in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

No amniotic fluid in uterus.

Last post 05-06-2009 5:56 PM by Brlnbabies. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-05-2009 7:26 PM

No amniotic fluid in uterus.

A teen mom I know found through an ultrasound that she has no amniotic fluid in her uterus, however, the baby has fluid in his abdomen.  Has anyone heard of that? 

Vicki - wife to Chris, mom to eleven, doula and midwifery student.
    Filed under: ,
  • 05-05-2009 7:56 PM In reply to

Re: No amniotic fluid in uterus.

Is that all they told the mom?  Did they mention problems with the kidneys or other organs or a specific syndrome?

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 05-05-2009 9:18 PM In reply to

blocked ureters or kidneys anomolly?  Maybe that is really not what she heard.Doesn't sound good.

claudia

Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. - Robert A Heinlein
  • 05-06-2009 4:40 AM In reply to

I agree, it doesn't sound good.  What's her gestation?  We just had a stillborn in our community (the mom's second in a row, after 5 healthy children.)  The midwife thinks it's congenital nephrotic syndrome, what the mennonites term "kidney babies".  According to what I found on the web, ascites, or swelling of the abdomen is the typical sign of hydrops, a common side effect of kidney disease in babies.  If the abdomen is already swollen, there's probably little hope of survival.  I'm surprised no one talked to this young women at length about this dismal news.  And, if there's no fluid, probably poor lung function. 

• 05-06-2009 6:00 AM In reply to

She is about 32 weeks.  She really didn't seem to know much, neither did her mom.  In my mind I was thinking it was Potter's Syndrome.  But then she told me that the doctors had never seen this before.  We live in West Central MN and she has been sent to Minneapolis for help.  It was the doctors there who told her they didn't know what it is.  

I agree that it sounds like an issue with the kidneys. 

• 05-06-2009 9:14 AM In reply to

It doesn't sound like it quite fits the definition of Potters, however, if she lives in a small community it may be that no one has ever seen this before.  (I thought hydrops was consistent with too much fluid. ??)  Whatever it is, it's going to be quite an ordeal.  Are you going to be her doula throughout? 

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 05-06-2009 1:13 PM In reply to

We do live in a small community, that is why they sent her away to a big clinic/hospital.  The big clinic also doesn't know what it is. 

I had to tell her I couldn't help her as she will be delivering 2 1/2 hours away from here.  With my family here I just cannot go that far away.  Her mother will be with her and I told her I would give her "lessons" and also told her to read "Birth Partner".  I did tell them to call me for whatever reason 24/7  before, during and after the birth.

• 05-06-2009 5:56 PM In reply to

Aw, gee.  It's going to be tough.

Susan

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.