in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Adoptive Breastfeeding

Last post 02-20-2009 9:45 PM by Doula Mary. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-19-2009 7:47 PM

Adoptive Breastfeeding

Wise ones,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience assisting a new adoptive mother to breastfeed?

The birth mother will be nursing while in the hospital and hopefully, pumping for a bit of time. I just connected with this mom who is due in a few weeks...so the adoptive mom has little time to prepare.

Adoptive mom will be seen at our lactation center ASAP, but I'm curious how to orchestrate each mother nursing while in the hospital.

Any ideas/input would be greatly appreciated.

Mary

• 02-19-2009 11:19 PM In reply to

Re: Adoptive Breastfeeding

Hi Mary,  I've done this.  The birth was at home.  Birthing woman had a hx of pph so it was imp that she nurse the baby to prevent bleeding.  Adopting mother "caught" the baby---that was lovely.  Both women were naked together in the water tub with baby between them, adopting Dad looking on.  Once the birthing woman had had a couple of hours of "baby velcroed to skin" time, the adopting woman took the baby into the next room in her robe and put the baby to breast (sitting in rocking chair). 

There was about a 6 hour period of both families being together and then the adopting parents took the little girl home.  The adopting woman had already had one adopted baby and had breastfed fully.  We had started with a Lactaid (is that the right term for those bottles that you hang around your neck with the tubing that goes to the nipple?).  It's interesting because the woman who birthed in this scenario had supplied breast milk for the adopting couples' first adopted child a few years earlier.  For various reasons, she relinquished her second baby for this adoption.  She pumped her breasts and the adopting father drove daily to pick up her breast milk for the new baby.  I think the birthing mother pumped for about a month and then the adopting mother was able to meet all the baby's needs. 

There is a wonderful online resource that is fully archived and searchable that I discovered recently.  It's called Lactnet and is a mailing list for some very talented lactation consultants.  To see their archives and search go to: 

http://community.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html

you don't have to be a member to search.

Gloria

http://www.glorialemay.com/blog
  • 02-20-2009 6:01 AM In reply to

WOW Gloria, what an experience for you all...lovely so lovely! I wish "my family" had a Midwife like you, they have one of ~THE~ worst Dr's I can think of. I think baby will stay with mom the whole time mom is in the hospital.

So perhaps, birth mom can BF for a time, and then adoptive mom can...in another room?

I'm encouraging birth mom to pump and donate her milk for awhile, as that is a true gift. I only spoke to the adoptive mother for the first time last night, but she was just thrilled that BF is a option but we have little time to prepare.

Question, so your adoptive mom brought in a full supply? I heard it is quite rare, but not impossible, do you remember what she did to prepare or did she just start nursing?

Thanks for the heads up about Lactnet, I have been a member on there for 11 years...so much info.

Thanks for replying Gloria,

Mary

• 02-20-2009 7:37 AM In reply to

Hello,

I'm Shelley, mom to six and aspiring midwife. Two of my childre are adopted and the plan was to breastfeed my then 8.5 mo korean born daughter. SHe came home with thrush, I had to wait and then 10 days after we returned from Korea, found out I was expecting boy #4. I didn't end up breastfeeding her, but found a wonderful resource while waiting for her to come home. Not sure it's still out there, but it's called The adoptive breastfeeding resource website.  The web address is, www.fourfriends.com/abrw   I just checked it out and it is still there. I had a hospital breastpump and was pumping a few times a day, starting about a month before we planned to travel.  Hope this info helps, it was a wonderful resource for me. Shelley

• 02-20-2009 2:24 PM In reply to

Just a heads up, in a hospital situation (and you mentioned that the doc isn't that great), you may encounter personnel who discourage the bio mom from nursing.  They are afraid that the bio mom will become too attached emtionally or that it will become to much of an emotioally charged situation between the two mothers with the baby between them. So you may have to work hard to get the ideal situation for baby.

Even if the adopting mom can't induce lactation or if there isn't enough milk, the SNS ("Lactaid" is one brand) works well for many many women, including those who have milk supply issues with their biological children.  This way the adopting mom gets the skin to skin closeness.  The Lactaid folks will overnight the product so it can be used right away if the lactation center at the hospital doesn't have one already.

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 02-20-2009 3:10 PM In reply to

Funny you should mention hospital personal.

I just got a call from a LC who works at the breastfeeding center I'm employed at and she also works at the hospital where the birth will take place. She told me to expect lots of resistence from many staff, both LC's (!) and nurses.

She did see adoptive mom today, and sent her home with a sns system, More Milk Plus and a pump. Adoptive mom pumped and produced two drops...WOW!

I think the basic plan is. That bio mom will nurse while in the hospital, and when the baby is released, they will go directly to the LC center for help.

Mary

• 02-20-2009 7:03 PM In reply to

Sounds like a good plan, doulamary!  In addition to the standby herbs that women try, do you have the list of foods that Susun Weed suggests to increase milk supply?

Susan

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. --E.B. White
  • 02-20-2009 9:45 PM In reply to

Thanks, great suggestion, didn't think of it!

Thanks so much! Big Smile

Mary

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.