in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

An uncircumcised boy...?

Last post 07-06-2009 1:25 AM by GloriaLemay. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-09-2009 5:39 PM

An uncircumcised boy...?

Matty was sadly circ'd.  But Gabey wasn't (yay!).  He's 3 now, and I'm not sure about the development of the uncircumcised penis. Huh?

I figured you gals would know more than the docs around here, I'm sure they're pretty snip happy.  Which brings me to the main questions:

Is a 3 yo's foreskin supposed to be able to retract?  Is it ok if it doesn't?  Sometimes the end of it gets red...is it from him doing something to it?  It doesn't seem red like it's infected or anything, just...reddish pink like it was pulled to hard or pinched or soemthing.  I'm going to assume that if he's not complaining about it, it's ok...but I'm one of the few around here with an intact boy, sooooooo....clueless....lol.

• 06-09-2009 5:54 PM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

Re: An uncircumcised boy...?

Sleepysheephollowv,

It's okay if your son's foreskin is not retractable at age 3.  It will retract one day!!  As long as there is no urinary problems, he's fine.  A little redness on the tip is perfectly normal at that age, comes with hands, playing naked, dirt, etc.,  if you are concerned you could put a little antibiotic cream on the foreskin or just wash with soap and water.  I didn't see my son's foreskin retract until he was about +/- 3, (he was naked a lot - we lived in the jungle) then he retracted it all the time!  It became his favorite toy, so hence the redness on the tip!  No worries.

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 06-09-2009 8:52 PM In reply to

I must agree, my boy's penis has been his fav toy for a wee while now.  i have noticed a strange habit they have of trying to place thier penis's into things, toys, drains on the floor of the shower, hoses.  I presume they all do this...Embarrassed I just got my boy to wash himself in the shower or bath once he was able and once i noticed (well was shown really!!  'Yes, aren't you clever! Now what else can you play with?[:P'])  we got him to gently retract and wash around the tip of his penis with water.  seems fine so far!

• 06-10-2009 5:25 AM In reply to

There is no real deadline for retraction; sometime between now and the completion of puberty he will be retractable.  It will get red occassionally from all sorts of things, even from his foreskin starting the normal process of separation.  It's all good. :)

Blessings,
    Aron

"I AM NOT CRAZY - it's just that my situation seems to require a crazy person."
  • 06-10-2009 12:35 PM In reply to

thanks everyone!  I didn't really think anything was wrong, just like to be armed with knowledge...I find I can do some rather dumb things when I don't have a grasp on the situation, lol.

• 06-10-2009 1:52 PM In reply to

All three of my boys are uncirc'ed. My oldest got an infection in his foreskin when he was around age 3 (oozing green). At that point it was not retractable (healed nicely).

When my next youngest was 4yrs old he was in the bathtub and his foreskin was retracted so I asked my older son who was 8 by that time if his penis did that and he said yes. So I gave them both some brief instruction about pulling it back every so often and gently cleaning underneath with warm water and a washcloth.

My  youngest son (we're currently in the process of adopting him and are thankful that his mother left the hospital before signing the consent forms to have him circ'edBig Smile) is 21 months and his foreskin is retractable.

Not sure if that's helpful or not...but wanted to share my experience. LOL, really though I haven't put much thought into my boys' uncirc'ed penises...or in my girl's clitorises/vaginas for that matterSmile. If something isn't working right I'm sure I'll notice or they'll tell me.

~Take Care!~

• 06-10-2009 2:20 PM In reply to

My 2 boys, ages 10 and 8 are intact, and very happy about that! Over the years there have been little things like redness on the tip, but never anything serious or requiring treatment. To tell you the truth, I don't know much about what goes on with their privates, and I am not very knowledgeable as to what to do (or not) re foreskins! The first pediatrician we had was of the mindset that boys should be circ'ed and tried to warn me about cervical cancer, penile cancer and AIDS..... all within the secretary's hearing, and then she chimed in too! I was made to feel like an unclean idiot for not circ' ing my boys! The reason we were discussing it was that my then 2 year-old had some redness for the first time and it freaked me out. My baby was about a month old and the ped said it's not too late to have him done. So I went on the internet and found out that circumcision was not recommended at all by any medical association. However, my 10 year-old's foreskin has never retracted on its own, though the ped would retract at every visit from birth. I think he was trying to cause problems to prove his point about the necessity of circumcision! Then with a new pediatrician, she said that we gotta get his foreskin stretched out soon (we've treated twice with cortisone and stretching), but after treating it always goes back. She warned that it will be excruciatingly painful when he has an erection. So, I'm still worried about that and am not sure what to do about it. (Though circumcision is NOT an option!) It's just like birth in the sense that there's always someone around to tell their horror stories and why they had to be circumcised as an older child or adult......

