in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Australia

Advice re prelabour rupture of membranes please!!!

Last post 06-23-2009 9:28 AM by Brlnbabies. 29 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-11-2009 12:42 PM

• scala
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-11-2009
    • Posts 6

Advice re prelabour rupture of membranes please!!!

Hello all,

So glad to have found this forum, and hope you can offer me some wisdom. I am a midwife practising in the Uk, as is my dear friend whose baby is officially 'due' tomorrow. In the early hours of the morning her membranes ruptured. Clear fluid. She has been leaking all day, and has some mild irregular aches ever since but nothing that has yet established. She is planning a home birth. She is trying nipple stimulation to try and bring contractions on, but do you guys have any other tips or wisdom that you suggest she try,

Local policy is augmentation after just 24 hours which she has declined.

Many thanks in advance, blessings

XxXx

• 03-11-2009 2:52 PM In reply to

Re: Advice re prelabour rupture of membranes please!!!

There are a few things to do. Obviously the protocol can be accepted or declined by the mother, and she needs to keep herself informed and avoid infection at all cost. So no baths, wiping front to back when going to toilet, no intercourse... I reccomend taking Vitamin C 1000mg every three hours as well as taking temperature.

There is a lot that can be done with herbs such as Raspberry leaf tea (drink infusion of the leaves themselves, even 10 cups a day) and essential oil of Clary Sage - this can be massaged into the abdomen and lower back.

Homeopathic remedies can be used in this situation.

The main remedy, and especially when lack of contractions is the only symptom, is Caulophyllum 200c. If there is concern about the position of the baby, or the mother is weepy, wants company and is feeling better outdoors then Pulsatilla 200c should be given. If the mother feels cold, has "stage fright" is tired and slow, and might even feel as if she is coming down with the flu (droopy eyelids sometimes occure) then Gelsemium 200c is your remedy. These remedies all appear in the birth kit from Helios. Six doses should be enough. If you can't get hold of a kit in time, you can buy the remedies in Boots in the 30th potency. in which case you can give them even every half hour.

a good suggestion would also be to have as much non penetrative sex as possible, as orgasm is great for bringing on contractions.

another option is to have an acupuncturist come to the house and give a treatment. very effective.

I hope some of this helps. Do let us know how it goes. If you happen to be in London, I am happy to lend you my birth kit, just send me an email. I am home all day tomorrow.

Chamutal

Doula, Fertility Awareness teacher
    Mother of three home birthed, homeschooled children.
  • 03-11-2009 7:32 PM In reply to

TIME!

Mary

• 03-11-2009 9:15 PM In reply to

Gloria Lemay has a great posting about ROM and slow / no labor. Don't know if you can get into archives.  essential to avoid infection.  NO VE'  Rest and wait. Drink plenty of fluids and eat light nourishing meals. As long as she feels well,has no fever,no bad discharge[clear fluid or even getting tinged with blood is ok]No one stays preg for ever.  The. hosp. proticol  is to protect the hosp and the Dr.if a problem occurs.  There isn't the high risk of infection at home that there would be in the hosp.  All the suggestions about the homeopathic remedies sounds good to me. { I don't know alot about homeapathic ways but I  believe it helps}  One other thing that I have done is to warm castor oil,soak old cloths in the oil and apply them to back and belly.  Repeat as you want.  Take care not to burn her.  Mary said time.  That's probably the most effective.

claudia

Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. - Robert A Heinlein
  • 03-12-2009 12:23 AM In reply to

• scala
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-11-2009
    • Posts 6

Thank you so so much for all of your advice. You are very kind.I have passed on all the tips especially with regards to the homeopthic treatments. Tightenings have been 1;15 all night, so we shall see what happens!

Thank you once again, all your advice is MUCH appreciated!

• 03-12-2009 12:45 PM In reply to

I agree with Mary, just wait. It's not an emergency merely because PrelaborROM have occured without contractions, cntx will come. Just be patient.

70% of women with PROM will give birth within 24 hours. In fact, 90% of the women with PROM will have given birth within 48 hours. Only 2-5% will not have given birth after 72 hours, and that number remains the same even after 7 days.

I agree with a PP; cotton or no underwear, nothing in the vagina, up vitamin C intake, no baths until active labor, good hygiene, etc.

