in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Ancient Art Midwifery Institute

Last post 08-10-2009 3:28 PM by calendula. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-16-2009 1:20 PM

Ancient Art Midwifery Institute

I'm really considering attending AAMI. I'd like to hear from current, former and prospective students why you have choosen AAMI above other midwifery schools.

How are you enjoying the course content?
    Are there any required texts or do you just rely on the texts you have?
    What about AAMI do you feel sets it apart then the other midwifery schools?
    How many hours per week do you devote to studies?

Is there anything else you want to share about AAMI?

THANKS!!!

~ Cindy
    Mama to Reed and Jonas, wife to Rodney, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, Midwife-to-be, working on LLL Leader Accreditation, professionally trained baker, coffee addict, lactavist, birth junkie, born and raised in the San Francisco bay area, born-again Christian and attachment parenting mama!
  • 03-18-2009 12:18 PM In reply to

Re: Ancient Art Midwifery Institute

I started with AAMI last summer and I am really enjoying it.  It is very thorough and you learn a lot.  I try to put in at least 10 hours a week, sometimes that is easy, sometimes it is not.  I did need to buy some books and will need to buy more, but they are wonderful books that will benefit me for years to come.  Hope that helps.  Let me know if you have more questions.

Vicki - wife to Chris, mom to eleven, doula and midwifery student.
  • 03-18-2009 9:29 PM In reply to

Vicki, thank you for answering my questions.

What section are you currently in? Did they give you a list of recommend reading? I do have quite a lot of midwifery/pregnancy/birth books already but there are TONS more I want :o)

Do you participate in a midwifery study group locally?

Thanks!

~ Cindy
    Mama to Reed and Jonas, wife to Rodney, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, Midwife-to-be, working on LLL Leader Accreditation, professionally trained baker, coffee addict, lactavist, birth junkie, born and raised in the San Francisco bay area, born-again Christian and attachment parenting mama!
  • 04-02-2009 7:05 AM In reply to

• MamaRabbit
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Bangkok, Thailand
    • Posts 2

I've been with AAMI since Dec. of 2007.  There are a few required texts and a lot of recommended ones.  You can work on any section at any time in any particular order.  I put in about 10 -15 hours a week.  No study groups available where I live so I do a couple online study ones.

AAMI midwifery student, missionary, mother to 4 little ones
  • 04-02-2009 9:56 AM In reply to

How do study groups(in real life) usually work? For a couple weeks I've been thinking calling the HB midwives within a 1-2hr radius and getting the info for their current apprentices or future apprentices so I could start a monthly study group.

~ Cindy
  • 04-30-2009 12:19 PM In reply to

I literally JUST signed up for the AAMI program, as of last evening!  I am SO excited!  It has taken me years to figure out the best path for me, and I feel that AAMI + an apprenticeship is the way to go.

-- "A mystery is a truth which lies beyond us. It can be entered into, explored, inhabited even; but it can never be exhausted or fathomed. Our age dislikes intensely the idea of mystery, because it directly exposes our limitations"
    Filed under: ,
  • 05-21-2009 11:44 PM In reply to

I've not done the program myself, but if I were choosing a distance midwifery program now, it is what I would choose!

• 05-22-2009 9:31 AM In reply to

I enrolled a year and a half ago, I finished the Orientation phase and have only made one submission other than that so far.  I think it's a good education for a great price...

If I was enrolling now, I would be going with NCM just because it's a MEAC-accredited school and not a lot more money.  Many states who are legalizing CPMs are making MEAC a requirement and we're 99% sure that will happen in my state.  Even though I don't agree with that, I would hate to be 3/4 through AAMI and then find out I have to start all over academically if I want to be legal (and I do, I'm a wife and mom too, no interest in being a martyr).  

In fact- someday when I have my CPM, finish AAMI and get my business running well I may go ahead and enroll with NCM to get an ASM, BSM or MSM just for the heck of it.  Maybe.

I am a CPM in solo home birth practice
  • 05-22-2009 9:57 AM In reply to

Thank you so much for your input!!!

~ Cindy
  • 05-24-2009 9:36 PM In reply to

I enrolled with AAMI last year, after a lot of time looking at various options. For me, living in a country without any distance ed courses, and the only DEM courses being a bachelors degree at university (an expense I can't cover and would mean living somewhere I don't want to live for >3 years), AAMI looked like the best option. So far I'm enjoying it and finding it easy. There's a few required books, but not really that many, and loads of recommended books. I've been buying a lot because I don't have much access to libraries, but I think if you've got access to such resources, cost of books could be relatively minimal.

Jesus was born unassisted!
  • 07-24-2009 1:10 PM In reply to

I signed up a couple years ago and do not like it.  I am using some of the materials for self-study but find the structure of the program, and the insistence that it is the BEST program a little silly. I am uncomfortable with some other aspects of the program, mainly transparency and personality.  Many, many people LOVE AAMI, but there are many who do not, though they may not be as vocal online.  Ultimately, choosing a DEM program in this political climate is really challenging, and you do your best.  MEAC is simply not an option for those of us in a/illegal states without a CPM preceptor.  If I could do it again I would just have persued the PEP CPM process without a distance "school".

• 07-24-2009 1:45 PM In reply to

calendula

now that i have signed up i totally agree with you about the transparency and, ahem, personality.  (what's with the high pressure sales pitches?! constantly!!!)  had the setup of the program been more clear at the get go, i would have opted for a different route.

for sure.

-- "A mystery is a truth which lies beyond us. It can be entered into, explored, inhabited even; but it can never be exhausted or fathomed. Our age dislikes intensely the idea of mystery, because it directly exposes our limitations"
  • 07-24-2009 4:53 PM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

Calendula,

I'm not enrolled in any course of study, but I have looked at AAMI.  I also signed up for their midwifery reading room, and I have been quite surprised by the amount of marketing that goes on.  I have been getting vibes that the leadership has a very strong personality.  So I'm not surprised at these comments. 

So what you're saying is that if you would do it over, you would pursue the PEP CPM process, while doing your own studying and apprenticeships, etc, not a particular distance program?  Am I correct?

RobsGirl, 31
    Wife of one fabulous guy (34)
    Mommy of 3 awesome boys, ages 11, 8, and 4, and a precious 2 year old daughter.

• 08-10-2009 3:28 PM In reply to

Yes, you're correct.  Since CPMs have become legal in my state I've watched several traditional midwives sucessfully navigate and complete the PEP process.  Its certainly possible, and really, what I'm doing.  I haven't worked through much of AAMI at all.  I really wish I would have listened to my gut and saved myself several thousand dollars.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.