in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

For doula's

Last post 04-21-2009 4:09 PM by cali4niachef. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-01-2009 8:30 PM

For doula's

How many births a month is TOO many??

Just curious, I personally have a limit, but wondered what you all thought?

Thanks,

Mary

• 03-02-2009 7:37 AM In reply to

Re: For doula's

For me, my limit is 1/mo because of my daughter still being in training (track/field).  When she goes to college, I'll probably do take 2/month.  My age comes into play and also the fact that I don't have backup right now.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 03-02-2009 7:50 AM In reply to

Thank you!

This question stems from something I read on a Facebook doula discussion where a new doula wants two a WEEK..I thought she was crazy.

I reminded her that having 8 moms due in one month did not include those women who already delivered and those up and coming moms. So easily, you could be working with 24 or more women...that's too many IMO

Mary

• 03-02-2009 12:06 PM In reply to

• Jenni
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-05-2009
    • Baltimore, MD
    • Posts 22

My limit is 3/month. I don't have kids or a day job, though.

I guess the doula on Facebook could swing 2/week if she worked for a hospital doula program.

doula-in-training, aspiring midwife
  • 03-02-2009 12:34 PM In reply to

Yes, she certainly COULD do 2/week in a hospital based program, great point.

She is not in one though, and I'm not sure she even has a back-up.

2-3 a month steady is good, but have had more before (6-8)...sporadically. However, my partners and I found the pace of that many month after month too much.

Mary

• 03-02-2009 8:22 PM In reply to

I liked having 3 births a month when I was only doing doula work and now as a midwife I still think 3 a month is plenty.  There are, of course, months that are a little busier and months that are a little slower but I can't imagine regularly doing 2 births a week.  If I spend 12+ hours at a birth I am going to have to take most of the next day to recover and do a postpartum visit so two days of my week are already gone so if I did two births a week and a prenatal day (if I'm taking two clients a week I should have more than enough prenatal visits to do to fill up an entire day even if I only do 2 or 3 prenatals for each client) that is five full days each week without time for returning phone calls, answering emails, or spending time with my family.  I think many (including me) don't realize how demanding birth wrok can be and overextend themselves in the beginning.  It takes some of us a little while to figure out the work/family balance but ultimately we have to find a balance or we just burn out.

• 03-02-2009 8:50 PM In reply to

I completely agree, I got the impression she was very new..and maybe had yet even done a birth. 

• 03-02-2009 9:03 PM In reply to

as a busy doula (doula work only) I liked 5/month...it was steady and not too crazy. I have two young girls and a supportive husband and family.

Kim Trower, DEM
    Mother to Mother Midwifery Care
  • 03-02-2009 11:02 PM In reply to

In reference to the one looking to attend two a week, I can only see it working in a hospital program. Otherwise, I think it could be a nightmare of missing births and trying to contact your backup doula - they would just be too close together, IMHO!

Personally, I like to space my clients' due dates out by about two weeks either side, so about one a month or so. This makes it extremely unlikely for me to have two clients in labor at the same time, and gives me some breathing room since my children are small. I might do more when they're older.

Tara

Mommy to two wonderful girls (10/01 &12/03) and a sweet boy (12/08)
    CBE and birth doula
    Excuse typos as I nurse at the keyboard!
  • 03-03-2009 12:04 AM In reply to

I think the most I ever did was 5 in a month and it was do-able, but that was pre-kids and I worked at home in a very flexible job.

I attended 6 births in a month as a midwife once though and that just about killed me.

• 03-04-2009 6:28 AM In reply to

I'm comfortable with 4 a month, and would like to build up a steady stream around that pace (right now my client base ranges from 1-4/mo). BUT, when I was doing 4 a month (plus CBE) I was definitely busy all the time, 8 would be a huge stretch to really give quality,personal service. Some of my folks take a lot of time and energy leading up to their birth.

mom of two boys
    doula, natural childbirth instructor, birth activist

mulling my next steps in the birth world!
  • 03-04-2009 7:01 AM In reply to

I agree that 8 would be a huge stretch, when I have 4-7 a month...I DO feel the quality of care goes down...and I do not like that.

Mary

• 03-25-2009 5:19 PM In reply to

Yikes, I did three this month and am happy to have a few weeks until being on call again.

I had one client go a week over from Feb and two clients due on 3/28 go at 37 and 38 weeks. I almost had a third client, but she lost her baby :( But I think that might have ended up being too much for me.

Next month I will have 2-3 again, depending on when they all go. Only one is actually due in April, the other two are due on May 11. Then I will be done until September, ideally, but will not turn any births down if I am contacted in between.

So after all that, my personal limit is 2-3 per month... probably closer to 2 with a random 3 in there occasionally.

Peace,
    Vanessa

Hypnobabies Instructor, Doula and student of massage and hypno therapies
  • 03-27-2009 12:47 PM In reply to

Yes, Vanessa

I find my doula work ebbs and flows...like labor.

It seems when it rains it pours...I hate turning ladies away if I'm booked. My doula partners and I once had 30 moms in 12 weeks.....it was way too much for us all.

2-3 a month..is about perfect..but I also like having a few months here and there free to travel or focus on my kids.

Mary

• 04-21-2009 4:09 PM In reply to

I'm a new doula and will have my first birth in July. I can't imagine doing more then 2 a month. I'm a SAHM to two young boys and my DH works a FT and a PT job. Plus I will be partnering up with another woman to have a "doula team".

~ Cindy
    Mama to Reed and Jonas, wife to Rodney, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, Midwife-to-be, working on LLL Leader Accreditation, professionally trained baker, coffee addict, lactavist, birth junkie, born and raised in the San Francisco bay area, born-again Christian and attachment parenting mama!
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.