She will be fine and baby will come, they always do :o)

~ Cindy
    Mama to Reed and Jonas, wife to Rodney, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, Midwife-to-be, working on LLL Leader Accreditation, professionally trained baker, coffee addict, lactavist, birth junkie, born and raised in the San Francisco bay area, born-again Christian and attachment parenting mama!
  • 03-13-2009 12:10 AM In reply to

Cali4niachef, where do you get your stats from?  I usually tell mamas that 'about 80% of women will begin active labor by 24 hours'.  Your stats are a bit more specific, I'd love to see the source.

• 03-13-2009 6:41 AM In reply to

I wholeheartedly agree with Mary--TIME.  I know when you are being watched over by an organization, it isn't always that easy, and thankfully your lady has the good sense to decline intervention just because the clock says 24 hours.  What's the difference if a woman's water breaks at 32 weeks and the organization says we can closely observe for days and weeks, but at 40 weeks we have to get the baby born in the magic 24 hours?!  I have done tons of literature searches in medical and lay literature and even the medical people are getting less stringent about the 24 hours.  Look at gentlebirth archives, they have a lot of info.  I tell women that by 24 hours, 85 % of women are in labor, by 48  hours, 95 % and after that less and less women go naturally into labor. I don't recall where I got these numbers and I'm sure they change depending on which research you're looking at.  The most important factor related to infection is putting your fingers where they don't belong.  The first research about PPROM (Premature or "before labor" Prolonged or "more than 12 hours"  Rupture Of the Membranes) showed a very high risk of infection by 24 hours and do you know why?  Way back then, they did vag exams every 2 hours in the hospital!!  Can you imagine the risk?!  I've had 3 or 4 women go up to 60+ hours by the time the baby came and none had infection.  Once you read about how low the risk of infection is, you'll become much more laid back about this--maybe you can share the info with the organization that has the 24-hour protocol.  Joyce

• 03-13-2009 7:36 AM In reply to

Singiningtree here you go! The references are listed at the bottom of the page. The

http://www.birthingnaturally.net/birth/challenges/prom.html

~ Cindy
    Mama to Reed and Jonas, wife to Rodney, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, Midwife-to-be, working on LLL Leader Accreditation, professionally trained baker, coffee addict, lactavist, birth junkie, born and raised in the San Francisco bay area, born-again Christian and attachment parenting mama!
  • 03-13-2009 9:18 AM In reply to

• midwifea
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Kailua Kona, HI
    • Posts 475

The literature is different depending on the source.  The individual mama/babe and how they are doing is the more important factor.  I've waited as long as 3+  days for labor to start after SROM at term.  A good protocol in your own individual practice is what's more important.  Nothing goes in the yoni, support the immune system, be superciliously clean especially after defecating, no public toilets, monitor temp and pulse, monitor babe, drink, drink, drink, rest and implement your labor encouraging therapies.

Blessings,
    April

"The Voice

There is a voice inside of you
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel this is right for me,
    I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What's right for you--just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside."
    — Shel Silverstein
  • 03-14-2009 5:20 AM In reply to

as part of good hygeine, is she doing the chlorhexidine rinses?

I am a CPM in solo home birth practice
  • 03-14-2009 5:49 AM In reply to

I'm glad you brought up chlorhexidine because I don't understand how this doesn't dry out and/or irritate the vagina.  I know what it does to my hands when I use it, so how does this not do the same in the vagina?

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 03-14-2009 7:09 AM In reply to

One mw I work with does a 1:10 ratio of hibiclens to water while the others use it a little more dilute... I haven't heard any complaints about irritated tissues thus far... not to say there haven't, but just not that I have heard.

I am a CPM in solo home birth practice
  • 03-14-2009 10:57 PM In reply to

Seems to me that using any douche[that is what it is regardless if you call it an irrigation]defeats the purpose of nothing in the vagina.  Besides being irritation, which disposes the tissue to infection,but that also rinses the bacteria from the lower vagina closer to the cervix.  I know sometimes one has to do something to satisfy the command post[the hosp.or Dr],but I really think it isn't necessary.  I really wish we could find Gloria's artical about SROM.

claudia

Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. - Robert A Heinlein
  • 03-15-2009 12:54 AM In reply to

So how did things go?  Any news?

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.