in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Australia

Size of uterus in early pregnancy

Last post 07-30-2009 12:19 PM by journyingonthepath. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-14-2009 4:20 PM

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Size of uterus in early pregnancy

Hi,

I'm just curious...maybe some midwives and experienced women can let me know their thoughts on this.  I'm 8 weeks pregnant with my fourth baby and I can feel the firm top of my uterus well above my pubic bone when I'm lying on my back.  A few other things have made me wonder if its twins (more nausea than all three other pregnancies combined, super-hunger, and no spotting which for me could possibly indicate two corpus luteums producing extra progesterone) and then I realized that I could feel my uterus already and I'm just really wondering now.  I'm going in to see my midwives on Wed for my first visit, and we'll discuss it and maybe they'll do a pelvic, but I'm just wondering if you all think this is a 4th baby thing (not so unusual) or could it be twins?  And if so, how will I know without a sonogram? 

Thanks.

RobsGirl, 31
    Wife of one fabulous guy (34)
    Mommy of 3 awesome boys, ages 11, 8, and 4, and a precious 2 year old daughter.

• 06-15-2009 8:42 PM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 476

Re: Size of uterus in early pregnancy

Robsgirl,

it's really hard to say, could be 4th baby syndrome, could be twins, could be nothing but a nice healthy single baby.  Wait and see is the best anyone could offer you at this moment, without an ultrasound and you don't need that.  You'll know soon enough.  You sound fine to me.  If it's not broke don't try to fix it theory applies here.

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 06-16-2009 5:11 AM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Cool. Thanks April and Dawn.

But since I'm new to being non-interventive in the first trimester (I always bled and cramped and had early scans throughout the first trimester, and I've had none of that this time), what would usually happen with a homebirth midwife?  Would they start hearing two heartbeats with the doppler or fetoscope if there were two?  Is that how they would know?  I started seeing them around 23 weeks last time.

I am so much itching to hear some evidence of this healthy baby (heartbeat), but I've finally made up my mind not to run off for an early scan.  I'm just going to have to wait the 3 weeks or so before I can hear it, and I'm fine with that.  On the other hand I feel SO pregnant that I have no doubts.  :-)  The fact that my womb keeps getting bigger is also reassuring.

I gotta go eat breakfast before I heave.  See ya!

PS  Dawn, one of my babies was quite large too and shortly before I conceived this one, I dreamed I had a very big baby boy and birthed him really easily.  :-)

RobsGirl, 31

• 06-17-2009 1:08 PM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Well, I saw the midwives today.  They were a bit surprised at my size too.  Top of my uterus was 4 fingers below my bellybutton.  And believe it or not, they were able to hear the little heartbeat for a few seconds!!!! :-)  I was overjoyed.  I cried.  They heard my placenta sounds too, but definitely heard the really quick swish swish of the baby's heart also.  So they're reserving judgement on the twin theory until they see me a couple more times.  If they notice extra growth each time, then they'll begin to wonder.  But they did comment that it was "interesting" that I'm measuring big.  

God knew I needed to hear that little heartbeat.  I was ready to wait, but I was so itching...

RobsGirl, 31

• 06-17-2009 8:53 PM In reply to

yay!  glad you heard the heartbeat!

• 07-14-2009 2:07 PM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

I'm going in on Thursday again for my second visit.  Can't wait to hear the baby again.  :-)

RobsGirl, 31

• 07-15-2009 8:44 AM In reply to

Robsgirl,

I remeber being very excited to hear my son's heart beat.  At first I didn't know what it was because it was so fast.  I too, cried to hear that beautiful sound.  During that visit, the midwives gave me a small plactic baby in the fetal posotion that said "12 weeks preborn."  I was only ten weeks at the time but, they said the size of that baby was the closest to his size.  I still have that little baby and call it "my Duncan."  That little baby will soon be 8 years old and his head comes up to my shoulder.  Where did all those years go?

I wish you well in this pregnancy and am glad to chat with you!

A Woman Journying On The Path To Midwifery
  • 07-17-2009 4:26 AM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

I'm in need of some support here ladies. 

