in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Australia

What is a "self study"? and how?

Last post 08-03-2010 12:16 AM by NorCalRN. 20 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-22-2009 10:42 AM In reply to

Re: What is a "self study"? and how?

I also recommend going online and checking out National College of Midwifery's reading list.  It think its still available for anyone to see.

Best,

• 04-17-2010 7:49 AM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

I wanted to resurrect this thread after a year of no activity.  I got distracted in a wonderful way by becoming pregnant again.  I had to focus on being a healthy pregnant mommy (which was a bit more of a struggle this time) rather than studying.  I birthed my baby in January and I have midwifery on my brain again (I've been sitting on this "call" for 5 years now).  Strangely, the lifestyle of a midwife doesn't appeal to me at this point.  My life in the home is so full and busy to the point where I feel anxious if I'm away from home for long.  I'm sure its because in the back of my head, I know the laundry, meal plans, homeschooling and gardening tasks will pile up and be waiting for me when I get back.  :-)  My husband reminded me that after a few years or so it will get easier.  So in the meantime, while I'm busy at home, I want to read and study.  I've just now ordered alot of books on midwifery, including some of the texts you all mentioned earlier at thrift sites and I intend to start reading as I get a little time here and there.  I got a slightly dated (1999) Myles textbook for a great price along with loads of other books that were on some of the midwifery school reading lists.  Lots of them were very cheap.  I was so happy to find that.

I'm still interested in more ideas on documenting my studies: protocols, handouts, book reports, notes.  I've got that.  I'm just wondering if anyone has a nice format they could share for doing book reports on some of the non-text books.  Any other ideas would be awesome.

Can I print out the NARM "active participation" form and start documenting births now even though I'm probably 5 years or so away from applying for a PEP?  I couldn't seem to find a time frame for the active participation section.

RobsGirl, 31
    Wife of one fabulous guy (34)
    Mommy of 3 awesome boys, ages 11, 8, and 4, and a precious 2 year old daughter.

• 04-21-2010 7:40 PM In reply to

I'm so glad you did bring it back!  I'm currently looking into ways of becoming a midwife without getting a nursing degree, and this has been a world of help to me.  Now I can start taking the first steps.  :)

Thank you to everyone who has suggested reading materials and methods!

• 05-02-2010 8:08 PM In reply to

Reading this thread with interest...

I just took the DONA Birth Doula training in March. I am a homeschooling mom with four children, and want to be a midwife when I "grow up." Luckily, we started our family earlier than most and my youngest will be 18 when I'm 41. I'm planning to make my way into midwifery more seriously in the next 8-10 years, when all of my children are old enough to be home without childcare.

Apprentice Midwife.
    Homeschooling mom of four with another on the way.
  • 05-03-2010 6:18 PM In reply to

Serach some homeschool website or just google homeschool protfolios. there are some college bound teens out there with real creative approaches to chronicling their journey and knowledge base.

The NARM paclket might also provide a favorable format for documenting your hands on experiences.

I also find that Vanderbilt University application for advance practice nursing and midwifery ask some really neat reflective questions that require essay type answers. These sort of questions might also be great ways to segment your studies from a standpoint of what is midwifery, why are you passionate, who will you serve and why etc...

The format/ workbooks of many CBE class give a good intro format for studies, as a midwife you would just expand upon the topical outilines and add more details.

Consider looking at the CV format used by academics. Use the heading they use to document course, workshops, units of study artifcles you have written even if only for free press etc...

Lastly consider using a digital format to inlcud pics of thsie you study with, coah or even attend in birth even if only observing, Get quotes from everyone regarding how you helped them or how evident your passion is for the field.

GOOD LUCK on the journey

• 08-03-2010 12:16 AM In reply to

• NorCalRN
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-02-2010
    • Northern California
    • Posts 5

I don't have any books to add to this amazing list- but wanted to also say Thanks to everyone who has contributed to it!

I would like to say that all through Nursing school- I used the typical Outline format for all my note-taking: heading, sub-heading-topics, details, etc...  I think this would be a great way to chronicle your studying in a way that you will be able to easily add to, understand your own thoughts well after writing your notes, and an easy way to organize as well.  This method makes it easy to highlight and categorize information.  I even took notes this way during lecture- and my use of indentations and sub-headings made it REALLY easy to find a topic or note that was crucial to test-taking or committing things to memory.  

Anyways, best of luck to you in your journey!! :)

There is in every true woman's heart, a spark of heavenly fire which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity, but which kindles up and beams and blazes in the dark hours of adversity. ~ Washington Irving
Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.