in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Australia

Pharmacies don't carry Diaphragms?

Last post 04-23-2009 10:25 AM by Brlnbabies. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-21-2009 9:54 AM

Pharmacies don't carry Diaphragms?

I want to quit taking birth control pills so that I can track my fertility in its normal cycle. I asked my GYN for a diaphragm, b/c I felt that was a logical thing to use for birth control. She fit me and wrote me the prescription, but my pharmacy told me that they had thought they were discontinued and could not order them? I was wondering if anyone knew of a reliable place to purchase one w/ a prescription. I believe the prescription said Ortho 70mm. And some places online do not carry that size. At least in the US... UK on the other hand, has a different brand, but the right size.  

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for non-hormonal birth control, and/or any experience in finding a diaphragm.

Thanks!

• 04-21-2009 10:26 AM In reply to

Re: Pharmacies don't carry Diaphragms?

Thoughts:

Go to another pharmacy.

Go back to the doc and tell you you're having a problem.

Ask the pharmacist to call the doctor and get an alternative.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 04-21-2009 10:40 AM In reply to

Went to another pharmacy right after the other one turned me away, waiting to hear back.

If different place can not get it, I will call doc about the issue, have no fear.

(and thank you for your suggestions).

Really, I was spouting off about feeling alienated by the fact that they didn't carry them, and reacted so strangely to begin with. It's not the dark ages, correct?

• 04-21-2009 1:17 PM In reply to

That's strange.  You would think that a pharmacist would say, "Gee, we don't carry those any more because ..." or "They stopped making those" ... but then you'd think your doc would know that, too. You must've felt like you were in The Twilight Zone! Confused

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 04-21-2009 3:43 PM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 476

I know Planned Parenthood carries them at all times.

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 04-23-2009 5:30 AM In reply to

That's the strangest thing I ever heard.  I live in the middle of nowhere, in farm country in the fingerlakes and EVERY pharmacy carries them.  I tell the women that I prescribe for,  that the pharmacy won't carry them, they order them, so call the day before you want to pick them up so it will be there.  By the way, size 70 is THE most common size I fit.  Most women get them at the Walmart pharmacy (that is, if you don't boycott Walmart. )  Joyce 

• 04-23-2009 9:42 AM In reply to

It really was the strangeset thing, and like I said it left me feeling alientated. Needless to say, I'm not going back to our local Jewel pharmacy. My OB/GYN called them lazy pharmacists. Doc called the Walgreens I had also gone too, who said they were on backorder. (I love how the Dr. gets the straight answers, and not the patron.) Then Doc called the manufacturer, who said they were discontinued because they were coming out with a newer version. While Dr. was on the phone with manufacturer, Walgreens calls them back and says it's been taken off of backorder and should be available this week. Weird and complicated, right? 

Well, I have my brand spanking new diaphragm from Walgreens. The Doc helped by calling around. This has been an informative adventure in contraceptives! Now, off to wave it at the pharmicists at Jewel and stick my tongue out at them! 

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. 

• 04-23-2009 10:25 AM In reply to

If they're coming out with a new model, perhaps that's why the original pharmacy didn't have them but only had a cryptic message in their inventory on the computer about it not being available.  The image of you waving your diaphragm at the pharmacists is quite an interesting one indeed!

Susan

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.