in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Australia

TTC in 2009...

Last post 01-08-2010 2:35 AM by worstfriend. 141 replies.
Page 1 of 10 (142 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-27-2009 3:51 AM

TTC in 2009...

Hi,

I just thought i'd start a thread on ttc (because i didn't want to crash the one with more specific ttc-related issues) and wondered if you gals planning 2010 babies fancied chatting about it...

At the moment i have a Mirena in place.  I'll be having it removed the first week of June (which will be the 3rd week of my cycle).  We decided to have it removed mid-cycle as i need to have a PAP done and that's a good time for that, and because i really need to know when i fell PG i want to have at least one AF post-removal without the risk of falling PG.

I am very excited as i've wanted another baby for a long time, but now we're getting ready to ttc i am also terrified because my relationship fell apart after DD was born and though i don'tthink there is a remote possibility of that happening with DP, the fear is irrational and still here...

Any of you lovely ladies want to join me on this journey?

Bec

Me 32, DH 41, DD 2006, DD 2010, DS 2013
  • 05-04-2009 6:28 AM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Re: TTC in 2009...

Hi Bec,

Sorry it took so long for me to see this post.  I would love to join you here when I can.  Sometimes I just need to chat about this TTC journey and its ups and downs.  It can be such a charged issue with LOTS of irrational fears.  :-)  In another post, I was thinking aloud about why this issue is so charged, and I think the answer is multifaceted.  I hope that this time can be rewarding for all of us, though (especially with the product of a sweet little babe in arms).  And it is so exciting, especially when you've been looking forward to it for such a long time.  I'm really happy for you!

This is our third cycle really trying, though we haven't been preventing since my cycle resumed about 7 months post-birth in August 08.  I don't really count those months, since I was still breastfeeding a lot and really didn't want to conceive until the beginning of this year at least.  My 15 month old just weaned as of April 23 (I nursed him through a mild flu he had which helped a lot), so I feel that I'm finally ready to give this thing a good try.  In the fall, if we haven't conceived, I will go for some acupuncture.  In the meantime, I'm just trying to be as cool as possible, stay relaxed, and try not to obsess about things (which is hard). 

Will you be charting?  Charting has been a good thing overall for me.  I've done it for about 8 years when not pregnant.  I've also been using ovulation predictors (the cheap dip stick type) to help me pinpoint ovulation more closely.  My fertility signs have not been as clear cut as they used to be (<shrug> maybe its my ripe old age of 28), so this has helped.  My husband has been extremely supportive, and we're having fun with this.  I am glad the "trying" part only comes for a few days each month, though.  The rest of the time is just pure fun. Wink

So let's enjoy this time, laugh a lot, and chat it out.

All the best to you.

....Anyone else want to join in?

RobsGirl, 31
    Wife of one fabulous guy (34)
    Mommy of 3 awesome boys, ages 11, 8, and 4, and a precious 2 year old daughter.

• 05-06-2009 3:19 AM In reply to

HI! :)

I probably won't chart initially.  I used billings NFP method for a few years before DD so i'll probably rely on that for half a year or so and see how we go.  If i don't fall with that then i'll move to charting.

It's funny, most of the ime i've had the Mirena i've had really clear ovulation signs every month, but the last 3 months i've actually been paying attention and all my signs are so hazy!  The mittelschmerz and spotting i was having around ovulation have vanished too...oh well, i need to wait and see how things are without the Mirena i guess.

I'm stressing out badly just now as we're having major issues with our rental.  Our contract is up in a month, we asked to extend and our landlord (who i trying to sell the place) is refusing to say yes or no while e waits fora survey to be done.  If the person who orders the survey wants to buy he can make us leave at the end of our contract, butif WE want to leave we have to give a month's notice...  I phoned about a really promising sounding place this morning but the landlady said she'd need to call the tenant to arrange a viewing as they have poor health and she doesn't want to hassle them...  There isn't much on the market just now and we're not in a good position to buy...blurgh.  Stressful.

And that is making me fret too - i was planning to have the Mirena taken out the week we will potentially be homeless!

Bx

• 05-07-2009 6:15 PM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Hey Bec,

Wow, that does sound stressful.  That's a lot to have on your mind--the threat of having no place to live, and on top of it, your hopes of TTC in July as planned being on the line.  Did you ever get to see that place that sounded so promising? 

Billings is great.  I've used just the mucus sign too in the past, but the temping and OPKs have helped me pinpoint ovulation a lot better for TTC purposes.  That's really interesting about the Mirena.  It has progesterone in it right?  It doesn't prevent ovulation consistently? 

