in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Questions about midwifery from an aspiring student!

Last post 04-09-2013 5:01 PM by romanovs_rule. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-09-2013 5:01 PM

Questions about midwifery from an aspiring student!

Hello! 

My name is Kathryn, and I'm an aspiring midwifery student. For the last year or so, I've been reading all of the materials I've been able to find on midwifery and am now planning pursuing midwifery training. Before embarking on a course of study, however, I have a number of questions I'd love to pose to seasoned midwives, and if any of you have the time to answer some or all of them, I would be so much obliged. 

Thank you! Big Smile

(1) Knowing what you now know, would you encourage someone to pursue midwifery?

(2) In your opinion, what's the best way to become educated/trained in midwifery? (for instance, nurse-midwifery programs, direct-entry programs, apprenticeships, etc.) And, what would you say are the best first steps for an aspiring midwife? For example, would you recommend first acquiring doula training and certification? 

(3) I'm often asked how squeamish I am, and the truth is, I'm not entirely sure, because there've not been many times that I've been exposed to considerable blood loss. To what extent have you find that squeamishness is something a person is able to overcome, and to what extent should that kind of tolerance be innate?

(4) How do you adjust to the pace of midwifery (ie, the unusual sleep schedule)? How stressful would you describe midwifery work as being?

(5) Where do you learn about and how do you handle the business side of midwifery? For instance, where/how do you find and attract a client base?

(6) How feasible have you found it to make a livable income as a midwife? 

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.