in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Diva Cup

Last post 03-10-2011 9:03 AM by midwifea. 31 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-21-2009 7:35 AM

Diva Cup

Does anyone have any experience with these? 

Vicki - wife to Chris, mom to eleven, doula and midwifery student.
    Filed under: ,
  • 02-21-2009 3:59 PM In reply to

Re: Diva Cup

I have a diva cup and I LOVE it!  I wish I had bought one years ago.  Sometimes when my flow is very heavy I need to use tampons for a day, but the rest of the time is great and I don't have any leakage problems at all.  Easy to insert and remove, easy to clean.  I also find it interesting to see what it's really like instead of soaked up in a tampon!  that might just be me :-)

I have been telling all my friends about it.  the 30 bucks pays for itself in a couple months!

Hope that helps!

mother to a shining precious one
    and beginning my midwifery apprenticeship in March!
  • 02-21-2009 6:02 PM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

I have and love it as well.  I found it at the link below for a great price.  This place also carries the mooncup which is the silicone version of the "keeper" (slightly shorter than the diva.  It is great, saves a lot on pads, and makes that time of the month cleaner and less "yuk".  I find its best to let myself "breath" by using cloth pads overnight (unless I'm really heavy) without the diva.

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/searchResult?s=&criteria=&keyword=diva+cup

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/searchResult?s=&criteria=&keyword=moon+cup

Hope that helps.

Robsgirl

RobsGirl, 31
    Wife of one fabulous guy (34)
    Mommy of 3 awesome boys, ages 11, 8, and 4, and a precious 2 year old daughter.

• 02-21-2009 7:17 PM In reply to

• ZoeysMom
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Lincoln, NE
    • Posts 63

I also have a Diva Cup and probably am its' biggest fan!!  I have no problems with leaking (even at night which has alwasy been a problem for me!) and really love it on my heavy flow days... no pads to leak, no TSS from tampons :).  The directions that came with it were extremely easy to follow too!  I've used washable menstrual pads since I started having a cycle and the Diva Cup makes a great companion!

Mandi
  • 02-22-2009 3:54 PM In reply to

Okay, here's the deal:  I have a Diva Cup.  And, I like it, sort of.  It works well for the first 12 hours or so and then it is like it pulls my cervix down and pretty soon the cup isn't staying up there any more.  My cervix ends up all swollen.  (Though it doesn't hurt.)   Maybe my cervix is too low to start with and the cup just irritates it.  If I don't wear the cup, my cervix stays in its normal place.   I am wondering if one of the other menstural cups might work better for me.  I feel like maybe something wider and shorter would help more? 

Vicki - wife to Chris, mom to eleven, doula and midwifery student.
  • 02-22-2009 4:22 PM In reply to

Oh dear!  That sounds very uncomfortable.  The cup shouldn't be anywhere near your cervix unless yours is very low - it is supposed to be worn at the entrance to the vagina, not all the way in.  I use mine so that I can feel the little nub about a half a fingertip in.  hope that helps you a bit!

mother to a shining precious one
    and beginning my midwifery apprenticeship in March!
  • 02-22-2009 4:29 PM In reply to

• ZoeysMom
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Lincoln, NE
    • Posts 63

momofmany:
    and then it is like it pulls my cervix down and pretty soon the cup isn't staying up there any more.  My cervix ends up all swollen

Agreed, it's definitely not supposed to be anywhere near your cervix (although there are sevral other cups/cup like products that are designed to fit right against your cervix).  I place mine so the nub is litterally even with the opening of my vagina, but I'm sure it's different for everyone :)  Since we're not all the same!

Mandi
  • 02-22-2009 5:01 PM In reply to

I use the UK made Mooncup... it's slightly shorter than the DivaCup and works better for me since the DivaCup would sit against my cervix at the top with the bottom stem rubbing my perineum. I think I put dimensions on the webpage I made about menstrual cups years ago. http://www.busybusymomma.com/MC.html I love mine!

I am a CPM in solo home birth practice
  • 02-23-2009 2:56 PM In reply to

MotherNurtured,

Where did you purchase your Mooncup? I saw your webiste and was thinking that the Mooncup might be a better fit for me- I have a Diva Cup but I find that it will only rest comfortably when it is placed high like a tampon (which I know is not where it was supposed to go and is difficult to remove). Any ideas? The official Mooncup website says they don't ship to the USA.

Thanks!

• 02-23-2009 3:15 PM In reply to

• RobsGirl
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    • Posts 364

I posted a link in one of my above posts where they sell the mooncup.  I think its $23 plus shipping.

...oh, I just realized, it didn't come up as a link.  You'll have to cut and paste into your browser.

EDIT:   I also just now realized that there is a difference between the UK mooncup and the US mooncup.  So disregard.  The one for sale at the link I gave is the US version.  If you're looking for the UK version, you can't get that one shipped to the US.  Canada, yes, US, no.

RobsGirl, 31
    Wife of one fabulous guy (34)
    Mommy of 3 awesome boys, ages 11, 8, and 4, and a precious 2 year old daughter.

• 02-23-2009 3:42 PM In reply to

That's ok. I was able to get one via Ebay. Thanks for your website to talk about the different types; I found it very helpful!

• 02-23-2009 4:02 PM In reply to

Wow, the UK Mooncup not being shipped to the US is a new development as far as I know... I'm upset because mine is several years old and I was going to order a new one.  :(  Shoot.  Sad

• 02-23-2009 7:14 PM In reply to

• ZoeysMom
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Lincoln, NE
    • Posts 63

the UK mooncup is marketed in the US as the Keeper.  I belive after doing some checking that they are the same.  The Keeper traditionally comes made of rubber, but now also has a silicone version available.  Hope that hekps someone!

Mandi
  • 02-23-2009 7:15 PM In reply to

• ZoeysMom
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2009
    • Lincoln, NE
    • Posts 63

ugh... lol nursing at the keyboard

* believe

**helps

LOL!!!!!!!

Mandi
  • 02-23-2009 7:34 PM In reply to

ZoeysMom:

the UK mooncup is marketed in the US as the Keeper.  I belive after doing some checking that they are the same.  The Keeper traditionally comes made of rubber, but now also has a silicone version available.  Hope that hekps someone!

I actually bought a Keeper Moon Cup last year and it's very much like the Mooncup made in UK but not totally the same.  I didn't like it quite as well- it seemed to get suctioned to my cervix too easily (the silicone was softer and the airholes that help with suction weren't punched through completely, I tried to finish the job with a needle).  I guess if I can't get a UK cup I'll try the finnish cup next time...

Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.