My husband and I have been slaving over our garden.  We're late to begin with, and on top of it, its been raining so much that its a muddy mess out there and difficult to work.  Anyway, we have two beds completed and two more frames waiting for dirt.  I've been digging the "hills" for our squash and melons and such (in rocky and clay soil...I was adding organic matter and soil amendments), so I've been doing strenuous work, and it feels great, but I've been so tired at night.  Anyway, I'm 4 days past ovulation today and to my dismay I've had a bit of brown spotting accompanied by a bearing down, heavy, and slightly crampy feeling in my pelvis.  I feel really tender.  I'll see what happens in the next day or so.  I do kind of wonder if it has to do with the heavy work. 

So that's my current status.

RobsGirl, 31

• 05-12-2009 5:26 AM In reply to

Hi,

We haven't seen the new place yet.  It sounds so perfect on paper.  We drove past it and it looks great too - we just need to view and hopefully pay the bond and i can stop worrying/wondering.  Our landlord is still not saying whether we have to leave or not - the status quo is that we have to be out on June 8th.  Of course if we view this place and it's not suitable then i'll have a whole new headache...

I keep having dreams i'm pregnant, usually about 20ish weeks, big and feeling movement.  It's wonderful until i wake up!  Last night i had a more sinister one that i wasabout 16 weeks pg with the Mirena still in place!  That is really not a good idea as they don't know what the hormones might do to a foetus and taking them outcan cause miscarriage.  Luckily the failure rate is low - 2 per 1000.

The level of progesterone is about 10% of that in the minipill, so no, it doesn't stop ovulation in most women.  It prevents a lining building and changes cervical mucus and i think to some extent still causes the usual IUD effect of foreign-body-alert which makes the womb and unfriendly place.

We are talking about names already, but have nothing picked out as such.  Do you have name ideas befor you're even PG?  Or isthat just me?

Your garden sounds hard work, but it'll be worth it.  I hesitated to plantthis year because of the tenuous situation (might have to move well before harvest) and i'm no glad of that as t looks lik we will be moving sooner rather than later!

Bec

• 05-12-2009 6:56 AM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Hi Bec,

I really hope this place works out for you! 

I have delicious dreams that I'm pregnant too.  I even dreamed recently that I gave birth very easily to a really big baby boy (we have three boys already and I'd still be happy if we had another boy...I don't know, I don't have that hankering for a girl).   We're still in the waiting phase.  I had that spotting which has been off and on, but nothing the last day and a half.  I'm 9 dpo right now.  I rubbed a little extra progesterone cream into my skin the last few days, and have not been digging in the garden, so maybe that has helped.  We will see in a few days. 

Yes, we always discuss names when we're planning another little one.  We have all J's so far, so we have more J's picked out.  The last time I was pregnant, we couldn't decide on a name, and didn't until about 30 minutes after our little guy was born.  We had to get a good look at him first, and then give him a name.  :-)  He was floating in the pool with me when we named him.  That was a sweet memory.

Well take care.  Keep us posted on your housing and TTC things.

RobsGirl, 31

• 05-26-2009 4:41 AM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Bec,

I took a test the day after I posted the previous post, and guess what?  It was positive!!  All that spotting was implantation.  :-)  I'm a little past 5 weeks right now and doing great.  I was a little stunned and it took a few days to really absorb the news, because I really didn't believe I would conceive this quickly, so I wasn't particularly expecting a positive. 

I'll have to go and start a pregnancy announcement thread now.  :-)

How is the housing situation going?  I think of you often regarding this.  Let us know what's happening.

Take care.

RobsGirl, 31

• 05-27-2009 2:49 AM In reply to

Robsgirl i am so happy for you - i know you've had heartbreak in the past an had fertility worries and it is just so wonderful to read of you falling so easily :)

Yesterday we managed to reserve a new rental.  We move in 2 weeks.  It's an odd situation in that it is a really lovely house on the edge of a not-so-nice area.  For example i wouldn't want to enroll DD at a local nursery there, but might find one a bit further away that i like.

Anyway i am having my mirena removed on Friday, so i am quite excited about it all just now.  I have a few friends who are thinking of ttc later this year too, and also a few who are newly and not-so-newly pregnant.  Babies babies everywhere! :)

Beccy

• 06-12-2009 1:37 AM In reply to

Hi

I decided to join  the  thread. 

