in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Australia

What's happening in Italy???

Last post 08-06-2009 4:42 AM by amyworsham. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-13-2009 5:22 PM

What's happening in Italy???

Anything interesting going on in Italy? I spend the summers there and I would like to be involved with birth but don't know anyone who is having babies outside of the hospital.

Let me know if you are there or you know anything.

All the best,

Rivka

Rivka Cymbalist, BA, CD(DONA)
    birth attendant
    @montrealdoula
  • 06-25-2009 2:53 AM In reply to

home birth in italy

Hi Rivka,

I am an italian midwife and i am 25 weeks pregnant i am due in the begging of october...I am looking for a midwife because i would love to have an home birth but where i live there are not midwife available for home birth!!!!!! how long are you staying in italy for?

• 06-30-2009 10:07 AM In reply to

Re: What's happening in Italy???

Hello Rivka and Manuela,

have you heard about the midwifery school of Verena Schmid? It might be a starting point.

Their website is:

http://www.marsupioscuola.it/

Good luck to both of you!

Nina

Nina Rinkes, homebirth midwife

"Life shrinks and expands in relation to one's courage." Anais Nin
  • 07-18-2009 11:25 PM In reply to

Hi,

Not sure where to post this, but I am currently living in Italy and about 8 weeks pregnant with my 4th and looking for a midwife for a homebirth or birthing center.  I live near lago di Garda in the province of Brescia.  I speak little Italian so I am looking for a midwife who can speak English.  Does anyone here know of anyone who would be able to help?

Thank you in advance 

Rebecca

Filed under: ,
  • 07-24-2009 3:05 AM In reply to

There are homebirth midwives all over Italy, Marsupio I think in MIlan and another in Florence. Verena Schmidt is in Florence...

Good luck,

Rivka

birth attendant
    @montrealdoula
  • 07-24-2009 3:06 AM In reply to

Re: home birth in italy

I am leaving at the beginning of Seèptember. Dove sei? Mio numero e 333 237 6263. Chiamami!

Rivka

birth attendant
    @montrealdoula
  • 07-24-2009 5:38 AM In reply to

Re: home birth in italy

Hi Rivka,

• Hope you are having a good time in Italy..l live in Pescara(Abruzzo) and unfortunately it is about 4 /5 hours away from Florence...my due date is the 15th of October...I have already contact Il Marsupio scuola but they weren't very helpful where are you staying?

• 07-24-2009 5:45 AM In reply to

Hi Rebecca,

How are you?Have you tried to contact MIPA...www.mipaonline.com

I am sure they will be able to help you plus they are in Brescia so you can even go and talk to them..(they speak english too)

Let me know if you need anything else

Manuela

• 07-24-2009 6:54 AM In reply to

Hello,

I have recently relocated from the US to Genoa with my husband. I am 36 weeks pregnant and am looking for assistance in finding an english speaking midwife or doula that may assist in a home birth or in a birthing center. I have visited the Ospedale Gaslini and am afraid hospital policy might be more important than my natural birthing plan. This is our second child; our first was vaginal delivery without complications.

I have visited the MIPA online website... and so far have had little success in navigation as I speak hardly enough Italian.

Appreciate any help. Thank you,

Amy

• 07-24-2009 6:56 AM In reply to

Are you near Genoa? I am due in 4 weeks. Are you available?

Thank you,

Amy

• 07-24-2009 10:05 AM In reply to

Hi Amy

I am sorry I live far away from Genova so I cannot really help you much...if you want this is my mobile number 3282768800 if you want any advice I will be very happy to help you...have you tried to call Mipa..they do speak English so they should be able to help you...You can also tried to call these midwife she lives around Genova and she does home birth too Katia Pistelli 0185.720635 I am not sure if she speaks english but you can always try

HAVE A NICE WEEK END

MANU

• 07-28-2009 11:01 AM In reply to

Hi Amy,

I am about an hour from Genova. You can call me at 333 237 6263...please do, I am sure I can help out ...

Rivka

birth attendant
    @montrealdoula
  • 07-30-2009 3:10 AM In reply to

Manuela,

I sent them an email message but have not received any response.   Does anyone know of a birthing center near lago di Garda?   Also, can someone please tell me about birthing in Italian hospitals.  I am still not sure what I want to do.  I think I am nervous about something going wrong, and well honestly the clean up and mess of childbirth at home.   Also, I have only mentioned home birth to two people and of course I got the what if something goes wrong thing.  I am just not sure if I can handle 9 months of people thinking I am wrong and putting my baby and myself at risk.  I also have the option of delivering at an American military center that is an hour and half away but I have done that before in a different place and I hate just being another number in chain.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.   

Let me just say that I have had three natural births, no pain meds.  I have had to have poticion (sp?) because water broke and no contractions.  Of course in hindsight I think if I would have just been able to birth the way I wanted to, I could have done with out.   

Thanks again

Rebecca

• 07-30-2009 6:18 AM In reply to

Hi Rebecca,

I am not a doula or midwife.. and have very little experience in the Italian medical system.  I have been learning as I go. I sensed some urgency in your questions and can understand your frustrations. I am newly transplanted from the US... within the last month, and I have just three weeks to go until the birth of our #2 baby... While I have a birthing plan I find have troubles communicating it within the hospital setting. I am looking for a natural birth and am swaying towards a home birth... and yes, the clean up of it all seems quite daunting.  Anyhow, I thought I'd just write you to see if you need any support... I am sorry I can't offer too much advice of practitioners in your area. But I can try to search along with you and perhaps we'll find something. If you'd like to email me, please do, abronge@umail.iu.edu.

Take care,

Amy

• 07-30-2009 6:26 AM In reply to

Hi Rivka! At the fear of sounding completelt inept... I have to admit, I have come to realize I do not know how to work italian telephones... I just tried giving you a call, but I am pretty sure I am doing something wrong. I am sorry.

However, I am very excited to have your reply. My phone connection is rather poor at the moment.. it seems fuzzy during conversations, I'll have to have my husband take a look at it when he comes back.But I am interested in what sort of training and experience you have had along with what sort of services you offer as well as what costs to expect.

I will tell you more about myself also. I am 29 years old. This birth will be my second child. My first pregnancy was normal and the birth was normal vaginal delivery without complications. My water broke naturally and she was born about 18 hours later. I know that no two pregnancies are alike, but so far this one has been great! I feel very well and am in good health.

I am looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you,
    Amy

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.