in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Australia

Is home birth still an option for me?

Last post 09-26-2009 6:48 PM by Fyrestorm. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-10-2009 10:49 AM

Is home birth still an option for me?

Hi, I am new to this site. If I have posted in the incorrect forum, please let me know.

I am expecting my first child in October. I had planned a home birth for many reasons, and am a little terrified of hospital births. I have assisted about ten hospital births and know that I don't want the same experience. 

Recently, it's been discovered that my baby has only one working kidney. The other kidney is "Multicystic Dysplastic" (MCDK), which means it formed poorly and is just a cluster of cysts. The other kidney appears to be working fine (good amniotic fluid, bladder, heart etc) and everything else appears to be healthy and "normal" about our child. They plan to continue to observe the kidney during my pregnancy, but say that nothing can be done and our baby should be able to live a normal, healthy life with only one kidney. They will need to check both kidneys  after birth and frequently during childood to make sure everything is ok.

I would like to proceed with a home birth as planned (as I said I'm scared of going to the hospital), but don't want to do anything to endanger my child. I cannot ask the doctors too many questions about this because they were against me having a home birth from day one-they don't support home birth in general. My midwife is unfamiliar with the condition, but is also looking for more information to help me/us make an informed decision.

Has anyone had experience with MCDK and home birth or something similar? I appreciate any help or advice you can offer.

Thanks so much,

Yoly

• 06-10-2009 2:52 PM In reply to

Re: Is home birth still an option for me?

Yoly,

Welcome to MTF and you enjoy your stay here.  This is the correct forum to post this in.

Highly recommend that you check out MT site as well.  At the same time do recommend that you check Our Bodies, Ourselves, The Boston Women's Health Book Collective and their companion website/blog as well.  By the way they do have a Pregnancy and Childbirth and Menopause as well.  Found its really helpful no matter what.  At same time do recommend that you do additional learning and research besides the books and website I give you to give you.  For more info on this.

Hope my recommendations do help you.

Good luck and etc.

• 06-10-2009 5:42 PM In reply to

It seems to me just as safe for you to have a home birth as hospital, based on the info you have given us. Since most of my clients don't get US's, I have no way of knowing if any of "my" babies had this condition, however, I am not aware of any. As you have been told, many people function quite well with just one working kidney, although unhealthy lifestyle habits will wear out  one kidney faster than two, the healthier you eat, the healthier you (baby) remain for longer into their life span.   

• 09-26-2009 2:54 PM In reply to

My DD had the same condition.  It made no difference what so ever as far as my midwives were concerned.  The only danger was if the kidney was enlarged due to the cysts and caused a distended abdomin in the baby.  I had a 36 wk US just to be sure.

• 09-26-2009 6:24 PM In reply to

Thank you for your reply. I am now 38 weeks and still planning a homebirth. We had several ultrasounds to diagnose and track the cystic kidney, and everything looks fine. I am interested as to how your DD is doing now, and what special care is needed after the birth. Did your baby have an ultrasound after birth? It was a scary diagnosis, but everyone tells us that our boy will be normal, that two kidneys are a luxury.

• 09-26-2009 6:48 PM In reply to

DD is 5 now...there was nothing to be done in our case...her kidney just ended up not developing.  I ended up with a hospital transfer (long horrible story that had nothing to do with her kidney) 28 hours into labor and they insisted on and threatened another court order if I didn't allow them to do a VCUG.  Everything came back fine.  You might want to consider it....you can contact a Ped Urologist to see him after birth if you feel so inclined.

Basically, it has had absolutely ZERO effect on our lives or hers.  There is nothing that we restrict her from.  She takes Karate as well as gymnastics and plays soccer.  We rarely ever even remember that she only has one kidney.  It's mostly a non event!  We may consider a scan in a year or two, just to be sure there is no additional growth - but it's really no big deal.

Oh...just wanted to add that perhaps part of the reason that we were so nonplused by the whole thing was that my mother had to have a kidney removed as an adult and we came to realize that it really was no biggie.  I mean having to have the kidney removed was a big deal, but living without it was never a problem.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.