in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Australia

Dopplers, again...

Last post 03-08-2009 9:59 AM by MotherNurtured. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-03-2009 7:01 AM

Dopplers, again...

I posted about finding used dopplers, and thanks to everyone who responded, it really really helped!

Now that I've tapped into the world of relatively inexpensive dopplers - I need some advice.  There are so many brands.  The one I've found on Ebay is a SonoTrax Pro for a decent price.  There are a couple more out there too - but I guess my question is - Are there any brands that you've tried and didn't like?  Brands to stay away from because of low quality?  Favorite dopplers, and for what reason?

Thanks very very much in advance.  Novice here who wants to research before buying.

Smile

mother to a shining precious one
    and beginning my midwifery apprenticeship in March!
  • 03-03-2009 1:22 PM In reply to

Re: Dopplers, again...

When I first started working with J, I bought one of the Sonotrax.  It's okay, but I wasn't too impressed with the volume as it didn't get all that loud IMO so I exchanged it for a Huntleigh and have been happy with it.  J always buys the Nicolet dopplers... I like the probe in a lot of ways- it's shorter and wider and has a broad beam which can make finding FHT a little easier.  Otoh, I tend to end up with gel on my hands more often (I find gel annoyingly sticky).

One of the reasons I ultimately went with the Huntleigh is because the probe clicks into the side of the doppler so is protected when not in use whereas the Nicolet doppler head is exposed all of the time. 

A sonotrax is certainly a good starter doppler, you could try out the other midwives' dopplers and get a feel for what you like before you spend more.  Have fun shopping!

eta: I see a lot of other brands on eBay now... I don't really know much about them.  I've only ever used the Nicolet, Huntleigh, Sonotrax and LifeDop.

I am a CPM in solo home birth practice
  • 03-03-2009 2:42 PM In reply to

I have a Hadeco, or something like that.  Not as expensive as a Huntleigh but the probe clicks on to the side.  It just doesn't feel as nice as the Huntleigh ones and it's not waterproof.  My fantsy doppler is the Huntleigh waterproof doppler.  I just like them, they go nice and loud for thsoe moments you need them too, they have a nice sturdy feel to them and they are a quality product.  i'm starting to sound like i should be on commission..!!

• 03-03-2009 9:49 PM In reply to

I have a Huntleigh with a waterproof probe and I love it. It has a nice sound, no static, no squealing, etc. I have used a Nicolet Elite as well and it is perfectly fine. I have used a sonotrax with the green probe and it worked ok.... more static and stuff, but not horrible for a cheap doppler.

I have used a few that I hated, one looked like a Nicolet and had been sold on ebay a lot about 2 years ago. I can't remember the name brand, but it was all over ebay. Anyhow, I used one of those once and it was horrible. The volume was lousey, there was tons of static, and overall just didn't pick up hearttones easily or nicely (even fullterm, big babies).

just a mom and a midwife
  • 03-08-2009 8:10 AM In reply to

thanks everyone again!

i ended up getting a package of a whole bunch of stuff from a retiring midwife in MA and it included an Imex PocketDop which I have heard good things about, i think...

hopefully it will do me well and if not, your suggestions with come in handy.

thanks again!

mother to a shining precious one
    and beginning my midwifery apprenticeship in March!
  • 03-08-2009 9:59 AM In reply to

Sounds great!  :)  I have heard good things about the PocketDop as well. 

I am a CPM in solo home birth practice
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.