Last three days I've been having a lot of little BH contractions.  Yes, I'm only 12.5 weeks, but I've always started getting little tightenings as soon as the first trimester crampiness subsided (somewhere toward the end of the first trimester).  I've felt backachy and a little crampy yesterday.  I've been drinking a TON of water.  I was feeling a few of the tightenings the last few days in my butt and cervix, and I'm really concerned about that.  I visited the midwife yesterday and she didn't seem appalled.  She said unless I've been doing 200 kegels a day every day religiously, then she's not surprised that I'm feeling some pelvic pressure.  I was more concerned about feeling it more specifically cervically and it making me feel like I had to poop (sorry TMI).  To make matters worse, I did a big no-no and checked my cervix before I went off to the midwife, and it seemed much shorter than usual (last time I checked it was probably a fertility check when not pregnant, so I really don't know what the heck I was feeling, I should not have messed with it in the first place).  There was a lip, but not much.  She didn't want to go poking around because I was feeling crampy, so she didn't check it, which is fine.  We did check for a UTI.  The dipstick was perfect and I was well hydrated.

Second issue is that I'm measuring about 18 weeks at 12!!!!  They found the heartbeat right away on the right side.  A nice swish swish around 150.  Then they tried on the left side to see if there was another one and they heard a nice click click around 150 over there too.  They don't know whether it was two heartbeats, or just the same heartbeat heard from different angles.  So I'm going for a sonogram on Wednesday at the perinatologist (I have other issues I want to discuss with him) they usually refer to.  I really feel the need for answers right now, especially because along with the big uterus, I'm having pregnancy symptoms that fit more closely with a pregnancy further along.  I'm very certain of my dates. 

So what do I make of these contractions?  Is there something else I should check for, BV, yeast infection?  What about my cervix?  Should I worry?  We decided not to mention the cervix issue to the doctor Wed and see if he picks anything up on sonogram.  Is it just that my uterus is growing so quickly for whatever reason that my uterus is so cranky?  What can I try?  The midwife suggested RRL tea moderately as it can be adaptogenic (decreasing tone where there's too much, and increasing it where there's too little). 

Also, I'm upset, because we were supposed to leave for a family trip to visit my parents this morning.  Its a 14 hour drive (with 3 kids including a 1.5 year old) and I just couldn't face it while feeling like this, so we cancelled.  Of course my parents understand, but I had wanted to see my grandfather who I haven't seen in a few years.  [:'(]  I guess we have to know our limits.

Thanks for reading.

RobsGirl, 31

• 07-17-2009 7:30 AM In reply to

((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))

Re: your cervix...  When i am fertile my cervix is about 2cm long and soft of course.  During AF it is more lke 4cm and firm.  I felt it a bunch of times when PG and it varied between 3cm and 1cm (this was way before 30weeks) and was OFTEN so squishy i couldn't really feel where the edges were except of the outer os, and it was also very different month to month.  I would advise you don't check it PURELY because it then becomes a fixation point for worries.  I don't know about you, but for me the more specific my concern the more it overtakes me.  General worries about the health of a pregnncy is just about ok to deal with, but once i begin specifically worrying that i don't have enough fluid or my cervix is too short and open (which i thought it was at about 19 weeks) i was SO much more distressed.

Re: your uterus...  Well maybe it is twins!  Maybe it is only one big bouncing healthy bub in there.  You'll find out eventually (at the ultrasound, and if not then you'd have found out at birth ;)).  Would twins be difficult?  YES.  Would they be double the blessing and double the joy?  Certainly so!  I too had BH that i could feel with DD from about 11 weeks, or even earlier (i swear i had one i felt at my desk when at work about 8weeks PG, interspersed with the normal stretching cramps).  If your midwife isn't too worried i think it's ok for you to relax some too.  How do you feel about her?  Do you trust her?

I'm really not qualified on irritable uteruses.  Maybe wait and see how the ultrasound goes, if it's twins that will explain a LOT and maybe knowing everything is just twice as nice in there, and the crankiness is due to that rather than anything sinister, you'll be able to feel better.  I'm sure these lovely ladies will be able to tell you the sorts of treatments they've found to be helpful.  The only friend i know had premature contractions from 22 weeks which hurt but didn't efface or dilate the cervix.  She had 3 hours feet-up rest every day and her boy came at 40+3.

As for your weeend away....you have a lot on your plate right now.  You can go visit when you're less in the dark and feel more able to attack a journey like that.

