in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Subchorionic Hematoma

Last post 06-05-2009 11:24 PM by Jennesse. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-23-2009 9:34 PM

Subchorionic Hematoma

Aside from the icky stuff associated with these, any suggestions for dealing with this? I've seen where mother-to-mother support suggests staying well hydrated because, as we know, dehydration can bring on contractions which may lead to further complications especially if too early.  Any other words of wisdom?

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 05-24-2009 8:48 AM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

Re: Subchorionic Hematoma

Susan,

Watchful behavior, hydration, no straining and standard doses of vit E (to increase circulation and help the placenta really stay attached) is what I recommend for SCH.

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 05-24-2009 11:22 AM In reply to

Thanks!

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 06-05-2009 11:24 PM In reply to

Subchorionic bleeds are relatively common.  They have no significance at all, except that you can bleed throughout your pregnancy.  We had one woman in our practice, who bled enough for her hemoglobin to drop significantly.  It went on throughout her whole pregnancy.  We sent her to an OB who said, basically, ya she will bleed, and there is nothing you can do about it, and it means nothing.  She had a lovely homebirth.

We have also had women who have had them resolve.  They want an ultrasound for bleeding, and we order one, and then at the 18-20 week ultrasound, there is nothing.

So this is really just a normal thing...but very annoying.  So, enjoy your pregnancy and try not to worry too much about this...but don't go lifting 50 lb bags of potatoes!!!

Jennesse

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.