in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

"Roomy Pelvis" But a No Go ... ?

Last post 04-05-2009 4:36 AM by worstfriend. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-28-2009 5:18 AM

"Roomy Pelvis" But a No Go ... ?

This came up at a birth yesterday and I heard it before from different attendants and I don't get it.  This last particular "case" (without going into too much private detail) was with someone going for a VBAC at home but needed to go into the hospital after several days of hard labor but no (zip zilch nada) progress.  Anyway, when we got there, the midwife on call exclaimed on how much room there was in this mama's pelvis and thought that maybe she could try laboring a few more hours in the hospital to see what happened.  Nothing changed ever.  Waters stayed inside.  She was examined perhaps 2x at home (at the most) and then 3 x at the hospital by 3 different people.  All 3 hospital personnel said, "What a huge pelvis you have.  It's great for pushing out babies," or something to that effect.  No epidural and no meds.  Mother remained upright or sitting (ball and rocker) or kneeling.  Only during exams did they ask that she lie down.  Baby stayed quite high--two midwives called it -3, obstetrician called it -2.  Baby was 9# 12 oz, was in perfect position.  At the last hour (literally) her temp began creeping up and when baby was born, he was coated in green meconium.  After baby was born but still during the section, the 2 docs remarked again, "What a roomy pelvis you have!"

So if the pelvis is so "roomy" why didn't it have a roommate?   

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 03-28-2009 11:04 AM In reply to

Re: "Roomy Pelvis" But a No Go ... ?

Were the contractions co-ordinated?  I have known one woman who ended up with a section because no matter what she tried (same as you, upright, moving around, i think 57 hours of labour all up) the fundus never tightened more than the lower part of the uterus, thus the cervix was never taken up and the baby never pressed down.  Her second labour, a VBAC, she took very high doses of calcium and ate and drank as long as she could stomach it and had a vaginal birth but did need syntometrine for a PPH (which was relatively small as caught immediately).  I think her uterus just needs a bit more help to do it.

Me 32, DH 41, DD 2006, DD 2010, DS 2013
  • 03-28-2009 7:28 PM In reply to

Contractions were definitely coordinated but mom said they never changed in strength--started very strong and stayed that way.  Her first labor was pitocin-induced and she said that these were "better" than the pit contractions but they were still quite strong.  She described them as almost classic textbook contractions--starting in the back, coming around to the front and tightening all the way down, good strong pulling and tugging in the vagina.  Baby was very wiggly all the way through the labor.  Mom never had any emotional signposts aside from serious when working with her contractions but on either side of them she was her usual chatty self.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 03-29-2009 1:58 PM In reply to

To be honest i wonder about contractions that "started strong and stayed that way".  I've only had one baby so hardly a wealth of experience, but my contractions only didn't start strong in retrospect.  I mean, they were really strong until they got stronger and then i realised they hadn't been that strong at ALL, know what i mean?

I'm pretty sure the person i mentioned FELT her contractions were co-ordinated (or normal in terms of sensations described), but the care providers (a homebirth midwife initially, then after transfer an obstetrician and 2 hospital midwives) came to the conclusion they weren't because they didn't dilate the cervix.  For what it's worth i never felt any sensation except at my cervix, leading my midwife to be convinced i was a) not in labour and b) somewhat dramatic, right up until my daughter's head began to come out.

As for emotional signposts, i'm not sure about that either.  I have had midwives tell me that they relateto dilation (thusno dilation = no signposts) but i hit transition at 25% effaced, 1-2cm dilated (shouting for an epidural, begging for it to stop, saying i was going to have "a normal bloody bath without all this rubbish" (while labouring in the bath)) - i had JUST been given my only VE at this point.  DD was born, despite me roaring rather than pushing for te whole 2nd stage, 2.5hours later.  So for me transition was a true signpost to proximity of birth when my cervix didn't appear to be.

This is all useless info i know, but i'm rather enjoying the discusion! :)

Bec

• 03-29-2009 5:14 PM In reply to

And that's where those emotional signposts come into play.  A cervix can go from 0-60 like a NASCAR driver in one contraction.  Just because someone's cervix is open 1-2 doesn't mean that she can't be in transition or on the cusp.  But back to this mama: we all wondered about the strong contractions that never changed and that's why the midwife (excellent, experience out the ying yang, wonderful woman) sent her in for a repeat cesarean.  However, what's confusing to me is why these babies of hers don't come down into the pelvis if it's supposedly so roomy.  Baby was big but when someone says how roomy it is in there, you wonder why baby didn't drive his truck on thru.  ("You could drive a truck thru that!" is what the assisting MD said.  Not exactly the quaintest or most genteel of expressions during a birth, but the family didn't seem to find that offensive.)

Susan

• 03-31-2009 5:56 PM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

I have no comment on that doctor's comment.  I'm flabergasted. 

Anyway, I'm enjoying this discussion too but don't have anything to add.

RobsGirl, 31
    Wife of one fabulous guy (34)
    Mommy of 3 awesome boys, ages 11, 8, and 4, and a precious 2 year old daughter.

• 03-31-2009 7:07 PM In reply to

I wonder if anyone asked the mom...

"What do you think is holding this baby up?"

I remember one mom... a similar thing was occurring, and I asked her the above question and she verbalized she was afraid she was going to be a bad mom. She had a good cry and labor/birth proceeded.

Ya never know.

Mary

• 03-31-2009 8:51 PM In reply to

Interesting. Mind over matter I guess.

• 04-01-2009 6:20 AM In reply to

Oh, most definitely I did, her homebirth midwife did and several others did including the hospital midwife and the 2 obstetricians. She repeatedly gave the same answer, "He's stuck."  What was really interesting is that her almost-3-yr old came in for a brief visit in the hospital and she patted mom's belly and said without mom prompting or saying anything about stuck, "J.'s stuck mama.  Like Winnie the Pooh in the hole. He needs to be pulled out, you know."  Whoa!

Susan

• 04-01-2009 11:35 AM In reply to

WOWZA!

• 04-01-2009 11:58 AM In reply to

Babies are pretty smart.  Perhaps he knew something about the placenta or cord or his own state of being that wasn't obvious but would have made vaginal birth very dangerous.  I have heard of babies failing to descend despite lots of room and when they're cut out there are obvious cord problems - i.e. a complete knot in an averagely lengthed which would have pulled tight during birth or a shortish cord precariously attached to the placenta.  Maybe with him it was less obvious.

Oddly enough the toddler doesn't susprise me much, mine comes out with absolute crackers!  This morning was her third birthday, and i said to her, when she came to get in bed with her stepdad and i "how is my big girl who's 3 today?" and she said "oh mama, you're 28".  I have NEVER mentioned my age and she has never asked!

• 04-05-2009 4:36 AM In reply to

Yes, i don't mean knots kill, i mean perhaps the baby in my case KNEW the knots were going to be a problem and your son knew his wouldn't?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.