• 06-10-2009 2:45 PM In reply to

At 10yrs old I'm sure he's already had many erections and it seems he'd tell you if they hurt! Is his foreskin bothering him at all? Is he having trouble urinating? Is he getting infections? Why now at 10yrs old if there aren't any problems? Is it possible that it *is* retracting but not at times where it's visible?

• 06-10-2009 6:15 PM In reply to

Like I said I don't really know what goes on with the boys' privates now, as they are too old for Mommy to be washing them but I'm not sure, is there a difference between little boy/ baby erections and ones at puberty? He hasn't actually reached puberty yet, though he's showing some signs that he's getting close. He does not have trouble urinating but the hole is quite small 1-2mm. I do think that his foreskin could have been damaged by the first pediatrician pulling a tight foreskin back every visit  :(  Thanks for the discussion. I've been meaning to ask some questions on this subject for a while.

• 06-10-2009 7:05 PM In reply to

Even though you may not be giving your son(s) their baths anymore, you would be recognizing if the penis was giving any one of them trouble. They'd be grabbing themselves or seeming to be really itchy or fidgeting a lot with the front of their pants. Perhaps not directly in public, but being a mom, you'd be noticing it because moms have 4,000 eyes and those are the ones in the front of their heads. Wink For ex., when my stepson from my first marriage was about 10, he started grabbing himself when he thought nobody was looking and we finally found out that his circumcision had actually been botched and he had adhesions which did not cause him any problems until he was that old ... causing him to have to get "redone" (Youch!)

I wonder if the original pediatrician (I'm assuming you didn't go back to this guy) also suggests creams, "skinning", and circumcision for the clitoral hood on girls. It's quite obvious that this dude didn't know much about the body part he was talking about.

You can get some very good info as far as to what a normal foreskin looks and acts like from the writings of Dr. Paul Fleiss.  Try: www.foreskin.org/fleiss.htm or www.infocirc.org or www.mothering.com.  All of those resources will give you good information on foreskin retraction and care of the intact penis.  Hope that helps.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 06-11-2009 10:48 AM In reply to

Maybe this is a bad comparison but as I was reading I was thinking about what brlnbabies touched on. Dr's don't suggest we stretch our daughters' clitoral hoods or vag openings because they're not "big enough" at 10yrs old to allow sexual gratification, penile insertion, and/or the delivery of a baby after puberty. 

My heart goes out to moms who face these issues because of the large amount of misinformation. I haven't figured out why drs continue to support circ so heavily when none of the major health organizations do. Is it $$, pride, ignorance, prejudice, pressure...???

• 06-11-2009 8:11 PM In reply to

Here's another great site which Gloria Lemay passed down a few weeks ago on another site.  (I think it was Gloria.  Mea culpa if it wasn't and I'm not giving proper credit.) http://www.circumstitions.com/Itsaboy.html

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 06-11-2009 8:28 PM In reply to

Thank you all sooooo much!   I tend to disagree highly (to the point of growling, lol) with many doctors...so I didn't want to see what they ahd to say about uncirc'd babies....I figured he is ok, it doens't seem to cause him any trouble.  In fact, he ran through the house holding onto it earlier today with his god-sister (6 days apart) also naked running behind him....oy vey Confused the trouble those 2 will cause!!!!!

• 06-11-2009 10:02 PM In reply to

My take on the human body issues are, leave it  alone!   Since evolution favors success,it would make you have to ask,  Why is the foreskin there?  To protect the little naked bodies as they run about?  To keep the bladder opening covered and prevent infection?  Why would someone decide to cut it off?  Because they were told by someone they would go blind if they played with it?  And so decided to mess up every boy child they found?  Or could a large part of it be greed and money?  If an OB doc does 10 of them a day,that is a boat payment!! [ I rave on about women being told to feed the baby water.  If it was important that babies have water,one spigot would run water!]

claudia

Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. - Robert A Heinlein
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.