in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

becoming a cnm-questions-Bay Area related

Last post 08-11-2009 6:49 AM by paradoxa. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-17-2009 10:48 AM

becoming a cnm-questions-Bay Area related

Hi,

I live in the Bay Area and am applying to various direct-entry programs across the nation to (hopefully) become a CNM, and I have a few questions.  First off, I am looking for organizations in the Bay Area with a focus on the birthing community where I can volunteer.  I have contacted Birth Ways and am working a bit with them.  Does anyone know of any other organizations accepting volunteers?

My next question is about financing my education.  Where is a good place to look for scholarships for direct-entry programs?  I think I will be applying to progams in which I do not earn my BSN, but instead do the year of intense preparation, pass the RN licensure exam, and then get an MSN. 

Thanks a lot,

Laura

• 08-11-2009 6:49 AM In reply to

Re: becoming a cnm-questions-Bay Area related

Hi there!

I am starting a direct-entry CNM program in just a couple weeks.

I can't answer your questions about the Bay Area.  However, I can comment on scholarships and such.

This first year, I didn't apply to any outside scholarships but I did get three scholarships through my school (one is need-based and two are merit-based).  

The year before you start your program look into the Nursing Education Loan Repayment Program.  You get loan repayment for two years if you work for them for two years.  

For my second and third year, I plan on applying to the National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program.  This program is for primary care providers (CNMs, MDs, FNPs, etc.).  They pay for your schooling for two years in exchange for two years of service in a need area (urban or rural area).  

Once I graduate I will also apply for the National Health Service Corps Loan Repayment Program.  This program offers two years of loan-repayment $25,000 for each year with a total of $50,000 in loan repayment.  You can do an optional third year as well and get like $30,000 repaid (not sure of the amount of this third year but I know it's higher than the first two  years).

Also, Pell Grants can be forgiven after working for five years as a nurse.  

If you plan right, a good portion of your education can be forgiven through certain federal programs.  There are also scholarships as I have noted above.

ACNM has a scholarship program.

AHolisticNA has a scholarship program.

You have to look hard and be vigilent when looking for scholarships and loan repayment opportunities.

Good luck!

~ Lamaze CBE ~ CNM student ~
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.