in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Breastfeeding Problems! Help!

Last post 04-29-2009 10:33 PM by claudiaToms. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-29-2009 3:31 PM

• mainah
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-11-2009
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 5

Breastfeeding Problems! Help!

Daughter is almost 4 months old. Her brother is 2 years old. He fed on breastmilk aggressively, loved feeding times and couldn't get enough. My daughter was finicky since birth. She has grown beautifully and seems to be in wonderful health. The issue now is when our schedualed feedings come around (7am, 10am, 1pm, every two or three hours) she fights me when she doesn't want to eat. I will sit with her for quite some time trying to offer to her and she just screams and scrapes away. As long as she isn't near the boob she is happy! I will fight with her even up to six hours during the day to try and eat. She just won't have anything to do with it until she is good and ready, which can be between 4 and 6 hours since her last feeding.

The above is the issue, here are the facts. She is four months old as I have stated. She is drooling and teething quite a bit; she sleeps through the night, (last feeding is anywhere between 9-11 pm and then she sleeps anywhere from 4-7 am in the morning). She seems to take her morning, night meals a lot better than afternoon meals. Most days she skips them altogether even after my constant persuation.

Can you wonderfully experienced, graceful mum's help me?!

Filed under:
  • 04-29-2009 7:17 PM In reply to

Re: Breastfeeding Problems! Help!

Congratz on the arrival of your 2nd one.  Sorry to read about your bfing problems with the 2nd one.  Highly recommend that you check out this site and do addtional learning and research besides thiswebsite I give you to give her.  For more info on this.  Good luck with everything on this.

• 04-29-2009 7:59 PM In reply to

I may have misinterpreted your post, so please help with clarification.  You mention "our scheduled feedings".  Are you schedule feeding her or are you feeding her on request?  Now that she's 4 months old, it can be totally normal for her to space out her feedings and not want to eat every 2-3 hours.  As you have noticed the differences between your two children, you can see that each child is totally different in eating habits.  If she's happy and healthy, if her diaper production is good, if her skin is good and she doesn't appear dehydrated, if she's gaining weight ... she's probably very normal for her.  Some babies take bigger and longer feeds at certain times of the day.  Be happy she's not like some babies who don't nurse well during the day and then want to nurse all night long!

What cues does she give you that she wants to nurse?

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 04-29-2009 9:11 PM In reply to

• mainah
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-11-2009
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 5

I was feeding her basically on demand from birth to two months of age. She was extremely finicky with eating still so I decided to try and schedual her feedings. So I now feed her on a 2 to 3 hour feeding schedual. You have said some things that have lifted a little bit of a burden I have had. I have this feeling of awful dread because I "feel" like she should be eating more, every two to three hours. But you are right. When she does nurse she could probably sit there for 30 minutes or more, if I didn't let her up. Maybe she doesn't need to eat that often. I don't know how to explain her cues when she wants to nurse, I just know. Everyone else looking at her prob couldn't tell the difference in her cries or shrieks. When she does cue for nursing she usually is quite excited about when she gets some boobie! But it can be hours before she decides she wants to eat again. Since I tried to keep her to a schedual I try and schedual how long she nurses on each side. I think now I'll just be happy and excited when she accepts me and let her nurse as long as her heart desires. She is very healthy nontheless, great skin, great color, great wieght and so on. From what you have said I realize I should accept that she knows what her body needs, and hearing things like, " a baby needs to eat this much, this often..." probably shouldn't make me feel scared when she doesn't stick to those general guidelines.

Thanks for the advice!

• 04-29-2009 10:33 PM In reply to

Sounds to me like you are doing a wonderful job feeding this little one.  Please throw away the books and clock and just feed her.  She is doing fine or she would not gain etc all the things mentioned.  I once talked to a very fustrated mom who said she couldn't get the baby to take the 2ozs of sugar water after each nursing.  At some point,some one in the hosp. had told her baby had to be given some sugar water after nursing to be sure it was getting enough fluids![ not true btw, if baby was supposed to have water,formula etc one breast would have a spicot for water etc.]  So she was fighting with the baby to take a bottle after being full and into the out for the count mode.  You are right,you know best what is the right time for this baby and she surely seems to know!!  Take an extra pat on the back for yourself.  Good Job!!!   

claudia

Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. - Robert A Heinlein
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.