in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Student midwife question

Last post 04-29-2009 7:16 AM by MotherNurtured. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-02-2009 10:15 AM

• Ranni
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-02-2009
    • Posts 3

Student midwife question

Hello, I am an apprenticing midwife and am wondering if there any others out there who are taking an apprenticship path to becoming a midwife without a formal academic program?  I see quite a bit about AAMI and other programs but am curious if anyone else is pursuing this path to midwifery?
    Ranni

• 04-02-2009 3:52 PM In reply to

Re: Student midwife question

I am taking an apprenticing path. I agree, I don't know many others taking this path. I know the Midwife who delivered me and am hoping she will take me on as an apprentice. :)

• 04-02-2009 6:14 PM In reply to

I have known several people in a few different countries who have taken this path, and interestingly enough, they never really saw it as their chosen mode of learning....it was more that several years down the track and heaps of experience and learning they realised what had sort of happened on its own.  Talk about the momentum of working with birth taking on a life of its own!

• 04-02-2009 6:31 PM In reply to

• Ranni
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-02-2009
    • Posts 3

That is how it has gone for me.  I never intended to become a midwife and now after a few years of spending time with my own midwife and finally deciding to acknowledge the call I had been avoiding I was already a ways down this path.  I do live in a wonderful cowboy state so I don't have any regulations to dictate my course of study so it is possible for me to take this route.  You are so right, working with birth sure does take on a life of its own!  So for those who are also pursuing a direct entry path, do you participate in study groups or work exclusively with your preceptor?

• 04-06-2009 6:01 PM In reply to

I did apprenticeship without a formal school.  I read tons of books and spent lots of time on the internet reading about birth.  Read lots of midwifery journals, obstetrics, everything.  I am very comfortable reading academic and scientific stuff and spent lots of time with those things. In my state you have to know pharmacology and IVs and some other stuff beyond the CPM for licensure.  I participated in a monthly midwife student group for years, did lots of hospital doula births and asked tons of questions to the CNMs and doctors.  I had one preceptor for several years but also assisted several other midwives at births.  I had to take the California Challenge exam in the end because in CA you have to go to an 'approved' school to become licensed.  I think the 'self study' way of going works great along with a long term apprenticeship.

• 04-29-2009 7:16 AM In reply to

blooming9midwife:

I am taking an apprenticing path. I agree, I don't know many others taking this path. I know the Midwife who delivered me and am hoping she will take me on as an apprentice. :)

My preceptor started when she was 16.  Finished HS early but the midwives she knew of said she was too young at first so she took a distance midwifery course and then found a preceptor.  She's still the youngest CPM in the state at 31, but not for long since myself and another apprentice are slightly younger.

I am a CPM in solo home birth practice
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.