in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Twins and Breeches

Last post 02-20-2014 7:12 PM by marlenecpm. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-20-2013 5:38 PM

Twins and Breeches

What states are midwives allowed to deliver twins and breeches?

• 01-21-2013 1:32 PM In reply to

Re: Twins and Breeches

I just looked at the laws in MN and it looks like they are faverable for both twins and breeches. I think that in CO it is illigal for a midwife to do eather at home. Any other insites from other states? 

I should clarify why i am doing this. I live in CO where it is not favorable to have twins at home. I have had a fear of getting pregnant with twins (i am an older mom)  and being thrown to the wolves for an unwarnted c-sec. so, to combat the fear i am looking arround me at other states and options to help empower me to overcome this fear. There are options. i am also posting it here to help others who may be faced with this problem. 

• 03-08-2013 3:00 PM In reply to

OH has no laws limiting non-nurse midwifery.  So we are free to use our own descretion whether or not to attend twins, breeches, VBACs etc. A few yrs ago, I even attended the birth of breech twins! The 1st was a frank breech & the 2nd was transverse, but after waiting a few hrs for him to change position, he finally came out heels 1st.  Some midwives do attend these kinds of births, some don't. I am sure there are indepent thinking midwives that would agree to do any of the above, regardless of legalities in all 50 states. You just might have to look harder in some staes than others.

• 07-03-2013 4:09 AM In reply to

Marlene,

I have a question. Where did you get the practical experience to attend breech and twin births? I am an independent midwife  working on my own and never had much experience with breech or twin births before I started working on my own. And I don't want to attend any without having a good amount of previous experience with them. But nowadays where does one get that kind of experience? Just wondering....

Nina

Nina Rinkes, homebirth midwife

"Life shrinks and expands in relation to one's courage." Anais Nin
  • 02-20-2014 7:12 PM In reply to

Sorry it took me so long to see this post. Well, I still don't have a lot of experience, with those scenarios, but I've done a lot of reading, watching videos, attending conferences (Like the International Breech Conference in MD a few years ago.) and learning by the seat of my pants. For example, with my 1st set of twins, I asked the mom to get an US so we'd have a better idea of her particular risk  factors. She did. They were both head down, w separate sacs & placentas. We discussed all alternatives & relative risks. I told her I had never done twins at home before. God was good, He made my 1st set easy for me! The twins stayed facing each other, one on each side. so I could easily find both heartbeats the whole time, & they were as low risk as possible. She had one sister who had twins in the hospital & one died. She had another sister who had twins at home (unattended!) & they were fine, so it was easy for her to chose to stay home. Once I had done one set, it was easier to feel confident doing another. I always am straight with my clients, regardless of what risk factors were involved. We go over pros & cons, weighing risks & advantages. I am always clear what my experience with that circumstance is or isn't.  Informed consent goes a long way. I serve my clients in whatever way they feel is best for them (with some personal; comfort boundries od course.) But for the most past, I know God won't give me more than I can handle... What He brings me to; He brings me through. This is no guarantee everything will be great. I just step out in faith, going where ever He leads me..

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.