in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Low blood pressure

Last post 09-30-2009 4:33 PM by marlenecpm. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-19-2009 9:18 PM

Low blood pressure

With all the concern in our society and even in the midwifery world about high blood pressure, I am having a hard time finding much information on low blood pressure, especially in pregnancy.

THis is my fourth pregnancy, and with my previous 3 I have had very normal blood pressure. Beginning of pregnancy around 110/75 and by the end of pregnancy, about 120/80. I eat a healthy diet, (About  1/3 of diet raw veggies and fruit), home ground whole wheat bread, plenty of protien and variety.

Anyway, this pregnancy my blood pressure has been really low. I do have a different midwife this time and at first I wondered if it was just a different "ear". But I am consistenly checking at about 75/35. 

I feel this is too low for me, I just can't think that seems healthy. My midwife is aware and we have talked about this a lot but are not really sure what to do, or if we should do anything.  I am 31 weeks, so we will be checking my hemg. soon, I have read that anemia could be a issue.

I have always had a high metabolism and I think my adrenals are really worn. I do not get as much sleep as I would like, although I do nap daily. I have gained about 20 lbs this pregnancy, which is very normal for me.

Anyway, any thoughts? Have any of you worked with low blood pressure before? When is this a problem? I would like to bring it up a bit- any suggestions?

THanks!

Lydia 

• 06-19-2009 10:13 PM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

Re: Low blood pressure

Lydia,

Some questions, which I am sure your midwife has already covered; do you pass out?  see black?  have trouble climbing a set of stairs?  Have you double checked BP with another cuff?

I would check hgb sooner than later.

How was bleeding with previous births?

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 06-20-2009 7:07 AM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Hi Lydia,

I'm not a midwife or professional like midwifea.  I couldn't help but think about your adrenals as I was reading your post (and then you mentioned it oto).  I have a similar makeup (high metabolism, busy and active mommy of 3, including a very busy toddler, and when I'm in a period of stress I get orthostatic hypotension, and just that difficulty keeping up with life feeling).  When pregnant my BP is normally quite low as well (90/58).  I also thought about the hemg.  Are you eating enough salt?  Your body needs more salt when pregnant to help your blood volume expand.  How do you feel otherwise? 

One thing that I believe is safe during pregnancy, and can help your body adapt to stress overall is eleuthero (Siberian Ginseng).  Its not a true ginseng so its not stimulating in the same way other ginsengs are.  Its more calming and supportive of the adrenals.

RobsGirl, 31
    Wife of one fabulous guy (34)
    Mommy of 3 awesome boys, ages 11, 8, and 4, and a precious 2 year old daughter.

• 06-21-2009 7:11 PM In reply to

Thanks for the thoughts ladies. I do not have trouble blacking out or getting dizzy or winded. I can do the stairs fine as long as I don't take them two at a time or carrying anything of weight, (ie, a child, laundry, etc.) This puzzled my midwife a bit. I guess this should be a encouragement to me-

I do get the "can't keep up with life feeling" a lot- it makes my B vitamins a lot more important. And sleep. I can tell I fall apart easier on the days I get to bed after 10pm.

THe only time I checked my BP with another cuff (mine) is after my pregnancy workout. (Nothing huge, a prenatal video I am trying to work into my schedule a few times a week). It was about 100/70 then. Maybe I should check it daily for a while just to get an idea of how mine is reading.

Thanks again.

• 06-22-2009 6:13 PM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

Lydia,

you should do that, just for the knowledge and get your Hgb checked.  Salting your food a liitle more can't hurt either.

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

Or wise man can decide
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 08-04-2009 10:46 PM In reply to

I would like to know your pulse rate as well as your hgb. I too thought of adrenals & thyroid function as well as sphignomanometer function!   When Taking BP, it is important to have BP cuff at heart level, if above, it will read lower, if below, it will read higher.  if your pulse rate is over 90, I would think about a possible occult bleed somewhere. Low BP in general is healthier than high, but main problems are 1. no energy & 2. can go into shock easier after birth. With BP that low, you can't afford to loose much blood, so I'd be sure I drank plenty of chlorophyll water prenanally & during labor! probably good to take some extra Vit C & E

• 08-05-2009 7:24 PM In reply to

Great discussion on this! This is stuff I need to know as well, because I tend to have low blood pressure. Not this low (sorry I can't remember my last #'s taken yesterday lol!)  I normally don't pass out, but I did once when pregnant last time, when I hadn't eaten or drank anything for a long time, was wearing a long-sleeved shirt with my feverish sick toddler on my lap in the hot hospital. I guess the low bp didn't help! I often have low energy, and take a nap every afternoon. If not, it's very difficult for me to carry on the rest of the day. (That's even when not preg!) Currently at 35 weeks pregnant, going up the stairs makes me feel weird, not necessarily dizzy, but kinda achy all over - just have to sit down right away and rest before continuing on. I don't eat as healthy as the original poster, but I am not shy to add sea salt to my foods as I like it. I have not had bleeding problems after any of my births, but it is a concern for me, as this one is my #5. Thanks for the food suggestions for preventing bleeding. Any other ideas would be appreciated :)

• 08-06-2009 12:26 PM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

This is good advice for me too.  I've been having low blood pressure again too.  I think Marlene really hit it on the head.  I've been really wondering lately about how little energy I have.  It seems worse after laying down, not better, which leads me to believe that when I get up from resting, my BP is probably low and that's why I feel like its so hard to get from point A to point B.  Once I'm up and have been moving around, getting the blood pumping, for a little while, I seem to feel better.  I also nearly passed out after my last birth...okay, so I did have a pretty significant blood loss and I was in a really warm pool for a little too long, but still, I was nearly on the floor with a BP of something like 40/20.

I'll think about that chlorophyll.

RobsGirl, 31

• 09-16-2009 3:06 PM In reply to

Robs girl: don't just THINK about chlorophyll, DRINK that chlorophyll! Also something else I forgot to mention, a B complex will help boost your energy level.

• 09-16-2009 4:50 PM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Ha ha!!!  That would help, woudln't it.  Stick out tongue  I do have some other things going on that would prevent me from using the chlorophyll, though.  I have a clotting disorder (if your curious, you can go over to the PPH thread in Birth Complications where I go into it a little bit) so anything that has a lot of Vitamin K in it, I avoid... although I throw caution to the wind when the spring kale is ready.  I just cook it with lots of onions and garlic.

Doing math with my oldest in the morning is really helping boost my BP.  :-)  Ha ha.  No, he's really a very good student, but he gripes so much about number fact sheets.  :-) Just enough aggravation to raise my BP a few points.

Doing lots of Bs already.  I also noticed that eating liver helps with my energy levels, so I'm looking for a good (organic) source to eat once a week or so.

I have to say, I am feeling quite a bit better most of the time.  I have days when I'm dragging, but I think I've gotten over the hump a little bit and have a little more energy.

RobsGirl, 31

• 09-18-2009 9:15 AM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

Teach a teenage boy to drive a car, that'll raise your BP.

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

Or wise man can decide
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 09-30-2009 4:33 PM In reply to

lol, April! Even having one (teenage boy or girl)  in the house can do it! I had four teens at one time, as well as younger ones. Thank God we all survived! They are all adults now, and human again!

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.