in

Midwifery Today Community

A home for friends of birth
Attend the Midwifery Today conference in Harrisburg

Nursing student/wife/mom looking into missions

Last post 12-03-2012 2:11 PM by acgalat. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-03-2012 2:11 PM

Nursing student/wife/mom looking into missions

Hello! I am in my senior year of nursing school in Illinois for my baccalaureate degree. I am on track to graduate December 2013. I started school full-time, but switched to part-time when my son was born. I had a homebirth in January (2012) with a CPM (though not licensed in Illinois) and a family friend/lay midwife. I loved it and am very interested in helping other women with healthy pregnancies have natural births. I am also married to a wonderful husband who is graduating with his bachelor's at the same time. We are looking into mission work after school and I'm wondering what the best preparation is for being a midwife overseas, likely in rural areas away from medical care.

I have considered becoming a CNM, but don't think that will be practical with our family's finances. I'm also hoping to be a stay-at-home mom and wife after school, except for increasing my knowledge and skills in midwifery. In other words, I won't be doing this for the money, but for the experience.

I would like to be able to practice in the states, but know certain certifications and credentials are required to legally practice. I want to competent, but I don't want to have to jump through all of the legal hoops if it requires several more years of school and fees. Thoughts?

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Subscribe to Midwifery Today magazine
Contact UsTerms of UsePrivacy PolicyAbout Us
© 2014 Midwifery Today, Inc.