in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Hot coffee compresses? Any one know about them?

Last post 08-19-2009 6:51 PM by marlenecpm. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-06-2009 8:08 PM

Hot coffee compresses? Any one know about them?

I was witha first time mum the other day, with a thick,hot, odematous perimeum that had the look of one that was going to tear quite badly.She quite liked hot compresses so i was using them but worried about this perineum.  We had had a german midwife for a wee while working with us and she had mentioned hot coffee compresses, not too strong, not too early, as helpng the tissue to stretch out.  I added a little VERY strong coffee to the water and the mum birthed quick soon after, on a birth stool, with only relatively minor tears.  She is of an ethnic background which i find tend to tear a fair bit and her perineum never really thinned out. I'm wondering if it was th ecoffee that helped her to birth with a reasonably small degree of tissue damage.

So, has anyone used hot coffee?  Does anyone know of any reseach on it?  I'm curious!!

• 04-06-2009 9:03 PM In reply to

Re: Hot coffee compresses? Any one know about them?

I have not heard of coffee compresses but It makes sense that a hot compress would help,don't know about the coffee!  Just currious,what group have you found to tear more easily?  I have seen women with poor nutrition/skin turgor tear,also fearful women who are not well prepared emotionally. 

claudia

Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. - Robert A Heinlein
  • 04-06-2009 9:44 PM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

I know coffee is used for skin care.  Lots of products use coffee.  Coffee eye cream, coffee grounds and milk for a facial mask, but the effects of coffee (primarily the caffeine) are to tighten and firm the skin.  It has vaso constricting properties.  It also has antioxidant properties.

Very interesting that it may have the opposite effect on a tight pernium.,,,

My mom is an esthetician and she uses some coffee treatments for skincare.  I'll ask her what she thinks of this.

When I lived in Costa Rica  women always rinsed their faces in leftover coffee (and also used the old coffee on their floors, mixed it with wax and polished the tile floor)

Mmm, now I want to go do a coffee scrub and facial!!

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 04-06-2009 10:09 PM In reply to

Claudia, I've noted that a lot of our pacific island mums, Tongan, Samoan or Nuiean tend to tear with a first baby, and they often develop incredible stretch marks too, mostly first babies. A lot of our pacific women tend to have fairly defieicent diets, high proportion processed foods, high fat and high salt intake as well.  Also a lot of GDM.   Not all of course, but a good number.

This lass was of Indian descent, and I've had a fair few Indian, Pakistani and Sri Lankan lasses have not huge, but interesting tears.  It may be that they tend to be more fearful, but i am reluctant to make an assumption about a persons psyche based on her ethinicity.  However while I was checking out the coffee connection on line I did glance at an article (from here in fact) that pointed to a link between lack of strectch marks and a lack of tearing.  Perhaps it wasn't the coffee!!

A lot of our pacific women tend to have fairly defieicent diets, high proportion processed foods, high fat and high salt intake as well.  Also a lot of GDM.   Not all of course, but a good number.  The worst tears i have seen have been in pacific women with high salt intakes in thier diets.

• 04-07-2009 2:26 AM In reply to

Quick thought re: coffee - it is duiretic, so is it possible that rather than helping the perineum stretch more it's just reducing the stretch already taken up by the excess fluid in that area by encuraging the body to flush that area?  I have an underactive thyroid and when i'm ill with it my already hooded eyes really puff up (facial edema is very common with hypothyroidism) which is uncomfortable and i have found the pods from my senseo coffee maker make extremely effective puffiness banishers which can last hours.  I wait 15mins after making coffee (to let them cool a little) and pop them on for as long as DD will allow me the peace to do so (30seconds-7minutes on average :))

I have a doula friend who told me women with a lot of edema in her experience seem to tear worse (not necessarily more often, but deeper when they do tear) and she always wondered how much was the diet that made edema worse (salt, not enough protein, junk foods etc.) made tearing worse and how much was the edema itself, a strong symptom of a system under strain, was actually just making the perineum so tight that the baby's head was just finishing a half-done job.