More huge hugs sweetheart. :)

Bec

Me 32, DH 41, DD 2006, DD 2010, DS 2013
  • 07-17-2009 1:28 PM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Thanks for reading and responding, Bec.  It was really encouraging. 

As for my cervix. I'm definately not going to be checking it again.  Honestly, I really don't know what the heck I was thinking.  I have no reference point, other than my non-pregnant, fertile cervix and i'm quite certain the only way to really get a good picture of my cervix would be to check it on a regular basis, which I'm NOT going to do.  Like you said, its just a fixation point.  I'm the same way.  If I have something specific to be concerned about, I tend to overthink it and make myself miserable.  I protected myself very well from too much information (and thus too much worry) with my last baby, and I don't know why I'm having such a hard time doing that this time around.  On the other hand, its a different pregnancy, and I'm just getting different vibes which is leading me to check things a little more, seek a little bit more medical care.  So I guess the intuition is different every time too.

My uterus...yes, we will see.  Twins would explain a lot of things, but we'll see.  The BH themselves don't freak me out, its just the number of them and the fact that they're causing such discomfort and pressure in odd places that is bugging me.  Today I've had very few tightenings, but my womb, cervix, and pelvis in general feel really tender and sore, kind of like a muscle ache the day after a workout.  I do trust my midwife/midwives.  I like that there are two and they agree but have different perspectives, so I always can bounce things off both of them.  I've been in contact with both of them today. 

I took some extra magnesium tablets today, which seemed to really help not only relax my uterus but also make me feel more relaxed.  I've also been resting a LOT.  I think part of this is my body telling me to slow down.  I've been doing a lot of stuff around the house and garden, and its probably a little overkill.  3 hours of feet up rest every day sounds great right about now.  I've always had a lot of contractions, some of which are really uncomfortable and preterm-laborish (later on), but I've always gone to no less than 39 weeks.  :-) I did run out to get some cramp bark tincture and rasp leaf tea too.

I'm over the trip.   In time, we can make it...maybe.  :-)  In the meantime there's always the telephone.

Thanks for the hugs.  I hope you're recovering well too.

RobsGirl, 31

• 07-19-2009 7:46 AM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Man I'm feeling yucky again.  I had a pretty good day yesterday, still took it easy, but today I'm back to square one.  My back is killing me, and my whole pelvis feels sore and crampy.  I had one of those dreams this morning where I had the big O and I'm suffering because of it.  I had a bunch of tightenings and though they've calmed down, even an occasional one here or there hurts.  It was really bad timing.  Normally, I'd be laughing about it, but I'm in too much pain here to laugh. It wasn't a fun experience.

I just emailed the midwives again, and my plan is to try to get in to see the doctor sooner than Wednesday, and have him not only check for twins, but measure cervical length and evaluate the cramping. Just so you know, I don't have the attitude that I'm going to run off to the doctor and he's going to save me.  I'm not throwing in the towel yet.  Sometimes I feel like it, because I am scared and emotional and I'm not as grounded as I'd like to be, my faith in my body is somewhat shaken, but I don't know anything yet, so that's just foolish.  My husband has been so incredibly supportive.  Thank God, he's home until Thursday and has been for more than a week prior, so I've had less of a burden with the kids and everything.  He keeps telling me we'll get through this together, and I know he's right.

The midwives also suggested motherwort tincture, but I thought motherwort was not advised until late pregnancy.  Anyone know anything about that?

Does anyone else have some words of wisdom for me?  I'm having a hard time sorting all this out.

RobsGirl, 31

• 07-19-2009 7:48 AM In reply to

Robsgirl,

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling out of sorts.  I will send out some prayers for you.  I am a twin and my mother was very busy with us and my older sister (two years older).  We caused quite a bit of mischief when we were two.  Back then (the 70's), ultrasound was not heard of and they told my mom two...maybe three.  She had to have been all baby at 5'5'' and 95#'s.  We were born six weeks early, not sure why other than the multiple thing.  We are fraternal twins and just turned 37 last Wednesday.  We are two very different people.

Again, I will send out some prayers for you to feel better and the baby (or babies) to settle in for journney.

A Woman Journying On The Path To Midwifery
  • 07-19-2009 7:54 AM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Thankyou, Journeying.  :-)

RobsGirl, 31

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.