain that way. 

Oh, and look around and give a wave to journying and me, and the rest of the future midwives that are walking up that same mountain.  We're right there with you!

Blessings,
    Aron

"I AM NOT CRAZY - it's just that my situation seems to require a crazy person."
  • 08-06-2009 8:49 AM In reply to

• christea
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-29-2009
    • Jupiter, FL
    • Posts 15

Thanks Aron,

I did in fact send a local midwife an e-mail yesterday at your suggestion. I'll probably speak to her today. Thank you for the "mountain climbing" advice!

Christie
    Aspiring Midwife
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.