in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Never Got Past 3 cm

Last post 05-20-2009 8:49 AM by Brlnbabies. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-18-2009 5:41 AM

Never Got Past 3 cm

I recently attended a woman who was going for a home vbac.  Her first birth was an induction for going beyond 41 weeks and this was in Britain.  She didn't have a good experience at all and was left on pitocin with bone-crushing contractions for days.  She was actually in the hospital for a week before those attending her decided on a surgical birth after baby's heart rate started going south. Her cervix never got past 3 cm. She waited 3 years before becoming pregnant and decided on a homebirth here with an absolutely fabulous and extremely skilled midwife.  Labor started on its own and contractions stayed at 5 min apart for 2 days before baby's heart rate started some funky stuff and they transported to the hospital.  When she got to the hospital, the midwife on call (the homebirth midwife has no privileges at this hospital) gave us a lot of hope and was optimistic that this baby would come out, the heart rate was fine and mama was left to labor for about 5 hours before those attending her started talking cesarean which was why the homebirth midwife had her transported in the first place; she felt it was a no go otherwise she definitely wouldn't have suggested transport. Again, mama never got past 3 cm, and contractions were quite intense and stayed 5 min apart despite trying every positional trick in the book, acupressure, massage, homeopathics.  They did AROM in the hospital and nothing changed.  Babies were 9#5 oz (girl) and 9# 12 oz (boy) respectively. No molding.  Mother relaxes beautifully, but I didn't see any change in emotions--she's quiet during contractions and concentrates but in between she remains fairly chatty.  Epidural with the first labor but nothing until the spinal for the cesarean this time. Nursing goes extremely well.

We've been talking recently and she's wondering "what's wrong with me that I can't go past 3?"  Nobody feels anything funky with the cervix, she's healthy.  She's a plus size woman.  The docs at this latest birth kept mentioning gestational diabetes because the babies were big, the mother's blood sugars were high in the labor (stress?) despite no real food once she was at the hospital (she refused the glucose test during both pregnancies).  The docs were horrified that she would even think about becoming pregnant again let alone attempt another vaginal birth. Could something endocrine be going on which would make the labors funky like this?  We talked yesterday about trying TCM to see if she could get balanced out before she tries another pregnancy.

She has long cycles--about 41-48 days.

Any thoughts?  She's not going to do anything like cleanses; that's not her thing.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 05-19-2009 3:27 AM In reply to

Re: Never Got Past 3 cm

Just a quick idea...  Plus size women often dilate very slowly because obesity causes a problem with the calcium and magnesium balance in muscle cells which in turn make the contractions less effective.  Very large amounts of calcium supplmentation at the end of PG and during labour is supposed to help but i don't have personal stories.

Me 32, DH 41, DD 2006, DD 2010, DS 2013
  • 05-19-2009 3:32 AM In reply to

Ah.  Interesting.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 05-19-2009 8:55 PM In reply to

That's very strange?

DId she bring any unwanted emotions to her labor? ( Besides being fearful?)

Did she have a history or abuse.....what is/was her realtionship like with her mother?

Mary...shrugging her shoulders?!

• 05-20-2009 6:08 AM In reply to

No, no emotional stuff going on, her mom and dad are extremely supportive and helpful.  The only fear she brought was initially when she checked into the hospital but that went quickly when she saw how our hospital was the total opposite of her experience in England.  The staff never blinked an eye at her choice of a homebirth vbac.  Only at the bitter end when she told them how she'd like to be stitched up and one of the assisting surgeons (a resident) raised her eyebrows when my client mentioned trying again for a vbac.

Susan

• 05-20-2009 6:18 AM In reply to

Do you know for sure, she was not abused as a child?

I had a client one time that suffeered HORRENDOUS abuse....her cervix was damaged.

However she WAS able to complete dilation.

Mary

• 05-20-2009 8:49 AM In reply to

Well, I wasn't with her when she was growing up (!!) but yes, she says she has no trauma in her past.  Her cervix is in great shape Yes, her pelvis is beautiful Yes. It seems hormonal to me because she doesn't get into any of the emotional signposts.  She'll make contractions with regularity and then it just dwindles when she gets to 3 and the uterus just stops.  It did the same thing with pit the first time and everyone thought it was the combination of pit and laboring for 7 days in the hospital (SEVEN DAYS!). This time she had the most wonderful perfect midwife (think Ina May wonderful) and after several days of on and off labor and then the 2 days of labor with hard contractions, she just petered out.  When we got to the hospital, contractions were 5 min apart.  After she got settled in, they went to 3 min apart for about an hour and then they went back to 5 and then slowly dwindled to nothing, just sort of here and there.  Of course with scarred uterus, pit wasn't discussed and I don't know if pit-in-the-states would've changed anything that pit-in-Brit didn't ... except it would not have been a week-long induction, that's for sure.  But pit isn't given to women doing a vbac.  So if it's hormonal, I don't know if artificial hormone would've helped or not ... but we both wonder if there's something endocrine going on, especially since the sugars were funky and she's big to begin with.  Could diabetes affect this?  Again, she has long cycles.  It doesn't look like PCOS and she has no trouble conceiving or holding onto a pregnancy or making milk.  I've seen much much larger women do perfectly, however.  I just can't put my finger on what the deal is and again wonder if a good traditional tune up would work.  Certainly couldn't hurt.

Susan

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.