Bec 

Me 32, DH 41, DD 2006, DD 2010, DS 2013
  • 04-07-2009 3:33 AM In reply to

chicken or egg, huh. 

• 04-07-2009 11:10 PM In reply to

• azores
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-30-2009
    • West Coast
    • Posts 121

worstfriend:

Quick thought re: coffee - it is duiretic, so is it possible that rather than helping the perineum stretch more it's just reducing the stretch already taken up by the excess fluid in that area by encuraging the body to flush that area?  I have an underactive thyroid and when i'm ill with it my already hooded eyes really puff up (facial edema is very common with hypothyroidism) which is uncomfortable and i have found the pods from my senseo coffee maker make extremely effective puffiness banishers which can last hours.  I wait 15mins after making coffee (to let them cool a little) and pop them on for as long as DD will allow me the peace to do so (30seconds-7minutes on average :))

I have a doula friend who told me women with a lot of edema in her experience seem to tear worse (not necessarily more often, but deeper when they do tear) and she always wondered how much was the diet that made edema worse (salt, not enough protein, junk foods etc.) made tearing worse and how much was the edema itself, a strong symptom of a system under strain, was actually just making the perineum so tight that the baby's head was just finishing a half-done job.

Bec 

It blows my mind...makes perfect sense.

• 05-27-2009 12:33 AM In reply to

• joi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-22-2009
    • europe
    • Posts 7

hi,

i`m a midwife in austria and we use coffee a lot, it works very well

i allways use coffee when there is time enough - the coffee helps, the warmth helps and i think the smell helps ("our woman" know: baby is coming soon, when we need the coffeee ;-))

love, joi

• 05-28-2009 8:43 AM In reply to

How fascinating!

• 05-30-2009 2:38 PM In reply to

Used it again yesterday on a labouring mum on a birth stool.  Tinest bit of tearing.  Really impressed.  I think a few 'coffee bags' may get put in to my bag of tricks for next time!! 

• 05-30-2009 5:38 PM In reply to

Can you use any coffee? instant? decaf?

Does it have to be strong coffee?

What is it about coffee--what's the secret thing that makes gives it it's anti-tear ability?

Does it matter if it's good coffee or cheapo coffee?

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 05-31-2009 2:05 AM In reply to

• joi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-22-2009
    • europe
    • Posts 7

i tell the parents to prepare strong coffee for the birth, so they choose

in my opinion every strong coffee is okay

i heard some colleagues use coffea-globulis instead, but i like the compresses more

(parents allways smile, when i say: "please, prepare coffee and coke for the birth" because first they think these drinks are for me :-))

• 06-07-2009 10:50 AM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

Meg,

what is a coffee bag? 

I live in Kona coffee country, coffee is a big part of our culture here, I may have to try this.

I got to ask Joi, what is the coke for?

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 06-08-2009 1:17 AM In reply to

I don't actually drink coffee (never developed the taste) so I'm unfamiliar with a lot of the different types and varieties, but I understand that it is possible to buy coffee in a bag like you would have tea.  I figured this would be a more convienient way to transport coffee.  I've used good old bushells instant coffee lately but might branch out to fancy ones!Big Smile

• 06-09-2009 12:04 AM In reply to

i don't know about tear prevention, but I do know coffee can be an amazing instant bleed stopper with wounds. I always keep a little ground coffee (ground beans, not instant) in my 1st aid kit.

I learned this in Mozambique - a man had stepped on a broken bottle hidden in sand on the beach. his foot was shorn open badly and gushing blood - to my trained eye, it looked like it needed several sutures at least. he came hopping over to my house asking for coffee (well, he was shouting for coffee, obviously in pain Wink ) and at first I thought he was crazy to want to drink a coffee when he clearly needed to get to a hospital. Well, someone brought him the bag of ground coffee, and he grabbed a handfull and pressed it onto the wound. within 2 minutes the bleeding was stopped and the wound totally closed. no sutures required!

The result was amazing and I've since tried it one time on a torn perineum (mild tear) with good results.

Jesus was born unassisted!
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.