in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Antibodies in Breast Milk

Last post 04-22-2009 8:28 PM by Sleepysheephollowvt. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-22-2009 9:38 AM

• mainah
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-11-2009
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 5

Antibodies in Breast Milk

I've read quite a bit about women making antibodies against envoirnmental viruses, infections etc...This transfers through her milk and defends her baby against these things. My daughter is 4 months old now. My two year old son is on his second cold virus since her birth. The first cold was when she was around 2 months old. I didn't have any symptoms myself but she develop a very small sniffle. (she is completely breastfed). The second cold has just happened. My son of course breaks out with all the sniffles, cough, and runny eyes. This time I have taken the cold myself, my daughter is now four months old and she has got some sniffles and other than that seems perfectly fine. I believe her amazing immunity compared to my son is what my breastmilk is contracting to her.

This may seem a bit strange of a question but let me know what you gals think! My son is two years old and of course weaned. I'm wondering if I know he is exhibiting signs of a cold and I am already making antibodies agasint them if I should pump a little milk and hide it in his milk throughout the days of his cold? Do you think this could boost his immunity towards the cold he has contracted?

Thanks Ladies!

• 04-22-2009 10:35 AM In reply to

Re: Antibodies in Breast Milk

It's certainly not going to hurt but may not help a whole lot either since before you even begin to show symptoms, you are already making the antibodies and giving the baby those through your milk.  That's why you're seeing the symptoms "flicker" across her.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 04-22-2009 5:25 PM In reply to

I say go for it!

Mary

• 04-22-2009 7:03 PM In reply to

• ZoeysMom
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Lincoln, NE
    • Posts 63

I think its a great idea!  Why treat an illness with cookie cutter ultra generic medications when you make the perfect specialized solution yourself :)  

Mandi
  • 04-22-2009 8:28 PM In reply to

Go for it!  I did it with my son.  Lots of people still nurse 2 and 3 year olds, so I don't see a problem giving some to an older child.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.