in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Why the rule of 3's

Last post 06-22-2009 4:26 PM by Sleepysheephollowvt. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-08-2009 10:08 PM

Why the rule of 3's

Anyone elso out there had this phenomenon...births..and complications seem to come in sets of 3...ie my last 5 wks of births...

3 homebirths - all difficult pushes, one serious cephalohaematoma (compound posterior)...one very flat babe born with congenital pneumnia (spent a week in NICU) one babe admitted for nasty bladder infection day 2.....HUH??

then the next 3......

one mum who ended up with intervention after intervention, posterior baby,vacuum epidural birth, suture dehiscence day 5, reconstructive surg...repeat dehiscence day 8...complete faecal incontinence

next two also posterior with long difficult pushing stage....2+hrs each  (we do teach optimal fortal positioning BTW)

and then the final 3.......

baby 1...R.O.P with her elbow up by her face.....bad 2nd deg tear

baby 2 compound ....bad 2nd deg tear

baby 3 compound......bad 2nd deg tear

(we push spontaneously, no purple pushing,use a variety of pushing positions.....dont do epis unless button -holing seen

Cmon some good birthing energy PLEASE???Have a vbac coming up and need a good ole fashioned happy birthing......

• 06-08-2009 11:31 PM In reply to

Re: Why the rule of 3's

sending you happy birthing vibes.

Jesus was born unassisted!
  • 06-09-2009 10:25 PM In reply to

I think this is an old wives tale.  It seems to come true because we think of things that have happened and string them together until we have the proper number of events to satisfy the supposed rule.  It is no more true than having a black cat walk in front of you[  Come to think of it,I have a black who is always under foot!  Maybe I need to rethink my gray hair,my weedy yard,the laundry that appears form nowhere and the disappearing socks.  That Darned cat!!]

claudia

Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. - Robert A Heinlein
  • 06-12-2009 6:31 PM In reply to

I'm not sure about a rule of three, but things like this do tend to come in clusters don't they?  Maybe we mentally group them into 3's? Anyhow, good birthing vibes for your VBAC!!

• 06-12-2009 10:11 PM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

Yes Ann,

Happy vbac birthing.  Consider the spell broken!

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 06-13-2009 9:36 AM In reply to

Oh dear, sad sad mommy.... vbacs here are still very controversial, we only have 1 gynae who backs us up...2 wks before due date, gynae declares hes going away...and no other gynae is prepared to back us up...so after months of preparation..this mama has been told she has to go for repeat CS.....hate hate hate this flipping system....mama is inderstandably heartbroken....

• 06-16-2009 8:24 AM In reply to

afraid if she decided to go that route she would be UCing, her midwife (im the doula for this mama) will not do the birth without backup...and no gynae would voluntarily deliver her even if she came in pushing, she would be sent back to the govt hosp (think your version of NHS??) which here in SA are APPALING..plus we havent ruled out her being one of the genuine cases of CPD and i do personally feel that the labour and the baby need monitoring..cant advise her to go it alone...not that she would..shes very scared of labour anyway and not 100% trusting her bodys ability to do this....feel horrible that shes just not getting a chance to even try tho......

• 06-22-2009 4:26 PM In reply to

*grumble*  this really p****s me off!  there shouldn't be a reason that she can't try, other than docotors feeling this is easier and not trusting a woman's body.........*going off to scream somewhere*

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.