in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Australia

Prenatal Vitamins

Last post 03-17-2009 10:22 AM by mybodymyself. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-06-2009 6:44 PM

Prenatal Vitamins

Believe this is the right area to post this.

So, is it alright for non ttc or pregnant or etc to take them or what? Just wonderin because I saw this on another forums. There was an thread on this subject.

Heres the link the only thing that I could found on the topic. Prenatal vitamins: OK for women who aren't pregnant? - MayoClinic.com Basically it was the same as what I read that I read all of the other forums that I have posted it on.  Expect it was sorta right to what I saw on some of the forums that have put it on.
  • 03-06-2009 7:22 PM In reply to

• ZoeysMom
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Lincoln, NE
    • Posts 63

Re: Prenatal Vitamins

I believe that if you make regular choices to eat a variety of foods and maintain an overall healthy lifestyle that, in general, dietary supplements are an unneccessary waste of money.  That being said, I don't see why taking a pre-natal vitamin while not pregnant could be harmful.  Possibly unpleasant from side effects like constipation etc. but that could happen with many of the brands of vitamins available on the market.

It will be interesting to see what everyone else thinks :)

Mandi
  • 03-06-2009 8:57 PM In reply to

Mandi,

Thanx for your response to my thread on this and it helped.  I'm with you on it will be interestin to see what everyone else thinks on this as well.

• 03-06-2009 10:14 PM In reply to

• azores
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-30-2009
    • West Coast
    • Posts 121

I should take them, since I dont eat a varied healthy diet. I dont take vitamins on a regular basis. I should eat better or take vitamins, one day when I have less on my plate so to speak ;)

• 03-07-2009 4:35 AM In reply to

My opinion is that a food-based vitamin or what some call a "natural vitamin" is better for ye olde bod than a synthetically made vitamin.  There's also been a recall in the US on some prenatal vitamins which include:

• Advanced NatalCare Tablets
    • Advanced-RF NatalCare Tablets
    • Cal-Nate Tablets
    • CareNatal DHA Tablets
    • ComBgen Tablets
    • ComBiRxTablets
    • NataCaps Capsules
    • NatalCare Gloss Tablets
    • NatalCare PIC Tablets
    • NatalCare PIC Forte Tablets
    • NatalCare Plus Tablets
    • NatalCare Rx Tablets
    • NatalCare Three Tablets
    • NataTab FA Tablets
    • NataTab RX Tablets
    • NutriNate Chewable Tablets
    • NutriSpire Tablets
    • Prenatal MR 90 FE Tablets
    • Prenatal MTR w/Selinium Tablets
    • Prenatal Rx 1 Tablets
    • Prenatal Z, Advanced Formula Tablets
    • Ultra NatalCare Tablets

The recalled prescription iron supplement products are:

• Anemagen Caplets
    • Anemagen Forte Caplets
    • Conison Capsules
    • Fe-Tinic 150 Forte Capsules

These are all made by the same company--Ethex. (Interesting name)

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 03-07-2009 9:20 AM In reply to

azores and brlnbabies,

Thanx for your responses to my thread on this.  I'm in the same boat as you are azores on this.  Passing along brlnbabies response me to the forums that I belong to that deal  with these issues.

Have decided to go ahead and to buy them.  Getting tired of just being on EPA or whatever its called then multi one.  Hope it works for me.

• 03-07-2009 12:34 PM In reply to

• ZoeysMom
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Lincoln, NE
    • Posts 63

Brlnbabies:
    There's also been a recall in the US on some prenatal vitamins

Thanks for the recall info!!  I would have never known otheriwse!  Is there a good place to regularly check recall information?

Mandi
  • 03-07-2009 2:20 PM In reply to

I get my recall info from several health enewsletters I receive and from different mailings from places like Medscape, etc.  I'm fairly certain that FDA  also keeps recall info on their site, too.

In fact:  http://www.fda.gov/opacom/7alerts.html is the link to find out what's been recalled in the last 60 days.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 03-07-2009 2:31 PM In reply to

Brlnbabies:

I get my recall info from several health enewsletters I receive and from different mailings from places like Medscape, etc.  I'm fairly certain that FDA  also keeps recall info on their site, too.

In fact:  http://www.fda.gov/opacom/7alerts.html is the link to find out what's been recalled in the last 60 days.

brlnbabies,

Same here, but never pay attention to the details of course.

• 03-16-2009 11:19 AM In reply to

I don't recommend prenatal vitamins, but there seems to be this thought that the minute you get pregnant you run out and buy a bottle of PNV and a copy of What to Expect.  No

This idea that you will have a healthier baby by taking PNV is interesting.  Especially since we barely absorb most vitamin supplements.

Food sources are better.

Pamela Hines-Powell
    Midwife
    Salem, Oregon

www.SalemMidwife.com
    www.pamamidwife.com
  • 03-16-2009 1:14 PM In reply to

Pam,

Thanx for your response and its very interestin with what you said on this.  By the way whats PNV mean anyway?

• 03-16-2009 2:46 PM In reply to

Pam wrote: "I don't recommend prenatal vitamins, but there seems to be this thought that the minute you get pregnant you run out and buy a bottle of PNV and a copy of What to Expect."  This is EXACTLY what I tell my students and clients all the time.  It's like a rite of passage or something. In fact, I remember an article in (I think) the ICEA journal which reported on the results of a survey of pregnant women and the number one reason women gave for seeking prenatal care was to get those dang prenatal vitamins.  Not to find out about pregnancy or options.  I thought it would be "to get an ultrasound" or "confirm my due date" or something along those lines, but it was the prenatal vitamins!!

(PNV = prenatal vitamins)

Susan

• 03-16-2009 3:47 PM In reply to

brlnbabies,

Thanx for your latest response to my thread here.  Silly me on forgetting PNV stands for.

• 03-16-2009 9:09 PM In reply to

What would be the benefit of taking PNV when you're not pregnant? And what is the difference between PNV and regular multi-vitamins?

• 03-16-2009 9:46 PM In reply to

The only thing I can think of that might be of value is increase in folic acid.  So drink a glass of orange juice daily if you are planning a preg.  The PNV may have too much iron and calcium.  Calcium needs to be taken with magnesium anyway.  So increase dairy.  Feso4 doesn't do a lot of good because it is not a naturally occuring substance.[I think having constipated black stools should happen to someone else]  Increase protein,vegs and fruits,whole grains.  And Icecream.  Chocolate is surely theraputic.   For the ickie mickie group,maybe they should take a PNV.  As for taking it while not preg,it is a fairly good vit tab. as vit. go.  Dispense at ickie mickie's

claudia

Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. - Robert A Heinlein
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.