in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Water VBAC

Last post 05-20-2013 12:42 AM by Bechlors45. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-16-2013 1:43 PM

Water VBAC

Hi, I am new to the site and not a midwife (I hope this doesn't matter) but want to be one in about 10 years time because I am passionate about pregnancy, birth and babies. I had an all natural and calm hospital water birth in 2010 for number 1 and wanted that again in 2012 but due to having twins in the breech and transverse position, I disapointingly had to have a caesarian. 

We still want one more baby and I know that continous monitorring for VBACs is hospital policy which makes VBACing in the water not possible in most places and I think this should change. Even just labouring in the water if possible would be of great benifit.

What I am hoping to learn from some people with more knowledge than those not in the profession is;

How important really is continuous monitorring to prevent rare unterine rupture and is it really neccesary or is intermitant enough? Are the hospitals being over careful or are they practising the best policy? From what I have found out so far, it seems there is nothing wrong with water birth itself for VBACs and that they might even be beneficial for the scar. I want to minimise chances of repeat caesarian and know this would be the easiest way for some. Also constant monitorring really is needed, then why is there not more waterproof equipment available? I assume it is expensive.

Thanks in advance, I am passionate about natural birth and thought, why not start to change things with my own birth before I become a midwife.

• 04-17-2013 7:21 AM In reply to

Re: Water VBAC

Welcome, Mum2singletonandtwinboys!  No, you don't have to be a midwife to post on our forums. :)  I hope you get an answer to your question soon. I am going to leave this to the midwives here to answer this.  I know in my little corner of the world (western North Carolina, US), it's fine for VBAC'ing mamas to use the water for labor.  The hospital uses remote monitoring so there's no electricity involved (yikes!) and there are underwater dopples available that homebirth attendants use.  (Our hospital uses underwater dopplers, too, but only for those who they feel do not need constant monitoring.)

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 04-22-2013 5:20 AM In reply to

• PamUdy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-22-2013
    • Utah, USA
    • Posts 1

I'd look for a supportive careprovider. Ask the hospital which Certified Nurse Midwives and OBs do deliveries in the water, then make an appointment to talk with them. Homebirth midwives are far more open to waterbirths and you can certainly consider them.

Continuous monitoring doesn't prevent uterine rupture. It only detects it. Whether you have continous or intermitant monitoring will depend on your comfort level- as well as the comfort level of your careprovider. Some are going to be more open than others to intermitant monitoring. That is something I suggest you talk about with them, long before labor.

I'm not a midwife, but I have worked closely with vbac moms (I'm a 3vba2c mom myself) for the last 14 years.

Good luck!

Pam Udy

Pam Udy
    3vba2c mama
    circlesoftime.com
  • 05-20-2013 12:42 AM In reply to

Sometimes even I can’t believe that I really had a non-medicated, in-hospital, water birth VBAC.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.