in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Responses to recently published study claiming poorer outcomes with home birth?

Last post 07-08-2009 9:33 PM by marlenecpm. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-10-2009 7:31 AM

Responses to recently published study claiming poorer outcomes with home birth?

First let me state that I gave birth at home with a CNM in December '08 and I believe that home birth is safe and wonderful. So please don't think I'm trying to start a controversy.

After reading a medscape article here: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/702351 about a study by Dr. Michael Malloy which found that home birth with a CNM was substantially riskier than hospital birth with CNM (obstetrician-attended births were also found to be riskier than hospital births with CNMs), I am hoping for some insightful responses from this community. Are there major flaws in this study that I'm not seeing? I want to be able to present fact-based information to my students and doula clients and hope you can help me. I am aware of the study published in the BMJ which found the opposite to be true.

Tara

Mommy to two wonderful girls (10/01 &12/03) and a sweet boy (12/08)
    CBE and birth doula
    Excuse typos as I nurse at the keyboard!
  • 06-10-2009 2:16 PM In reply to

Re: Responses to recently published study claiming poorer outcomes with home birth?

You have to be registered as a Medscape user (free!) to access the article which is a summary of a presentation at the 2009 meeting of the Pediatric Academic Societies (plural).  The presenter was Michael Malloy from the University fo Texas Medical Branch in Galveston.  Hopefully that's enough info to get you where you need to go as copying and pasting the actual article will be against copyright laws.  I think we'd all be interested in your analysis, Dawn, because you're our resident stats/journal-analyzer go-to person. Yes

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 06-10-2009 6:35 PM In reply to

Re: Responses to recently published study claiming poorer outcomes with home birth?

Sorry - I didn't get a chance to get on here sooner with the info. Hopefully the information Brlnbabies shared will enable you to find the article. Thanks!

Tara

CBE and birth doula
  • 06-11-2009 6:10 AM In reply to

Thank you Dawn, that was helpful, and like you said, we'll wait and see.

Tara

CBE and birth doula
  • 07-08-2009 9:33 PM In reply to

I was able to read the article. 1st, it seems to contradict itself. In one part it says only low risk births were included, in another spot it says the reason CNMW's (what does the W after CNM stand for anyway?) have better stats than the docs is because the docs have a higher risk population... huh... didn't they just say only low risk births were used?  that kinda blows their credibility in my eyes!  Also, not from that article, but from another source about the same study, I read that UC (planned & unplanned) births were included. It's not fair to lump UC stats onto the homebirth midwives stats.

CNM's may have worse stats for their homebirths than they do for their hospital births, because their training is mostly or all in hospital births, as is the docs training. The BMJ homebirth stats looked better because it looked at CPM's whose training is in the home, therefore are better prepared for dealing with emergencies in that setting than the HCP's that  are training to use fancy equipment instead of their hands.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.