To put it clearly into the universe "we are planning a 2010 baby" WOW that is big. I am so emotional i can hardly typeBig Smile

Chamutal

Doula, Fertility Awareness teacher
    Mother of three home birthed, homeschooled children.
  • 06-13-2009 3:59 PM In reply to

Hello Ladies,

My husband and I have been TTC for almost four years(he has known low sperm count).  About two years ago we were going to see a Urologist for help and answers but, he got very upset and everything was put off until this year.  It took us 22 months TC our son who is now almost eight.  We both would like one more(not time enough for a housefull).  He'd like a daughter; I'm ok with either.  We've rescheduled with the Urologist but are not using any formal conception method as of yet.   Mostly, we're trying to be healthy and not stress.  I'm finally almost ok with the fact that we may not get what we want.  We will most likely not try any assisted conception methods; mostly for financial reasons.

I look forward to chatting with all fo you and best of luck to all.

A Woman Journying On The Path To Midwifery
    Filed under:
  • 06-14-2009 11:26 AM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Hi journying,

Again, welcome to the boards.  I'm sorry you're having a hard time getting pregnant.  I remember grappling with the issue in my mind about "what if I don't get what I want?" and I don't think I got to the point where you are of almost accepting that. I applaud you.  That's half the battle right there.  Sound like your focus is great--being healthy and not stressing.  That's so important.

There was an awesome post on the old forums regarding all the attention we put on women preparing nutritionally for conception, but this one focused on how men can prepare nutritionally for having healthy sperm etc.  I seem to remember that avoiding alcohol, tobacco, hot baths, and tight underwear were on the list of things to do at least 3 months before trying, and that selenium and zinc and I can't remember what else were also very important for proper sperm production.  I wish I remembered.  Maybe vitamin E.  I've also heard about Arginine and Cartinine being important for men, but don't know the dosage.  There are some rather pricey supplements out there that claim they help sperm count issues, for what its worth.

I understand not wanting to do fertility treatments.  I was always willing to explore why I might be having trouble conceiving, but not willing to accept most of the conventional treatments.  I wasn't into the whole "factory" feel of it.  I always preferred being in charge of my own health, rather than depending so much on doctors and drugs that are manufactured more for moneymaking reasons.

What I did pursue was acupuncture and chinese herbs.  Its a little expensive but seems to be quite effective, even for men, and is definitely much less than fertility treatments.  It helps the body function more normally by applying a "thumb" as it were to the problem, rather than the sledgehammer of drugs that force the body to pump out different levels of hormones and perform certain functions. 

I've gotten pregnant twice now within two months of a single acupuncture treatment (on myself, my husband had no issues).  Don't know if that's coincidence?  We decided to give it a try on our own for 6 months before pursuing more acupuncture and herbal treatments, and here I am 8 weeks pregnant. 

I wish you all the best.  See you around.

RobsGirl, 31

• 06-14-2009 2:12 PM In reply to

Congratulations RobsGirl!  I might be able to get the vitamins and herbs into my hubby but the accupuncture is a different story.  He's very needle phobic.  I'm going to look into the accupunct.  When we were told he had approx. 1million sperm in 1999, we knew that we did not want to do assisted reproduction methods; nor could we afford it.  If there's nothing that can be done then we'll move on as time goes by.  We'll see what the urologist has to say on July 7th.  We're also trying to get some of his other health problems delt with this summer.  I now his high stress job doesn't help either.

Well, thanks for the reply and I look forward to chatting with you more.  Best of luck during your pregnancy!

A Woman Journying On The Path To Midwifery
  • 06-19-2009 4:53 PM In reply to

Hey all!

I'm not TTC yet, but I'm going to work on DH in the coming months...I have an IUD in place right now, but I really would like another baby...I hope everyone is doing well!

• 06-28-2009 2:38 PM In reply to

I woke up yesterday morning feeling that this time I want it to be different! Without worrying and expecting more of my body, just being positive ad trusting in the process.

My husband is being SO sweet, he has that "Iwant to get you pregnant" look in his eyes. Like a twinkle. I suppose thats what they mean by "When you were but a twinkle in your father's eye"!!! Because he really has it! It is so sweet to see because he wasn't sure about this fourth child thing at all, and now even though he doesn't say much, he is well on the caseBig Smile

Chamutal

Doula, Fertility Awareness teacher
    Mother of three home birthed, homeschooled children.
  • 06-28-2009 3:00 PM In reply to

Yay! I"m happy that he's on your side!

Page 1 of 10 (142 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.