in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Alternative perspectives on Group B Strep - "Evil Bacillus," or "Beneficial Microbe"?

Last post 05-31-2009 10:24 AM by sji. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-24-2009 12:21 PM

• sji
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-24-2009
    • Posts 3

Alternative perspectives on Group B Strep - "Evil Bacillus," or "Beneficial Microbe"?

My wife and I have a beautiful and healthy 4 month old daughter, and thankfully, we had her through a midwife the natural way.  That is, not without many challenges along the way.  Our experience with "Group B" is what I want to share with you here, so you can get a broader perspective on what is right for you. 

Our midwife, who like many midwives, was under great pressure to do things according to conventional medical protocols and suggested we test my wife for Group B Strep, which according to the literature we received from her office seemed like a very bad bug.  We were told that if my wife was tested for Group B Strep and it was positive, she would have to undergo antibiotic treatment during birth.   This would have violated all the principles of health and sound medical opinion that we hold dear.  On the other hand, our midwife informed us that if we did not take the test, we would not be obligated to take antibiotics should she be found Group B positive.  A catch-22, it seemed. Shouldn't we have a right to know, and then use that information to make our choice, not have the choice made by the State.

Thankfully I did more research and found out that even if my wife tested positive, it was not some death sentence.  It appears that Group B Strep, though implicated in serious but rare infections, may not be the "cause" of them.....and just as the forest floor is teeming with "pathogenic?" fungi that break down dead plant matter, some bacteria may only be secondary manifestations of a deeper underlying break down of immunity (inadequate implantation of beneficial bacteria? Insufficient IGA production in mother's milk? Etc...)

I found a study on Medline entitled "Vaginal bacterial flora of pregnant women colonized with group B streptococcus." and published in the Journal of Infectitious Chemotherapy, 2002, which concluded:

These results suggest that the GBS-positive flora is associated with a lower risk of abnormality during pregnancy and abnormal pregnancy outcome compared with the GBS-negative flora, although this group is one of the most important pathogens in neonatal infections.

Another study in the Journal of Pediatrics, 2005 entitled: "Association of intrapartum antibiotic exposure and late-onset serious bacterial infections in infants." shows that intrapartum antibiotics may increase the risk of late-onset serious bacterial infections in term infants.

CONCLUSIONS: After adjusting for potential confounders, infants with late-onset SBI [Serious Bacterial Infections] were more likely to have been exposed to IPA [Intrapartum Antibiotics] than noninfected control infants. Pathogens that cause late-onset SBI were more likely to be resistant to ampicillin when the infant had been exposed to intrapartum antibiotics.

These studies help us to see beyond the fear-based, toximolecularly-driven disease-model of allopathic medicine.  Blasting "evil bacteria" with poisons usually creates more harm than it undoes.  I hope this information helps others make better decisions. We have an extremely healthy baby and I know that had we exposed her, or her mother, at what is perhaps the most important moment of her life, things might not have gone over so well.

I have posted other relevant studies to this page: http://www.greenmedinfo.com/taxonomy/term/5598

• 05-24-2009 9:28 PM In reply to

Re: Alternative perspectives on Group B Strep - "Evil Bacillus," or "Beneficial Microbe"?

When I worked as a L/D nurse in the late 90's,the gb strep. issue became more amd more crazy.  While it is true that babies can become ill quickly,close observation in the first 24 hrs.past birth can catch most of the problems.  The % of of babies who get sick is a small risk next to what they do to rule out GBS.  Besides the money and resourses used to treat everyone with ruptured membranes with antibiotics could be put to greater use.[How about we feed the mothers and increase there social condition!] It is IMO,the same type of hassle with eye drops.  We have antibiotic drops,why do it till it is needed?    A baby born at home to a healthy woman has a very small risk of getting GBS.  Being born in hosp.with many people examining her,make mom and baby much more apt to get sick.

claudia

Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. - Robert A Heinlein
  • 05-27-2009 6:05 AM In reply to

• joi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-22-2009
    • europe
    • Posts 7

Re: Alternative perspectives on Group B Strep - "Evil Bacillus," or "Beneficial Microbe"?

another alternative perspective, maybe it`s interesting for you

they do a study about this subject

www.dafigb.de

http://www.dafigb.de/informationen.php

in my region (austria) about 30% of woman are strepto b positive (me too, for example, and i had 4 (home)births and no antibiotics ;-))

but of course very few babies get an infection

and those who get an infection get it very fast and heavy

why is this?

so the thing is: you can divide the b-streptos in many subtypes (first they thought there are only 9 subtypes, but they found more in the last years) 

most of the women have subtype nr2, which seems to be a very harmless one (so when a woman has subtype nr.2 we stay at home for birth, have a good eye on mama and baby of course, but stay very relaxed, no antibiotics)

very, very seldom a woman has subtype nr.1 or nr.4 - those subtypes are suspected to be the "dangerous" ones and cause those heavy infections, in this case i advise to give birth in hospital and to use antibiotics

this procedure makes sense in my opinion and we have good experiences doing so

love, joi        

• 05-28-2009 6:53 AM In reply to

Joi, I've never heard of there being subtypes to GBS, but what a logical explanation! Is it more expensive or more difficult to type the strains of GBS?  I ask because I can't think of any other reason more OBs are not requesting to know the subtype and basing their recommendations off that information - seems like it would be the simplest solution.

.......wait.  Just figured it out.... :( If they don't look at the subtype and just class all GBS+ women in the category of No Homebirth Allowed/Must Have Abx someone makes more $$$$.

Blessings,
    Aron

"I AM NOT CRAZY - it's just that my situation seems to require a crazy person."
  • 05-31-2009 2:16 AM In reply to

• joi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-22-2009
    • europe
    • Posts 7

hi,

here it costs 50 euros to find out which subtype it is

and yes, it seems to be a little bit complicated, i couldnt find a possibility to check out the subtypes in austria, so we have to send the material to germany ..

but sure you are right: nobody is interested in learning and finding out more about these subtypes because doctors etc. think: hey, where´s the problem? give birth in hospital and take these antibiotics and thats it 

• 05-31-2009 9:26 AM In reply to

sji,

Congratz on the birth of your daughter.

Thanx for sharin your own and etc story with us.  Always found this interestin because you two stood up for yourselfs instead of the other way round.

• 05-31-2009 10:24 AM In reply to

• sji
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-24-2009
    • Posts 3

Thanks for the support Jessica! We are so happy to have a healthy baby girl, and feel for all of those out there that don't feel they have a choice when it comes to things like antibiotics, vitamin K, vaccines, etc. We are lucky to have this forum to express ourselves.

Best Regards!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.