in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Any Canadians here?

Last post 04-27-2009 2:44 PM by brandy. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-12-2009 11:04 AM

Any Canadians here?

Hello all,

I am a stay at home mom of 3 kids ages 5, 2 & 6 weeks! After the birth of my 3rd child (only birth that was midwife attended) I felt the overwhelming call to become a midwife. Every since I was a child I knew I wanted to work with moms & babies in some form (when I was 3 I decided I wanted to be "a nurse in the maternity ward" lol). My plan so far is to get my doula certification through DONA now and then begin university for midwifery in 2-4 years (it is a 4yr full time course or up to 7 year part time course here in Canada). Well I just thought I'd say hello. It would be nice to connect with other aspiring midwives/doulas and hear your stories, advice etc. Cheers!

-Tanya

• 03-27-2009 8:56 AM In reply to

• shanti
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-04-2009
    • Posts 4

Re: Any Canadians here?

Hello! I am a Canadian student who chose to study through distance with the Midwives College of Utah. I'm at the tail end of my education and am working through PLEA applications now. Just thought I'd say hello.

Are you in a province with a midwifery university program or were you planning on studying through distance. Distance ed worked for me as I was already working full time, had already moved away from home for my first degree and wanted to stay home at this point, since we're settled here in rural Nova Scotia. it worked for me. As I go through the PLEA, I have some regrets about not just going and doing the 4 year degree in Ontario so that i would be able to get working right away. But in the end, this should work for me and I did appreciate not having to uproot my life for 4 years. I don't have kids of my own yet, so I didn't have to balance work, studies and little ones.

Enjoy the doula work - it's always interesting and gets you and your family used to the sudden calls and being out all night, etc. you get used to it and being there at births is always worth the sleeplessness.

good luck, and enjoy all the wonderful information on this forum.

• 03-27-2009 9:47 AM In reply to

Thank you so much for your reply! I had NO idea you could do distance ed through a US program! I am going to send you an email to ask you some more in depth questions if you dont mind. Cheers!

• 04-01-2009 7:36 PM In reply to

• manda
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-02-2009
    • Posts 2

Hey! I'm Canadian. From Winnipeg. I'm actually going to be heading to Toronto this week for my interview for the Midwifery program at Ryerson U. I can't believe I made it to the interview! I'm feeling pretty nervous about the whole thing....I keep worrying about what they'll think of me, but from perusing the forums, I'm thinking I should also consider what the program is like and if it'll be a good fit for me! Wish me luck!

• 04-07-2009 3:07 PM In reply to

wow good luck! let us know how it went! I'm interested to hear what sort of things they ask you during the interview

• 04-07-2009 7:21 PM In reply to

• TracyL
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-08-2009
    • Winnipeg, Manitoba
    • Posts 2

Hey! Im from Winnipeg too. I 'm  planning to take midwifery in the future, Once my son just gets alittle older. Good luck on your interview and keep us updated. Winnipeg needs more midwives :)  Im kinda new to the forum but very excited about it :)

• 04-09-2009 8:07 PM In reply to

• manda
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-02-2009
    • Posts 2

Hey ladies, I'm back from my interview. It went really well. It was way different than I was expecting. They didn't ask a lot of questions about midwifery directly. There were 10 of us interviewed at the same time and we had 10 different one-on-one interviews with faculty, practicing midwives and "consumers" (not sure i like that term...). Basically we had to read a scenario outside the assessors door and when we went in, we had 8 minutes to discuss it. It ended up being kind of fun, in a nerve-wracking sort of way. 

I hear back in a couple of weeks....I'm so nervous!

• 04-10-2009 1:16 PM In reply to

Hi, Tanya.  I'm beginning my final year with the Ryerson program, my youngest child is 2 1/2, and so I understand the balancing act between mothering and midwifery.  I began the program in 2001, like you following the birth of my first child, a midwife-attended homebirth, and have taken time off and actually withdrew in 2005 as my family grew.  The part-time academic part of the Ryerson program is something I'd vouch for, as a way of easing into the commitments of being a student midwife.  And your plans to train and work in labour support will probably be helpful in your application process.  Good luck!

Sabrina

Motorcyclin Midwife
  • 04-13-2009 4:18 PM In reply to

wow kudos to you Sabrina! It's encouraging to hear that it CAN be done. I'm a little bummed right now that I have to redo a couple credits to bring my mark up..I was hoping since I'd already done the work I could just do a challenge type test to bring my mark up but I'm told I cannot..ah well..more work for me! lol

• 04-19-2009 10:00 AM In reply to

• sheila
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • vancouver island, BC
    • Posts 9

Hi, I'm Canadian too (BC).  I'm currently attending a midwifery study group, but I am not sure where I'll go next.  I need to finish high school first Embarrassed unfortunately, and I'd like my kids to be a little older.  It's hard being pulled in two directions and choosing between family and career sometimes.  I'm a doula, but am not actively pursuing clients since my son is so young.  

Sheila - Doula, aspiring Midwife and Mother of 2 little ones
  • 04-21-2009 11:44 AM In reply to

I absolutely know what you mean and how you feel!

ps. we just moved back from out west, we were in Kelowna for a couple years!

• 04-24-2009 12:37 PM In reply to

• brandy
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-24-2009
    • Posts 9

Smile 

I am somewhere in the beginning stages of my midwifery schooling.  I know that sounds odd.  I am currently taking courses thru MCU (Utah) and Athabasca University, however, I am planning to apply to the program in Alberta in another 2 years and hopefully go that route. 

I am in northern Alberta, married and mommy to 5 (two girls - 9 and 6, and three boys - 7, 3, and 9 months).

~Brandy~
  • 04-24-2009 3:40 PM In reply to

Hi Brandy, how are you liking the distance ed through MCU & Athabasca? If you were to do your entire studies at a distance do you know how you would go about doing your placements and clerkship? I'm thinking of possibly going that route since I have 3 small children and I've heard that the uni's in Ontario are fiercly competitive to get into due to a minimal number of available spots.

• 04-25-2009 1:03 PM In reply to

• brandy
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-24-2009
    • Posts 9

Distance education means you have to stay motivated and self-policing.  Nobody is on top of you as they are in a classroom (although my teachers are good at reminding me/encouraging me, etc).

I hope to not do all my education by distance because then I would have to do the bridging program (which I would rather not, it is just easier, I think, to do a Cdn program). 

However, I live in a city without midwives so I will need to travel to get all my work in with a preceptor.  I am told that it is much easier to do this while in a Cdn program vs. a foreign program. 

In either case, in a few years, when I am ready, I will travel to work with a midwife (or midwives) for a chunk of time, I will likely do this more than once.  I am not entirely sure what I will do with my children when I do this but I figure it will all work itself out.

~Brandy~
  • 04-27-2009 7:02 AM In reply to

so it's my understanding then that you can do a good chunk of the program through distance ed and then apply to a canadian program, and if accepted, transfer your distance ed credits to the canadian program? just trying to figure out what is the best route for me to take.. thanks for the help!

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.