in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

What are dental students taught about breastfeeding?

Last post 05-01-2009 11:53 AM by MrsPianoMan. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-29-2009 7:22 AM

What are dental students taught about breastfeeding?

Yesterday I was at a prenatal class for teens. There is a dental clinic in the hospital that trains students and offers low cost dental care to families. A couple of the students came to talk about caring for baby teeth. They said that breastfeeding causes cavities and should be limited! They had sippy cups with sugar in them, showing how much sugar is in grape juice, apple juice, cows milk. Made sense. Then they showed a cup with how much sugar is in breastmilk and one with the sugar from formula, showing that the formula has less sugar! I could NOT believe it, they were saying that formula and bottle feeding is better for baby teeth! Wow....

• 04-29-2009 10:54 PM In reply to

Re: What are dental students taught about breastfeeding?

WOW.  sounds like someone needs to educate these students on the benifits of breast feeding.  The soft self shapping breast nipple does not deform teeth/gums or affect bite later.  Bottle nipples and dumbies being hard do cause deformities in jaw/teeth. The sucking involved with brst feeding strenghtens the muscles in tongue and cheeks to better support teetha dn speech later on.    The breast milk does have more sugar in it than formula.  That is because Bm is for baby humans and the isotonic properties in it do not disrupt the digestion or use in the baby.  A baby with reflux will have minimal problems with BM as opposed to formula.[ Keeping baby upright during and after feeding will usually get baby past the time with their immature stomach spincture. ]Because the baby is better nurished with Bm, it will hardly ever develope the black rotting baby teeth often seen.   Well anyway,tell them they are standing on their head![in a nice way and pass on the sippy cups too].  Kids do not need something going down their necks continuously.  They should eat and drink at the table for meals and snacks.  they can have water not juice.  The sugar in juice constantly being guzzled causes the tooth decay they are talking about.  I had this disgussion with my dental hygenist a couple years ago.  she did all the research to find out I was right.

claudia

Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. - Robert A Heinlein
  • 04-30-2009 5:24 AM In reply to

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 04-30-2009 9:10 PM In reply to

thank you for the reference.  worth reading. brought out a lot of facts I didn't know.   Now how do we get it to the right people?  That's what frustrates me.

claudia

Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. - Robert A Heinlein
  • 05-01-2009 11:53 AM In reply to

It's frustrating.  I encountered the same problem at our pediatric dentist's office last fall when he asked whether my then-2-y.o. son was still nursing, sucking thumb, using paci, etc.  I told him truthfully that DS was still nursing, and since I suspected that he would say something about it, I had brought with me printouts from kellymom.com explaining why breastfeeding is not a cause of dental caries.  I even highlighted the main points.  He not only argued against that, but he also refused to read or even accept the printouts I brought with me.  I told him that he would certainly want to make sure that he was advising his clients based on the most current and accurate info, but no.  How many mothers are weaning before they want to, based on wrong and fear-mongering info from ill-informed dentists?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/tooth-decay.html

Mommy to unmedicated hospital birth DD 2002, and home waterbirths DD 2004, DS 2006, and DD 2008. Angel baby 2007.

Babywearing, bed-sharing, tandem-nursing, non-vaxxing, homeschooling mommy. Breastfeeding counselor, birth hobbyist, and someday childbirth educator.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.