in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Sterilization pouch questions

Last post 06-02-2013 2:03 PM by MidwifeHeart. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-02-2013 2:03 PM

Sterilization pouch questions

My questions are regarding sterilization pouches such as in the image below.

I would appreciate your opinions and if you know of any resources I can access to research this more.

I had to run to a birth before my suture kit had time to air dry after it went through the autoclave. Due to the pouch being a little wet, the seal opened on one small corner during transport. The instruments were untouched.

1. Would you consider the instruments unusable or unclean?

2. If still usable, how long after the pack is opened in this way would the instruments still be clean enough to use?

3. Would it make a difference if it were a birth kit containing hemostats, cord scissors and a cord clamp, or a suture kit?

In my opinion the instruments would still be clean although not sterile and therefore I would have used them for clamping and cutting a cord etc., had it been a birth kit that opened, but I would not have used the instruments if I needed a sterile field for suturing. The scenario started a raging debate whether the instruments were still clean or not and I'd like to be able to put it to rest.

Thank you for any advice you can give.

I am woman, mother, midwife giving birth to myself
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.