in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Wanting to become a midwife - need advice

Last post 06-25-2009 6:37 PM by brandy. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-24-2009 2:34 PM

Wanting to become a midwife - need advice

I'm a 20 year old young lady from Canada and I would like to become a midwife. However, I'd like to avoid high costs, fancy degrees, and all that, and just study on my own somewhat if possible, and take a PLEA test in the future to become certified.

Does anyone have any recommendations of midwives to apprentice under, books to study, courses to take, or anything? I would appreciate any advice!

I've looked into the Ancient Art Midwifery Institute and it sounds like a very good option. I might go with it. But if I decide to do it even more independent I would certainly appreciate recommendations. I'd really like to study just on my own and as an apprentice.

• 06-24-2009 6:39 PM In reply to

Re: Wanting to become a midwife - need advice

Hi and welcome!  Please click on the Midwifery Today website and check out all the wonderful publications that are offered including Paths to Becoming a Midwife.  That is one of the most helpful and informative books around to get you started on the path to midwifery.  You might also want to get a subscription to our journal, Midwifery Today and to signup for the enewsletter.  You can do all of that when you are on the main site.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 06-25-2009 6:37 PM In reply to

• brandy
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-24-2009
    • Posts 9

Re: Wanting to become a midwife - need advice

I am in Canada too, Alberta, specifically.

First of all, if you want to be registered in Canada you more than likely need a degree as it is becoming the standard.  It isn't the requirement yet, however, I believe it soon will be.

PLEA is in its' final year in Manitoba, then it no longer exists, so that won't be an option for you.  If you were to study out of Canada you will likely need to go thru the MMBP (bridging program) for foreign trained midwives.

Unfortunately, you are very unlikely to get registration by going the "traditional" route.

Contact the CAM (Canadian Association of Midwives) or your local chapter (provincial group).

I would love to talk to you more about it all too, feel free to contact me, aurorabirthservices@telus.net

I am still muddling my way thru the path for school, but I think I have finally found the way for me.  I plan to do the program starting in Alberta, hopefully starting next year.

~Brandy~
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.